Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Welcome!

Welcome! 21 Dec 2010 00:50 #179

"My entire practice journal is gone now, too, all three chapters spanning over a year."

Kenneth has written to inform me that my threads have not been removed. I looked for them this afternoon but couldn't find anything older than a few months but he's provided me with the links to my stuff. So I was wrong about them being missing. Sorry about that!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Welcome! 21 Dec 2010 14:45 #180

And when I looked this morning all the older threads on KFDh have reappeared. I could only find five pages of older threads yesterday. Now there are something like 35! That's a much appreciated thing, as there is a lot of value in there.

Welcome! 21 Dec 2010 16:35 #181

One more time -- I apologize for leaving the impression - though I didn't think this at the time and still don't - that Kenneth was responsible for the removal of old threads on KFDh. When I looked for old threads there yesterday afternoon there were only 5 pages of them available, going back only a few moths. This was odd, so I went back twice in the space of an half hour to check. Every time I looked, there were five pages of old threads.

So Kenneth, apologies.

Welcome! 21 Dec 2010 19:04 #182

Dude! Whoa! Interested in hearing more from you.

Welcome! 21 Dec 2010 19:07 #183

One more time -- I apologize for leaving the impression - though I didn't think this at the time and still don't - that Kenneth was responsible for the removal of old threads on KFDh. When I looked for old threads there yesterday afternoon there were only 5 pages of them available, going back only a few moths. This was odd, so I went back twice in the space of an half hour to check. Every time I looked, there were five pages of old threads.So Kenneth, apologies.

-cmarti

Blame it on Wet Paint.

Welcome! 21 Dec 2010 21:11 #184

Hello everyone!
Thanks for the warm welcome; I'd have posted sooner but have been quite busy with the end-of-semester finals. Although I haven't posted I have read a few of the conversations here, and am happy to be part of a non-dogmatic online community. I had a similar experience with Kenneth, Brian, in terms of making progress but having a falling out based on, from my perspective anyway, a pattern I noticed of being treated very differently depending on whether I accepted Kenneth's interpretations, language, and so on. I was impressed with his skillful instruction and attainments but I was not impressed with the way in which this skillful instruction seemed to depend on my swallowing his interpretations whole, particularly when they strongly conflicted with mine.
Of course, this is generally how people treat each other in most contexts, but I have this funny sense that "spirituality" is more than cultivating altered states and experiences, or even having a transformation in how we relate to experience. I suspect the attainment of liberation/4th path in the sense of the pragmatic dharma community is a real and valuable basis from which to explore the full dimensionality of human, natural and spiritual being, and not only that, but an honest inquiry into the nature of one's existence, conducted holistically in everyday life supplemented with regular sitting, should produce this basis naturally. When arising out of a holistic practice, I suspect that this realization will have very different significance for oneself and one's relations than if it arises out of a more narrowly technical practice conceived as separate from the rest of life.
I'll have to offer a synopsis of my path thus far in another note as parenting calls---
Jake

Welcome! 01 Jan 2011 16:31 #185

Happy New Year!

Welcome! 21 Feb 2011 18:23 #186

Hi, I'm Florian, I'm a regular at the Dharma Overground, I occasionally drop by on KFDh, and I used to post at the Baptists Head forum and the Open Enlightenment blog while they lasted. My meditation practice has benefited a lot from my participation in these places. For some reason, the kind of people whom I consider my Dharma Siblings are a restless, migratory species, founding new colonies on the internet every few months :) But if tracking down hidden pockets of them is the price to pay for sharing their invaluable companionship, I'm more than willing to pay it.

Cheers,
Florian

Welcome! 21 Feb 2011 18:51 #187

Welcome, Florian!

- Chris

Welcome! 21 Feb 2011 19:49 #188

Thanks for joining us, Florian!

Welcome! 21 Feb 2011 23:13 #189

Awesome to see you here buddy!

Welcome! 22 Feb 2011 07:57 #190

Hey, thanks for the welcome.

Cheers,
Florian

Welcome! 24 Feb 2011 18:22 #191

Hi Florian, welcome on the new hot dharma forum!
We haven't met in real live. I will have to find an excuse to travel to Zurich on of these days.

Welcome! 25 Feb 2011 19:35 #192

Hi Alex, Florian and everyone else - I recognize some names from other places!

Ona here, aka "girasol" in some
previous incarnations. I am looking forward to the kind of fascinating,
wide-ranging and intelligent discussion I've been missing for a while.

My practice is in western magick. The meditation aspect of my practice
got kickstarted by the death of a friend and reading Ingram's book, the
magick part I didn't know I was looking for - but it got quickly
incorporated via the usual synchronicities. It unexpectedly reconnected
me with a magickal/shamanic practice I had had many years ago, but
abandoned.

I like being eclectic and dislike dogma. I like experimenting. Despite my deep involvement in magick I am not a fan of robes, candles and chanting. However, I do occasionally pop in to a local Tendai center or sit with a Tibetan lama just for the socializing and the energy that comes from working in a group and the esoteric tidbits that I pick up in those contexts.

That said I am rigorous in my meditation which was Theravada-esque for a good while and is now more just sitting type practice. I did a five month self retreat from August to December last year, and worked (and still do) one on one with a mentor to give me a whack on the head if I get off track. It's done me a world of good.

Anyway, besides that I work in social media/IT and as a freelance writer. I have two incomplete master's degrees, one in Religious Studies and one in Interactive Telecom. Despite all the years in academia I am not a big reader, preferring to just do stuff and see what happens.

Looking forward to the conversations...

Welcome! 25 Feb 2011 20:04 #193

Welcome, Ona!

Welcome! 25 Feb 2011 22:49 #194

Hi Ona! Great to see you here; I enjoyed your contributions on Open Enlightenment ;-)

Welcome! 26 Feb 2011 00:13 #195

Oh thank you! Nice to see you again too!

Welcome! 26 Feb 2011 16:16 #196

Hi Ona,
nice to meet you again.
Cheers,
Florian

Welcome! 27 Feb 2011 14:12 #197

Welcome, Ona. Glad you've joined us here.

- Chris

Welcome! 03 Mar 2011 22:07 #198

Hello fellow Dharma Refugees...
The name hit home. As I read through some of the blog posts, the intelligence and inspiration that I read touched a place in me that I have been missing; namely authenticity and honesty.

I come to you from a pretty rough place. As of January 2011, I am a former student of Genpo Roshi of the Big Mind Zen Center in Salt Lake City, Utah. Chris was kind enough to tell me that I didn't need to post that I am his former student, but it is part of who I am and part of my practice. For the past two months I have been floating around feeling like the rug was ripped out from under me and my practice had no ground. I am slowly descending back on tera firma, though with the small Zen community in SLC, it is a very difficult process to find a new home. Hence, the name Dharma Refugee meant a lot to me.

The fact that Genpo was the FIRST man I have ever trusted and he turned out to be almost my father's twin, I have had quite the ride. Luckily, I studied the man my dad was and the pathology he walked through life with. Unfortunately, I didn't recognize the similarities in Genpo until it was a little too late. Or maybe it was just in time... I have learned so much. And I continue to do so. I know that my practice does not belong to anyone but me. I know that a leader is assigned his/her importance by me and that I will never again submit to a teacher as a "higher power". We all have something to teach. We all have something to learn.

It is this, the desire to teach and to learn, that I am excited to be part of this forum.

With palms together,
Whitney

Welcome! 03 Mar 2011 22:17 #199

Welcome, Whitney!
  • Dharma Comarade

Welcome! 03 Mar 2011 22:45 #200

Whitney, glad to see you here, and posting.

- Chris

Welcome! 03 Mar 2011 23:53 #201

Hi Chris! and welcome Whitney!

Welcome! 04 Mar 2011 12:17 #202

Welcome and thanks for sharing your story!

Welcome! 04 Mar 2011 16:26 #203

Whitney, thank you so much for sharing some of your story. While you may be the only member of our forum who was a student of Genpo Roshi, there are many of us here who have had difficult, even somewhat traumatic, experiences with various spiritual communities and teachers.

We welcome you to our small community of human beings who share some similar interests, and who want to continue to grow in our respective spiritual practices. I hope that you find this forum to be a supportive and safe place to share your ideas and have meaningful conversations.

Jackson
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds