Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Looky! More science

Looky! More science 13 Apr 2012 19:57 #4279

I'm noticing how much more interested I am in the process of questioning, than I am in 'the answers'; and the very LEAST interesting answers are the ones that 'everybody knows.'

I think I've taken Amy Poehler's snarky skepticism as my current inquiry: "REALLY??" It's pretty amusing to greet all the media-provided generalizations this way; and then there are all the things I think I know, to treat likewise. Maybe I'm just a regressive old throwback to the smokin' '60s-- I really enjoy the state of bemused befuddlement, considering that everything might be very different than I've been assuming, and that 'everyone says.'

Something that came up in a conversation yesterday: 'We've ALWAYS been 'the 99%'; why/how did it become what people are willing to SAY? Similarly, I could concur that 'nobody is interested in investigative spirituality'-- and then I'd have to admit that this is not true of anyone I know personally, including members of my family of origin with whom I've not been in touch for years, now that we've reconnected on FaceBook.

So-- I wonder...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Looky! More science 13 Apr 2012 21:26 #4280

Exactly, Kate. Assuming things and making generalizations can make it easier to navigate the world in a practical way - if last time we encountered a tiger it tried to eat us, perhaps best we be cautious if we see another tiger - but you can find yourself delightfully surprised if you engage with people as human beings, that many times they don't live up to the preconception you had about them. I have had quite sensitive and unexpectedly deep and sensitive spiritual conversations with people who I assumed just didn't fit in that category, from suit-wearing millionaire CEOs to conservative church-going ladies to precisely-turned-out rich girls to non-nonsense get-the-government-off-my-back country folk.

What some people will say in a respectful private conversation is different than how they will perform when in a group of peers, too, where their fear of exclusion overrides their hearts.

"Really?" is a great question to ask.

Looky! More science 14 Apr 2012 05:02 #4281

Looky here:

I had a wonderful dinner conversation tonight with a senior military officer from the Pentagon, a young Russian telecom executive, a big pharma company executive and the former head of Yahoo!'s tech incubator here in Silicon Valley. The topic? Tibetan Buddhism. Turns out the Yahoo! guy is a theoretical physicist by training and has studied Tibetan Buddhism extensively. He, too, is of a mind that says the two world views, both devoted to investigation, are not only compatible but mutually supportive.

This is the embodiment of my thesis. I can die happy ;-)

Looky! More science 14 Apr 2012 05:31 #4282

Looky! More science 14 Apr 2012 11:05 #4283

Sounds delightful, Chris!

Looky! More science 14 Apr 2012 11:21 #4284

The networking is sublime ;-)

Looky! More science 14 Apr 2012 11:39 #4285

May it benefit your career.

Looky! More science 14 Apr 2012 11:53 #4286

Yeah, and may I please stop being wide awake at 4:00 AM.

Looky! More science 14 Apr 2012 17:08 #4287

Indra's networking will do that-- plugged into BIG power now, baby!

Looky! More science 19 Apr 2012 23:24 #4288

Had a dinner date with Gary Weber yesterday evening. I asked him where he thought neuroscience research on meditation was headed in the next 20 years. He says in the next five we will have mapped the brain pathways for selfing and non-selfing networks in the brain. He also envisions a biofeedback device that consists of a electrode net for your head hooked into a smartphone/tablet. The associated computer program will measure when you go into non-selfing by easy color coded bars so that you get immediate feedback of what non-selfing (non-dual) states "feel" like. Then, you can practice generating those over and over again. He feels that this is a more efficacious route to awakening.

I'd be willing to try it out. Why not?

Looky! More science 20 Apr 2012 14:02 #4289

"He also envisions a biofeedback device that consists of a electrode net for your head hooked into a smartphone/tablet. The associated computer program will measure when you go into non-selfing by easy color coded bars so that you get immediate feedback of what non-selfing (non-dual) states "feel" like."

I've been defending science 'round here but this just seems silly to me. As much as I respect Gary Weber this is the kind of thing that gives technology, science and engineering a bad reputation. Since when do we need a computer program to realize when we're "selfing?" In our quest to obtain everything as fast as we can we are willing to sacrifice work, training, dedication, patience, knowing, wisdom.

Meh.

Looky! More science 20 Apr 2012 14:26 #4290

Wait a minute, this from the guy who posted a thread about "what if there were a magic button so people could wake up instantly?" and why you'd stick your kids in it right away if it existed?

Looky! More science 20 Apr 2012 14:37 #4291

That was a question, not a prescription. Curiosity does not equal advocacy, right?

Looky! More science 20 Apr 2012 14:43 #4292

"In our quest to obtain everything as fast as we can we are willing to sacrifice work, training, dedication, patience, knowing, wisdom.- chris

You could work, train, dedicate, be patient in using this device. It doesn't seem to be any different. Just another tool, "techne" of the mind.

Looky! More science 20 Apr 2012 14:54 #4293

Yes, and I hope you're right, Sunyata.
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds