Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What type of mediation is appropriate for children

What type of mediation is appropriate for children 30 Jan 2013 08:01 #8736

For personal reasons that I won't elaborate on here in the public thread, I would like to teach my 9 year-old boy mediation. Is this appropriate? If so, what "degree", or style, should this instruction take? The goal is to get a handle on feelings, get some sense of how his brain works, and reduce reactivity. Textbook mindfulness, IMO, but I would like to hear what more experienced meditators think.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: What type of mediation is appropriate for children 30 Jan 2013 08:10 #8738

There was a very good thread on this somewhere on this forum, from before the move... if I recall the main tips from other parents who meditate was to let it be a playful, exploring thing, like a game, to let the kids sit with you, keep the instructions simple and fun, and talk about what they experienced after. Making it a chore is likely to backfire (as all the "I hate church" adults will tell you, remembering the onerousness of their religious upbringings).

Also often the case that kids can find their way in such things better when taught by others, or in a group - for example a children's yoga or martial arts class (that includes traditional elements of concentration, respect, meditation, self-discipline, etc - not a "learn to kick your enemies" kind) might serve the purpose very well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jake St. Onge

Re: What type of mediation is appropriate for children 30 Jan 2013 08:49 #8740

Ah, I think this is what you were referring to:

awakenetwork.org/index.php/forum/103-gen...-children-and-dharma

Thanks. I'll review that and post there if I have any follow-up.

Re: What type of mediation is appropriate for children 31 Jan 2013 17:30 #8787

Stay away from any practices that undermine a sense of self! Kids are still trying to build a health one, which is very important.

Progressive muscle relaxation (PMR) can be good for kids. Helps them learn about their bodies and how to relax them. Creative imagery is often used. You'll probably find good info if you Google it.

Re: What type of mediation is appropriate for children 31 Jan 2013 18:22 #8789

I went to a talk by Lama Surya Das a couple years ago and someone brought up this question in the Q&A. His was response was not to teach this to kids meditation to teach them Right View and lead by example and leave it at that. Like him or not, to me, that's probably best.
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds