If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What is "The Wisdom Eye"?

What is "The Wisdom Eye"? 29 Oct 2012 15:39 #7632

So I've been re-reading MCTB lately, and in Daniel's modified 4 path model section he talks about how the "Dharma Eye" opens post stream entry and when one completes 4th Path then the Wisdom Eye opens - he says it closes again but that with continued practice it opens permanently. He also mentions that there are Arhats that have thier wisdom eye open but it closes again and doesn't re-open. (I've always kind of wondered if I might be one of those).

But there doesn't seem to be a good explanation anywhere for what this thing actually is. I've posted about this on other message boards in the past and never gotten a straight answer. Anyone here got a clue?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: What is "The Wisdom Eye"? 29 Oct 2012 16:10 #7634

Apart from what Daniel may refer to, the "wisdom eye" (paññacakkhu) is a term from the commentaries, as far as I know. I read somewhere (when trying to make sense of the same MCTB passage) that there are "five eyes" - the physical "fleshly" eye, divine, and so on, and the "wisdom eye" also figured in that list. It's the ability to perceive/understand abstract and specific characteristics of phenomena, IIRC. Like, "everything will come to an end (abstract) but let's still put out this fire before it kills us (specific)". No longer confusing the planes, that kind of thing. At least, that's what I understand it to mean. I'm pretty sure Daniel had something else in mind when he wrote that, though.

Cheers,
Florian

Re: What is "The Wisdom Eye"? 29 Oct 2012 16:28 #7635

My gut tells me the "wisdom eye" Ingram refers to is simply the capacity to see the nature of self-as-process. It does appear at stream entry and can reappear periodically for short periods thereafter but is opened permanently at 4th path. However, my experience is that it can still close at times (sometimes for exptended periods) but the baseline condition, the norm, is that post 4th path the wisdom eye is open.

JMHO, of course.

Re: What is "The Wisdom Eye"? 29 Oct 2012 22:21 #7639

Chris Marti wrote:
My gut tells me the "wisdom eye" Ingram refers to is simply the capacity to see the nature of self-as-process. It does appear at stream entry and can reappear periodically for short periods thereafter but is opened permanently at 4th path. However, my experience is that it can still close at times (sometimes for exptended periods) but the baseline condition, the norm, is that post 4th path the wisdom eye is open.

JMHO, of course.

That's helpful!

So what do you think the difference between the "Wisdom Eye" and the "Dharma Eye" is? Perhaps the Dharma Eye is the ability to see for oneself the truth of the teachings?

Re: What is "The Wisdom Eye"? 30 Oct 2012 00:00 #7640

Interesting question. I found this-- www.baus.org/baus/library/5eyese.html

-- cited in this blog: knockingfrominside.blogspot.com/2006/08/...yes-of-buddhism.html

as follows:

"Briefly, the five eyes referred to are not actual eyes; rather, they represent levels of understanding, different modes of perceiving reality.

The “physical eye” represents normal perception, which all physical beings share to some extent.
The “heaven eye” is still a purely physical perception, but can see further and deeper; C.T. Shen compares the heaven eye to the use of microscopes and various remote-sensing technologies.
The “wisdom eye” perceives the illusory nature of reality and penetrates to emptiness.
The “Dharma eye” acknowledges the truth perceived by the wisdom eye. However, the Dharma eye also sees that the suffering experienced by beings embedded in the illusion of reality is real to them; the Dharma eye is compassionate. It’s from this compassionate perception that the oath of the Boddhisatva arises: “Though sentient beings are numberless, we vow to save them all.”
Finally there is the “Buddha eye”. This perception is not describable or comprehensible in ordinary human terms; it can only be experienced. "

Re: What is "The Wisdom Eye"? 30 Oct 2012 01:31 #7641

Thanks Kate, those are very good!

Seems I confused Wisdom and Dharma eyes.

Cheers,
Florian

Re: What is "The Wisdom Eye"? 02 Jun 2016 01:49 #103513

I'm currently at Pa Auk Tawya and my teacher says wisdom eye is when I'm doing the four elements meditation and I see my skeleton and internal body. Originally I called it imagination but he interrupted me and corrected it to 'wisdom eye' so that's what is meant here at least.

Re: What is "The Wisdom Eye"? 03 Jun 2016 17:31 #103538

Usually "wisdom eye" refers to the ability to see the dharma. It's a metaphor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds