Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Lust for rebirth

Lust for rebirth 31 Jan 2012 17:35 #5366

Can one feel lust for rebirth if one doesn't believe in rebirth? (Random question coming from a ten-fetters chat with a friend.) Is there an equivalent for non-rebirthers? Like just wanting not to die, or to go to heaven or something like that?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Lust for rebirth 31 Jan 2012 18:36 #5367

Well, most everyone wants a do-over at some point or another! :)

Lust for rebirth 31 Jan 2012 19:21 #5368

Only usually with the catch that they want to "do-over" with the knowledge they have when asked. ie would you actually want to be 13 again, NOT as some kind of wiser adult who knows better going back to a 13 year old body, but exactly like it really is to be 13, with all the ignorance, impulses, awkwardness and so on?

You couldn't pay me to redo infancy, childhood, 18 years of primary and secondary education, working at the fast food restaurant as a teen, awkward dating, crappy just-graduated-from-college office jobs, and all that. Once was plenty.

Perhaps my only mild regret is that I didn't take more risks when I was young and flexible - such as trying new sports, traveling in more rugged places, going to more "burning man" type events, etc. I had some adventures, and had fun, but I tended to be cautious. Then again, maybe that's why I'm alive, relatively healthy, and relatively unscathed. And now I'm not much interested in such things.

Lust for rebirth 31 Jan 2012 21:18 #5369

I hear you, I'm probably too old for burning man... but that would be on my list, too. :)

But I think lust for rebirth is kinda like your examples. In terms of a fetter, it's really any wishful future-oriented thinking that has it's own built in fetish-like assumptions. If those assumptions are fully conscious or fully informed, I think it would be hard to call it a fetter.

So, lust for rebirth at burning man for my 22 year old self would be a fetter of sorts -- I would WANT it, NEED it, and feel bad if I didn't get it, because I assume it's going to be hedonistic heaven and a ham sandwich all in one. For my over-the-hill self, the fact that I'm assuming it would be that way is pretty clear to me as an assumption, plus my assumption also includes dust and sleep deprivation and diarrhea... so that wish isn't much of a fetter.

Lust for rebirth 31 Jan 2012 21:39 #5370

thanks for the laugh!!

Lust for rebirth 01 Feb 2012 11:10 #5371

Welcome, for sure!
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds