Insight during dreams

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #99368 by Femtosecond
This morning I was in bed having dream in which I had a minor a&p like vibrating experience in my head, closely tied up with tension and pressure in the same place.

What do you guys think things like this are? Are they like a hallucination/fiction that you are just dreaming, or is it a real insight event that the dream then wraps itself around?

Or, what else?
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Femtosecond.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #99369 by Doug
Replied by Doug on topic Insight during dreams
I read a "diagnostic" thread once over on DhO by Kenneth Folk that implied dream events count.

I'll find it and link it... Here
( http://www.dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/discussion/-/message_boards/view_message/98873#_19_message_98873 )

Check out "case study 2" in that post.

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #99370 by Chris Marti
Replied by Chris Marti on topic Insight during dreams
Some level of awareness seems to be all that insight requires. We are at a level of awareness when asleep in all its manifestations. In my experience insight can come at any time, and whenever it comes it matters.
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Chris Marti.

More
8 years 9 months ago #99381 by Tom Otvos
Replied by Tom Otvos on topic Insight during dreams
Thank goodness the KFD archives are here! Your question prompted me to look for something that happened to me, and with a quick search I found it right away. Here is an experience I had, that I still remember to this day:

awakenetwork.org/forum/kfd-archive-wetpa...nd-deliverance#54419

-- tomo

More
8 years 9 months ago #99383 by Doug
Replied by Doug on topic Insight during dreams
Wow Tom - I don't want to hijack this thread but reading the experience you linked to Just want ask a question or two.

That "flag pole" experience is REALLY happening to me.
If I focus on it - it gets more and more pronounced, to the point where I'm sure I'm ACTUALLY swaying.
I don't get the tremors you're describing, but I am fighting with increased back pain. (which could just be back pain, I dunno)

Did they just pass?
Did they lead to anything helpful?

More
8 years 9 months ago #99390 by Kate Gowen
Replied by Kate Gowen on topic Insight during dreams
This thing about tremors while sleeping is of great personal interest.

I have only had one big deal dream, but it felt then like a vision and an initiation that I could let unfurl for the rest of my life.

The scenario was this: it was at a fraught, acutely conflicted point in my life-- I'd been having serious problems with asthma for a few years, all three of my children had been through terrifying crises within those years; I was 6 months into a job where the office politics were Machiavellian. And at this job, I'd begun to be friends with someone who was as uncannily familiar as if we were picking things up from a previous lifetime. I was anticipating my first visit to his place, the next day.

It had become routine for me to wake up at 2 am-- every night-- unable to breathe, and to sit up and concentrate on managing, one breath after the other. This night was different, though: I began to dream that I was at my friend's ranch, and that when we embraced in greeting, I began to shake and cry, trying to express how it felt to have encountered a kindred spirit, so unexpectedly in late middle age and in the difficult context of the hostile workplace.

The shaking kept increasing in intensity, and all my focus beamed in on the sensation. Then somehow there was a tacit illumination as if an instruction was taking place, my understanding was being guided-- it wasn't just my muscles and body shaking; there was a finer vibration that was happening inside the tissues... inside the cells... inside the atoms. I understood that it was a pulse generated by all the fundamental polarities, it was the yin-yang, toward-from, self-other electricity that powers everything, at every level.

The speed and the "interiority" of the vibration increased to its maximum-- and there was just silence, luminosity, stillness. Not as an object of awareness, not as a contrast to anything-- just as the primal reality of everything. A breathing, glowing radiance, more known than felt, more felt than seen.

It was the breathing that woke me up, in a state of clarity and grace. It made me remember the Daoist text about the sages of ancient times, with their perfect equanimity, who "breathed, like infants, from the heels." Because it was as if all my cells could breathe, effortlessly, as an expression of delight.

The sense of everything forming itself out of primal radiance recurred, from time to time, for some years-- until it just became part of my personal cosmology. And the clue that really lit up Dzogchen when I encountered my first texts a couple of years later.

In recent years, I have wondered if there wasn't some intense physiological crisis going on--anoxia-- having to do with the asthma. Until my pulling-up-stakes health crisis a year and a half ago, that night was pretty much the end of it.

More
8 years 9 months ago #99391 by Ona Kiser
Replied by Ona Kiser on topic Insight during dreams
I have often had insights, "practice" kinds of moments, supernatural encounters and so on in dreams. I know several people who have had significant, life-changing sorts of insights while sleeping. You might like that book about sleep and consciousness... The Head Trip, by Jeff Warren www.jeffwarren.org/websites/the-head-trip-website/

More
8 years 9 months ago #99419 by every3rdthought

Femtosecond wrote: This morning I was in bed having dream in which I had a minor a&p like vibrating experience in my head, closely tied up with tension and pressure in the same place.

What do you guys think things like this are? Are they like a hallucination/fiction that you are just dreaming, or is it a real insight event that the dream then wraps itself around?

I'm of the opinion that there isn't a real distinction there. For sure I've had dreams where spiritual openings seemed to happen that seemed to have gone later, but that's also true of openings that happened when I was awake...