Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Rebirth

Rebirth 13 Mar 2012 23:14 #4999

Sit.
pay attention to what is really happening in an open, choiceless disembedded way.
Get up.
Pay attention to each activity of getting up in an open choiceless disembedded way.
Walk, talk, work, relate, think.
Pay attention to all those things in an open choiceless disembedded way.
Keep doing this with continuity and momentum no matter what. No matter if you are healthy, happy, angry, said, anxious, nice, mean, tired, hungry, full, bored, inspired (dharma gates are boundless, I vow to enter them).
Keep it up with a gentle, committed resolve -- and you will taste emptiness. It's right here, right now, all the time.
  • Dharma Comarade
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Rebirth 13 Mar 2012 23:22 #5000

. A lot of the time, just remembering to be awake is all it takes.

-awouldbehipster

Pa

la

bra

!
  • Dharma Comarade

Rebirth 14 Mar 2012 20:28 #5001

All I know is, once you get a belief >as a belief<, you poop in your pants (or something close) and you are never the same. I'm paraphrasing an old teacher of mine.
:D
p.s. I think he actually called it a bung hole puckering experience.
p.p.s. Yes I am drunk on my front porch, after a very hard day of housework.
p.p.p.s. And yes, in a very weird twist of life, I'm listening to the only grateful dead songs I've ever liked (on youtube). (China Cat and Franklin's Tower.)
p.p.p.p.s. Oddly, I edited this post -- not to erase it, but to change wierd to weird.

-shargrol
hahahaha :) Best post in this thread so far hands down, I do believe lol

Rebirth 14 Mar 2012 23:30 #5002

Maybe most embarrasing the day after. :)

Anything that get's the coveted Mike palabra is usually the best post in the thread.

Rebirth 15 Mar 2012 00:15 #5003

Maybe we need the day after pill for message boards.

Rebirth 15 Mar 2012 05:34 #5004

Y'all are nuts. That shit's just attention; being present in the moment is just about turning the attention to the senses for a couple seconds. Big whoop! Talk about belief—that's just another self image to fall into, the highly aware, totally present meditator. Tasting strawberries and smelling cowpies and the like. Keep pushing through!

Rebirth 15 Mar 2012 08:16 #5005

Y'all are nuts. That shit's just attention; being present in the moment is just about turning the attention to the senses for a couple seconds. Big whoop! Talk about belief—that's just another self image to fall into, the highly aware, totally present meditator. Tasting strawberries and smelling cowpies and the like. Keep pushing through!

-cruxdestruct

I'm not sure I understand.

There is a way to pay close attention to one's life just because one wants to be awake and not to match some self image of the strawberry tasting meditator. Though, I can see how some people might fall into that from time to time.
  • Dharma Comarade

Rebirth 15 Mar 2012 11:54 #5006

I'm not sure I get it either. Maybe cruxdestruct will explain.

Rebirth 15 Mar 2012 13:06 #5007

I think CD is saying that "just remembering is awakening" is very close to "you are already awake, no need to practice" and all the problems that go with that. (???)

Rebirth 15 Mar 2012 15:02 #5008

"That shit's just attention; being present in the moment is just about turning the attention to the senses for a couple seconds. Big whoop!" -CD

I don't care for dismissive statements, such as, "that's just ___." In my experience, that's not an effective way to get your point across; especially when the individuals in your audience have a backbone.

"Talk about belief—that's just another self image to fall into, the highly aware, totally present meditator. Tasting strawberries and smelling cowpies and the like. Keep pushing through!" -CD

The point is well taken, so long as this particular self image is actually an obstacle to one's practice in the moment. This isn't always the case. From a conservative perspective (which you appear to convey), the path is fabricated; rather, is a process of fabrication, shaped by perception. Shaping perceptions intentionally is a way to learn how the whole process works. There's room for suggesting that these states and perspectives are to be cultivated, rather than dismissed.

I agree that "keep pushing through" is generally good advice, so long as the advisor is privy to the subtleties [of the] advisees practice. Sometimes, "stay with it" is more appropriate.

EDIT: Grammar.
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds