If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Welcome!

Welcome! 22 Aug 2018 11:17 #109750

Welcome, Jack! I've found this group to be thoughtful and supportive, so please feel encouraged to be as active as your time and interest permits.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Welcome! 22 Aug 2018 12:11 #109751

So glad to see your lovely, smiling face here! :cheer: We’re really hopping on this forum these days, so sit back, put your feet up, and stay awhile. :)

Welcome! 22 Aug 2018 15:10 #109753

Hello everyone,

My name is Sam, I'm a 28 year old married grad student in chemistry living in Boston, MA. When I'm not working I like to play guitar, read, surf the internet, play video games, hang out with my wife, explore the city, and meditate. I have been practicing for 2 years with The Mind Illuminated (mostly). I have been somewhat involved in other online dharma communities as well as occasional sitting with some local groups. I would like to find a place where I can get to know people who share my unique interests, and perhaps get a practice log going. I have worked with a couple of wonderful teachers, and they have guided me to great success in my practice, but currently I am not regularly meeting with a teacher due to budget constraints. I am delighted to find this community, and I hope I can make some sort of contribution and get feedback from others on my practice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol, Andy, Kacchapa, Laurel Carrington, Michael V, Curious Malcolm

Welcome! 22 Aug 2018 16:02 #109755

Welcome, Sam - I recognize you from DhO. I hope you can find a nice "home" here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SigmaTropic

Welcome! 25 Jan 2019 15:49 #110287

Hi, I am John.

I am just a usual person, on the path, fettering out the fetters :P Starting to dedicate a lot of hours towards it. The ultimate paradox of wanting enlightenment but if I gain it I won't be enlightened because there is no I to be enlightened.

Wow doesn't that sound complicated?
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol, Kacchapa, Curious Malcolm

Welcome! 25 Jan 2019 17:14 #110288

Welcome, John.

Welcome! 21 Feb 2019 03:47 #110526

Hi everyone, I'm Malcolm. Some of you might know me as 'curious' on DhO. I'm really grateful for all the help and guidance that has already come my way from many of you.

Anyway, here I am, and looking forward to being part of this group. I live a conventional kind of life as a professional, husband, and father of three beautiful daughters. But I've had dharma disease for a few years now. And loving it! I took refuge as a teenager, although that didn't mean so much to me at the time. But seeing the mindfulness movement a few years ago encouraged me to dig in behind it, and see what it was all about. I found a lecture series from Bikkhu Bodhi that I listened to bit by bit, as I went cycling by the river. Then I read lots of internet resources, and eventually I stumbled on MCTB. I've read pretty widely since, and practiced on my own in quite a few varied ways. MCTB has had a huge influence on me, although I practice anapansati and satipatthana rather than Mahasi-style noting. Anyway, the dharma is a huge part of my life, so it would be great to have some closer companions in the journey. I guess I started as a materialist atheist with a psychological bent, but these days I'm more open to other kinds of thinking.

Looks like my handle might include my full name. That's ok - I don't want to be anonymous. But I will ask Tom to truncate it, as I would prefer not to show up in google searches from the other communities I participate in.
Last Edit: 21 Feb 2019 05:20 by Curious Malcolm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Marti, shargrol, Ona Kiser, Andy, Kacchapa, matthew sexton, Noah, Kalle Ylitalo, Junglist

Welcome! 21 Feb 2019 04:27 #110527

Welcome Malcolm!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Curious Malcolm

Welcome! 21 Feb 2019 06:46 #110530

Good to have you here "curious"/Malcolm!
Last Edit: 21 Feb 2019 06:46 by shargrol.

Welcome! 21 Feb 2019 08:57 #110535

Good to see you here, Malcolm!

Welcome! 21 Feb 2019 09:53 #110539

Hello!

Welcome! 09 Mar 2019 13:30 #110767

Hi everyone,

I begun reading the welcome topic back in 2010 so I guess that were the times I started the journey and I recognize to a certain extent the outlook I kind of adhered at that moment so to speak.

9 years fast forward and skipping the 27 pages or so of the Welcome I got here and I believe there is something to that relating to what the Welcome topics back in 2010 said. So yes kind of misfit and kind of sensitive to authority. I abide to authority where I see love without strings attached so I usually surrender on that occasions other than that I tend to rebel ... which I haven't been able to moderate too extensively ... Perhaps maybe a tint.

This is like a midlife point and a moment where all the first years of life seem to come to a certain conclusiveness in way that I can coherently discern to a certain point. So I am now a student in Eckhart Tolle School of Awakening, following Deepak Chopra and Roger Gabriel closely and I attend a meditation practice for about 7-8 months now. I am following Richard Rohr's Newsletter now. I took part in satsangs organized by Ram Dass and Jai Dev Singh and learned Surya Kriya and Isha Kriya.

Being involved in so many practices and traditions brought some confusion and I am hopefully finding a way out of it. I find relief in meditation and satsangs and I usually tend to get involved in topics which are not the mainstream note of the forums I follow. On Philokalia I posted articles with Eckhart and Richard Rohr, in SOA I posted transcripts with OSHO, in Jai Dev Singh community I posted links from Jack Kornfield and on Ram Dass Facebook Community I posted also something from I do not remember and I met some resistance. So I guess that's how I ended up here. A man in SOA, named Grace Anew was kind to point this forum to which I immediately subscribed not knowing exactly what is it all about.

So I am glad to meet you!
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol, Ona Kiser, Andy, Kacchapa, Curious Malcolm

Welcome! 09 Mar 2019 13:37 #110768

Welcome Vlad!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

Welcome! 09 Mar 2019 13:54 #110770

Hello, Vlad, and welcome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

Welcome! 25 Mar 2019 11:33 #110979

Hi! My name is Linda, but I’m used to being called Polly Ester or Polly online so it sometimes feels strange when people use my birthname. You are welcome to use any of the names. Presenting myself feels slightly uncomfortable because once the story is out there one may get trapped by the construction. In a forum like this, the risk is probably smaller, though. Still, I’m unsure of what to say. Feel free to ask!

Some loosely attached labels that say something about me are: neurodivergent; cross-disciplinary researcher in the field of dementia, could be described as a communication ethnographer; parent of a teenage son; catlover; happily in love with a number of persons; polyamorous, pansexual and non-binary; and since six months back I’m very much a meditation and yoga nerd and apparently a phenomenology junkie.

MCTB2 gave me my life back.

I’m currently working with Michael Taft as my coach and going through an intense development. I think I’m in my first review phase since a few days back, but I know that it is very common to mistake other things for the real thing so it is my very preliminary assessment. I haven’t even had the chance to talk to Michael about it yet, so he might disagree. Whatever it is, I’m enjoying it. I’m most grateful to everyone who have shared their knowledge and offered advice, and happy to be alive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol

Welcome! 25 Mar 2019 11:42 #110980

Welcome!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Linda ”Polly Ester”

Welcome! 25 Mar 2019 12:17 #110981

Howdy, fellow poly-person! I'm queer myself, and a little gender variant. You're welcome here!

Welcome! 25 Mar 2019 14:07 #110983

Welcome! Glad to have you here.

Welcome! 25 Mar 2019 16:49 #110987

Welcome, great to have you here.

Welcome! 25 Mar 2019 16:55 #110988

Welcome! Wot they said innit.
Time to create page: 0.232 seconds