Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Kenneth Folk's Membership at the Camp

Kenneth Folk's Membership at the Camp 21 Dec 2010 16:15 #782

Hey everyone,

Just a heads up. Kenneth requested membership to the site as a way to engage in dialog with those of us who made the exodus away from KFDh to our new home here. Chris and I decided to allow him access.

The site has always been open for public viewing, but posting privileges are still restricted those the admins (Chris and I) approve. We are determined to maintain the integrity of this site by not allowing it to be flooded by any and everybody who wants to chime in. So, I don't want you all to think that Kenneth's admittance is linked to an open invitation to anyone who wants to join.

Let's hope for some fruitful dialog to ensue.

-Jackson
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Kenneth Folk's Membership at the Camp 21 Dec 2010 16:21 #783

Thanks, Jackson. I, too, hope positive things come as a result of this.

- Chris

Kenneth Folk's Membership at the Camp 21 Dec 2010 17:11 #784

Hi everyone,

I've been exchanging emails with Chris Marti for a little over a week now. I'd like to reprint the first note I sent to him, because it's what I want to say to all of you who felt hurt or confused by the shake-up at KFDh in September.

Hi Chris,

Just a note to let you know I'm thinking of you and hoping all is well with you and yours. Beth and I are doing well, planning on spending 10 days on retreat with dharma friends at their house in Maryland beginning on Friday. I've been spending my days as usual, talking with yogis on Skype and reading the practice threads. I miss you and some of the other fellows on the site and feel bad about what happened and my part in it. The irony is that I came to a deeper place in my own practice but was unable to express it initially in a way that would not be off-putting to others. I think a lot about that now... how to talk about things skillfully. I look around for examples of teachers who seem to do it well and also those who don't do it so well. There definitely is a skill and an art to it and it's something I'm trying to learn.

Wishing you happy holidays and a happy new year,

Kenneth
  • kennethfolk

Kenneth Folk's Membership at the Camp 21 Dec 2010 19:00 #785

Kenneth,

I appreciate your willingness to come forward and say that you feel bad about how things went down at KFDh not long ago. This community was born out of the rubble of the situation, so I guess it wasn't all bad.

The last time I engaged in online discussion with you, it didn't end well. I was reluctant to approve your request to join this forum for that very reason. If at all possible, I would like to avoid the kind of conversation that took place back then, on both our parts. I admit to being frustrated with you and some of the others, and to acting out of that frustration in some of my posts. I did not feel as though anything I said was even remotely acknowledged, and that's always been a sore spot for me. I feel hurt when I am not heard. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t still have hurt feelings with regard to everything that happened. But I’m working on it.

Moving on...

There are a lot of questions I would like to ask, but I think it would be best to take them on one topic at a time. This way our conversations can stay on focus.

First, is this "direct mode" thing still your primary practice? If so, I would really like to know a great deal about it. Such as...

1.) What problem is the practice designed to address?
2.) How is the method employed? (Be specific.)
3.) What does the method do? (e.g. what are the mechanics/mechanisms of change?)
4.) What are the immediate effects?
5.) What are the assumed long-term effects? And, why do you assume the latter effects will occur?

Question #2 is what I’m especially curious about. As you know, the way the practice was being described in the forum lead me to believe that the direct mode practice engaged with emotions in ways that I and others think could be quite unhealthy. You and others have asserted that this is not the case, but I have yet to hear an adequate description of how the practice is done, and what it’s supposed to do, and why the desired result is a good thing.

If you find my questions unreasonable, let me know. I personally could not recommend a practice to anyone without first being able to answer these questions, at a minimum.

I’m looking forward to your reply. I know you’re on retreat and all, so I understand that a response may not arrive quickly.

-Jackson

Kenneth Folk's Membership at the Camp 21 Dec 2010 19:10 #786

I'd like to assert some ground rules for this conversation, so call me the bad guy. Here they are:

1. It stays here on this one topic.
2. If it gets out of hand I'm happy to freeze it and end it.
3. Anyone is free to chime in and I encourage folks to be honest and direct, but not mean, and I urge everyone to keep the discussion civil
4. I am happy to be the sole judge of what "out of hand" and "civil" mean

It just has to be that way because these things do get out of control.

Finally, forgive me Kenneth for saying this but Jackson is right, it was with reluctance that we allowed this. This forum will not become KFDh, part II. I know you will respect that.

So, with that, carry on!

- Chris

Kenneth Folk's Membership at the Camp 22 Dec 2010 04:10 #787

Just so we're all clear, I revoked Kenneth's membership to the forum. I made the decision without Chris, and I hope he understands. More harm than good came from Kenneth's participation here.

Feel free to comment or email me with any questions or concerns.

-Jackson

Kenneth Folk's Membership at the Camp 22 Dec 2010 13:51 #788

Yes, and it seems the revocation was justified action on your part, Jackson.
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds