Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Vividness on Enlightenment

Vividness on Enlightenment 30 Mar 2019 13:42 #111015

I just read this and had a whopping good time:

vividness.live/2012/09/13/epistemology-a...nt/#whoisenlightened

I think it’s important to avoid both starry-eyed romantic fantasies, and also stubborn refusal to recognize the value of Buddhism lest you get fooled again. It is good to be skeptical, to ask “is this really true?,” to take nothing at face value. It is not good to blind yourself to what you can see is true, useful, or beautiful because you are afraid to trust.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Vividness on Enlightenment 30 Mar 2019 16:53 #111017

The feelings of things or oneself being useless, of enlightenment not being anything definable, of self-doubt, of everyone just making stuff up, etc. are 'stage related', I'm sure. I wouldn't plant a flag on any of them, in any case. Just as there's no need, as the author says, to plant a flag on 'oneness' or 'everything is different now' or other mystical experiences. For that matter I don't plant flags on any trendy dietary suggestions nor any social movements, political views (on any side), anxiety-provoking disaster scenarios, etc. that happen to be current in certain places/times/cultures.

"YMMV" as you like to say. ;)

The author seems very familiar, but I don't remember where from... unless perhaps from older blogs of his...?

Vividness on Enlightenment 30 Mar 2019 16:55 #111018

Though just a sciencey disaster aside - most interesting article I've read in ages:

www.washingtonpost.com/science/2019/03/2...m_term=.b7c0187426a2

Vividness on Enlightenment 31 Mar 2019 14:59 #111020

The author seems very familiar, but I don't remember where from... unless perhaps from older blogs of his...?

He's got another blog called "Meaningness." His name is David Chapman:

About me
I did a PhD in artificial intelligence at MIT. My undergraduate degree was in math. I’ve also studied cognitive science, biochemistry, Old English and Ancient Greek literature. None of that qualifies me to write Meaningness, but it may explain a certain STEM-ish orientation, decorated with occasional literary jokes. The closest thing I’ve written to an autobiography explains how I became a fictional character in Ken Wilber’s philosophical novel about artificial intelligence.

I have founded, managed, grown, and sold a successful biotech informatics company. That may explain a certain practical orientation, and lack of interest in philosophical theories that depend on the world being very unlike the way it appears.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ona Kiser
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds