If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Bill Hamilton and the Apple Tree

Bill Hamilton and the Apple Tree 01 Nov 2015 07:04 #100965

My morning coffee is hitting me... but I think the buzz I'm feeling is the feeling of a good idea.

For context: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dharma_Seed

"On the last night of [a meditation retreat], the ashes of Bill Hamilton, founder of the Dharma Seed Tape Library, were brought to Cloud Mountain. Bill had lived on Whidbey Island and had many friends in the Seattle sangha. In March of that year, Bill was told he had pancreatic cancer. A woman on the retreat outlined the story of his hospitalization and surgery, amazed at how affable and pleasant he had been through his suffering. Bill had wanted to be buried whole underneath an apple tree, but since such burials weren't allowed in Washington, a small apple tree was bought, a hole dug by the pond here, and his ashes were sent."

If this story is true... What about the dharma children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren of Bill -- by which I mean Kenneth and Daniel, and their students, and their student's students, and folks in the loose sanga who value the practical dharma practices -- why don't we all meet at the apple tree and say thanks as a tribute to Bill?

Timing would be in the spring if there is a Buddhist Geeks Conference that year or in the fall if there isn't a BG Conference. I assume Cloud Mountain refers to the retreat site in Castle Rock, Washington, USA.

May all being benefit and be happy from anything that results from this idea.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurel Carrington, Jarno Rantaharju, Elizabeth

Bill Hamilton and the Apple Tree 01 Nov 2015 07:31 #100968

I think they rent out the facility, so you could organize a "Bill Hamilton Memorial Retreat" one weekend if you can find a teacher and enough people willing and able to sign up for the weekend and travel there.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol, Laurel Carrington, Elizabeth
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds