Some clarification on SE?

More
11 years 1 month ago #10034 by duane_eugene_miller
Is SE simply to have a comprehension through direct experience that "I" am an illusion, and then experience being generally the same (such as moods, prejudices etc..) or is it more of an entire shift into experiencing self as an illusion as a baseline? In other words, once SE is attained, are moods and such still sticky or not at all because it's always obvious that "I" am not real? Something like that:) Thoughts? Insights?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #10037 by Eric
Replied by Eric on topic Some clarification on SE?
I'm tempted to make the immediate disclaimer of "different for everyone." I personally didn't experience anything definitive, and had already experienced no-self via psychedelics (although not emptiness). It was just a little moment, a blip, no conscious realization of no-self or anything. But looking back, that time would be a great marker, in fact THE marker, for when things really began to accelerate, spiritually. No dramatic shift, just kind of the start of one, for me. Although the week or two after were really nice weeks, and concentration was excellent and jhanas became much more obvious.

I have conceptualized the brain as always trying to adjust to things and make sense of things in some way, and the sudden exposure to cessation, emptiness might require a BIG adjustment. Like, "I'm this" but now "I" am not, might just require the old computer to dial down the estimates a bit to account for that.

The first letting go of the selfing processes?

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #10042 by Chris Marti
My stream entry experience, from KFD in 2009:

Lights Out!
Jul 30 2009, 8:40 PM EDT
Reading through Kenneth's new discussion thread I'm reminded to ask folks here about a recurring experience that I have with some frequency. While observing an object in meditation - let's say the breath entering and leaving my nostrils - I perceive a slow building of energy and focus. The in breath starts to brings a very fine set of vibrations in the top of the head and an almost giddy mental feeling, sort of like a tiny whiff of laughing gas, that grows as the breath is drawn and until it is at its peak. The peak of the breath brings a sharp distinct break and when the outbreath starts that same energetic and finely vibrating giddy feeling resumes (this not a hyperventilation-like gidiness). Each successive breath slowly increases the intensity of these fine vibrations until a kind of crescendo is reached, at which point all the energy that has built up quickly flows to the observed object appears to merge with the object and then FLASH!, an image appears, a complex image, for just a tiny fraction of a second, after which everything - and I do mean EVERYTHING - winks out of existence. Pure pitch black silent nothingness ensues (no sound, no light, no feeling, no self, no perception of any kind) and lasts for a second or so. Then awareness reappears anew. The impression after the second or so of nothingness reminds me of the rebooting of a computer. Everything is turned completely off and then restarts.

FWIW - this is very clearly not the same as the experience of the simplest thing.

FWIW#2 - the fraction of a second image always reminds me afterward of a mandala that you see from the Vajrayana tradition or a series of tiny network nodes connected by tiny threads. Coincidence? Meaningful? Meaningless? I really just don't know.

Thanks for your comments in advance!

kennethfolk
1. RE: Lights Out!
Jul 30 2009, 9:26 PM EDT
Hi Chris,

You are describing, very clearly, magga-phala (path and fruition) as detailed in Theravada Buddhism. More accurately, you are describing phala (fruition), as magga (the Path moment) is a one-time event. Congratulations! This means that you are, at the very least, a sotapanna (stream-winner). This is a hugely significant marker of progress in the Theravada system. It is said that a stream-winner will be reborn a maximum of seven more times, after which time he or she will enter nibbana for the final time and not re-emerge. Tradition also has it that you can never again be reborn in the "lower" realms, meaning you can only be reborn as a human or a god. Actually, there are all kinds of really colorful and interesting (and amusing) things that you supposedly can and cannot do now, and I think you'll get a big kick out of the Wikipedia article on sotapannas:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sot%C4%81panna

Mazel tov!

Kenneth
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Chris Marti.

More
11 years 1 month ago #10043 by Chris Marti
Duane, to your question - nothing really changed much after that. Stream entry was not a dramatic shift to not-self realization or to decreasing emotional experience or the removal of discursive thoughts. What DID happen was that i got much easier access to the jhanas and thus obtained a deeper, more relaxing concentration practice. I did not have any major changes in view or those deeper realizations related to it until third path, but that's just my experience. Others will report differently, I'm sure.

More
11 years 1 month ago #10045 by duane_eugene_miller
Over the course of my practice there haven't been much of what I would consider dramatic shifts in perspective, or ways of seeing. Often I realize after the fact that something has changed about the way I view experience or react to experience. So it's more of a slow burn, and the waves are so gentle I don't notice that things have changed until long after they have.

More
11 years 1 month ago #10046 by duane_eugene_miller
Hah. Yeah I haven't experienced anything at all like that. Just moments here and there were it's KNOWN that "I" am a dream. The whole sensation of existence is that of a waking dream. Swirling phantoms or something. It's hard to describe. My experience in general is more firmly grounded in Now than it's ever been but there is still distraction, fantasy and all that. Perhaps just a side effect of equanimity (again).

More
11 years 1 month ago #10047 by Tina
Replied by Tina on topic Some clarification on SE?
Chris Marti wrote:

FWIW - this is very clearly not the same as the experience of the simplest thing.

Chris,

I hope you don't mind me asking:

What do you mean by "the experience of the simplest thing"? I'm pre-path, and it seems mysterious to me, even though I'm sure it's not meant that way.

I've heard Rodney Smith say that realization is as close to oneself as the breath, and even that stumps me.

Do these statements indicate something similar, or not?

More
11 years 1 month ago #10049 by Russell
Replied by Russell on topic Some clarification on SE?

Chris Marti wrote: Duane, to your question - nothing really changed much after that. Stream entry was not a dramatic shift to not-self realization or to decreasing emotional experience or the removal of discursive thoughts. What DID happen was that i got much easier access to the jhanas and thus obtained a deeper, more relaxing concentration practice. I did not have any major changes in view or those deeper realizations related to it until third path, but that's just my experience. Others will report differently, I'm sure.

This was my experience as well.

More
11 years 1 month ago #10050 by Chris Marti
Tina, by "the simplest thing" I meant non-dual awareness. I was presented with that view earlier in my practice.

More
11 years 1 month ago #10053 by nadav
Replied by nadav on topic Some clarification on SE?
Stream entry didn't change my experience much beyond the blissed out honeymoon phase. It was more of a reassurance that this stuff can lead to real transformations, and that I had the tools to get it done. No big insights into self at that point.

Bill Hamilton said of stream entry, "after all, there are 4 paths, so how great could it be? You might imagine that it's about 25% to enlightenment." (Rough quote from Kenneth Folk)

More
11 years 1 month ago #10054 by Tina
Replied by Tina on topic Some clarification on SE?

Chris Marti wrote: Tina, by "the simplest thing" I meant non-dual awareness. I was presented with that view earlier in my practice.

Chris,

Pardon my ignorance here, but is non-dual awareness to be recognized primarily through insight practice, concentration, or both? I ask because in the "doubt" thread I mentioned how I cannot reach absorption, and some of the responses indicated that it isn't always necessary for realization.

Thanks,
Tina

More
11 years 1 month ago #10055 by Shoshin
Replied by Shoshin on topic Some clarification on SE?

Russell wrote:

Chris Marti wrote: Duane, to your question - nothing really changed much after that. Stream entry was not a dramatic shift to not-self realization or to decreasing emotional experience or the removal of discursive thoughts. What DID happen was that i got much easier access to the jhanas and thus obtained a deeper, more relaxing concentration practice. I did not have any major changes in view or those deeper realizations related to it until third path, but that's just my experience. Others will report differently, I'm sure.

This was my experience as well.

Ditto.

More
11 years 1 month ago #10056 by Shoshin

Tina wrote:

Chris Marti wrote: Tina, by "the simplest thing" I meant non-dual awareness. I was presented with that view earlier in my practice.

Chris,

Pardon my ignorance here, but is non-dual awareness to be recognized primarily through insight practice, concentration, or both? I ask because in the "doubt" thread I mentioned how I cannot reach absorption, and some of the responses indicated that it isn't always necessary for realization.

Thanks,
Tina

Hi Tina, if I may offer some input...
The realization of non-duality is conditioned by insight and contemplation of the nature of consciousness and dependent origination. The first time I experienced non-dual awareness was nearly a year before stream entry. While walking around the neighborhood with my family I began to pay attention to the feel of my steps on the ground and in this way got fairly concentrated but no where near "absorption".

As we walked along I noticed everything else in awareness and contemplated the nature of consciousness - how it is not separate from its "objects". I'm feeling this in real time, not just thinking about it. When we arrived back home it suddenly became apparent that everything I was looking at was the same thing as me - my wife, the kitchen cabinets, the counter top, etc. There was a feeling of centerlessness. This all happened while carrying on light conversation with my wife. It's insight which leads to it, the level of concentration may be a factor but is perhaps not the most important one. When we attend to what is happening now in a consistent way then the concentration develops naturally.

I hope this brings some clarity to the issue.

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #10057 by Jake St. Onge
First a disclaimer: I am skeptical of the 'truth' of maps, in this case, the four path model of awakening. but 'truth' aside maps and models do sometimes have utility. The value of reframing from a 'truth' orientation to a pragmatic one with regards to maps is, then the map is always situated in the context of an actual practitioner and an actual practice. From that point of view it might become evident that a given map doesn't really pertain to one's path. That said, this model served an important role in my path, but hasn't been that useful since then (...so far.) So I can speak about SE in the context of this system from personal experience, but I doubt that in each case awakening even proceeds by anything like this four phase system. And further, as is evident from everyone's comments so far, different practitioners seem to get very different insights from SE.

Before SE I would definitely have glimpses-- sometimes long ones-- of insights similar to what you (Duane) describe. Clear insights into the illusory nature of self-as-subject. I would marvel that I could just 'let thinking think' or 'let playing play' (i.e. music) without there needing to be a 'think-er' or 'play-er'. Those glimpses were available and arose spontaneously at least since my first memorable a&p in adolescence. But my baseline way of being was one in which "I" felt like a thing, made of thoughts and feelings, inside the body looking out. "I" really felt that way, even though intellectually I didn't believe it. It was frustrating because in these glimpses i could see the illusory nature of that perspective-- that thoughts and feelings are just natural processes, like weather, and didn't constitute a solid separate stable 'me', and that felt very liberating. Coming back to the baseline then felt in contrast like a painful constriction.

After SE, it quickly became evident that my baseline had shifted, and that old perspective could not be generated. The senses were much more clear and they all, including the mind sense of thoughts/feelings/images, became increasingly more 'tactile' after that as well. Body and mind and environment felt much more like facets of each other. The subtler dimensions of mind (its formless qualities) have been more generally apparent ever since (thoughts generally seem to occur in a big clear space).

So for me SE marked a radical, immediate and lasting shift in the way identification functions-- identification becoming unmoored from coarse thoughts and feelings. That identification process-- the search for a solid, separate, permanent identity-- looked elsewhere for a place to land (notably, to those subtler formless qualities of experience). This was a pretty dramatic shift for me.

Operationally, this shift also marked the beginning of a new relationship to practice, one in which 'practice' no longer was uncertain or effortful in the *same way as before*. It just became a lot easier to sit. It became a lot easier to cultivate my flow of experiencing, and so the time since-- although it has included some more abrupt or radical shifts-- has been marked more distinctly by steady unfolding and change in way-of-being, as if way-of-being was unnerringly 'aimed' at a continuously receding fractal attractor of authenticity, contentedness, integrity, awakeness, kindness.

In fact, for the most part the only thing that seems to slow this process down-- or disrupt it's natural unfolding-- are my own remaining deeply entrenched tendencies to manipulate experience and produce some outcome (and gods know I have plenty of those, lol!!). Every apparent dead end since then has been the result of pursuing some plan of cultivation based on some standard for how experience 'should' be. The way has opened up again each time as that assumed standard became fully conscious and could be seen for what it was, just another interpretation masquerading as certainty. This opening of the way that has been returned to again and again, is also the opening of the way that appeared at the time of SE. SE occurred in its own time once I could suspend my assumptions about how to practice, about the outcome.
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Jake St. Onge.

More
11 years 1 month ago #10058 by Chris Marti
Tina, I agree with Mike's description of non-dual awareness, just for the record. Mine just came long before I got anywhere else on the path. It was my first really significant experience and THAT changed my view much more than stream entry did. In fact, it's hard for me to think of a more life changing insight.

More
11 years 1 month ago #10062 by Tom Otvos
Replied by Tom Otvos on topic Some clarification on SE?
Just a quick note that I "moderated" this topic into a more appropriate category...

-- tomo

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #10063 by Shargrol
Replied by Shargrol on topic Some clarification on SE?
SE for me was diagnosed by Kenneth Folk by having a long stretch of equanimity (maybe a month), then a hiccup, then easy access to jhanas. I am a founding member of the no-big-wow club -- life did not drastically change at any of the paths or upon attaining any of the jhanas. I'm also a very lazy meditator and the slowest of my class to graduate. :)

Peak insights become more solid after paths... but it's interesting. The best way (I think) to think of the fetters that supposidly disappear after each stage is that you aren't suckered in by the fetter (e.g. self identity after SE) once you recognize it. After SE, self identity falls away in a moment when you realize you're in that mode... but it hangs around. Plenty of arhats are prideful at times, but if they caught that experience, they would drop it in a second. You basically know it's no use to take refuge in a fetter, but you might find yourself unconsciously doing so. So practice continues even after paths...
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Shargrol.

More
11 years 1 month ago #10065 by duane_eugene_miller
For the length of my practice I go through cycles of dedicated sitting and then for months will have no interest in sitting, and this will go back and forth. I don't know if I'd say sitting is difficult in those times when I don't do it, I just don't do it. However it seems a great deal of progress is still made (at least for me at my speed). Most recently in the fall I spent several months sitting every morning and night for 30 minutes each with no aversion to it really (it was quite easy), then suddenly I just stopped doing it and shifted to paying attention to my emotions and reactions to them (in the body and mind) in daily life and being very cautious about my engagements with others (to varying degrees of "success"). I've not been sure if this is just the natural unfolding of my path (as it seems paths naturally unfold like it or not) or I am being lazy (because I am) and could be more actively chasing the carrot of SE (which still seems vague to me - and often I consider silly - the chasing that is). I'm trying to find a common theme in all these accounts of SE but am not having much luck. I'd like to hear more about "suffering" pre and post SE. Would everyone here agree that the common aspect is a dramatic decrease in suffering? Or is it a shift in the understanding of what suffering is?

More
11 years 1 month ago #10066 by Kacchapa
Replied by Kacchapa on topic Some clarification on SE?
Does anyone have an idea of whether SE is more or less the same as 1st kensho in Zen?

More
11 years 1 month ago #10067 by duane_eugene_miller
Ya know, Mark, that might be even closer to my point! Maybe I'm looking for a map that lines up with what I'm experiencing, maybe it's too early to tell, maybe it will shift as I go. I don't follow a specific tradition so it's difficult to know where I stand sometimes (not really sure how much that matters though as it's clearly a concern of the ego - or the self referencing "I"). Hmph. Thanks I hadn't thought of it like that. I was strictly speaking 10 fetters just because that seems sort of "universal" but I'm not all that schooled in the various traditions and maps.

More
11 years 1 month ago #10068 by Shoshin

duane_eugene_miller wrote: I'd like to hear more about "suffering" pre and post SE. Would everyone here agree that the common aspect is a dramatic decrease in suffering? Or is it a shift in the understanding of what suffering is?

For me "suffering" (reactivity/getting caught in stuff) was already dropping off long before SE.

So in my case it was more of a shift in understanding, although it was preceded by the deepest insights I'd had to date on how suffering is created. In the months before SE it was "oh that's how it is" (life, the Dharma). After SE it was "no, really, that's how it is - oh cr@p!" In my case suffering had a more dramatic drop off after third path and an even bigger one after fourth had started to settle down somewhat (I'm only 5.5 months out from that).

More
11 years 1 month ago #10070 by Kacchapa

shargrol wrote: SE for me was diagnosed by Kenneth Folk by having a long stretch of equanimity (maybe a month), then a hiccup, then easy access to jhanas. I am a founding member of the no-big-wow club -- life did not drastically change at any of the paths or upon attaining any of the jhanas..

I forgot about that club. I still regularly go to meetings at the not-even-a-medium-wow club. Chris thinks my practice has post-SE things about it, but nothing that people say about a blip-out or restart sounds familiar to me. Same with fruitions. But I'm kind of dense. I'd read about A&P for more than a year on KFD before I realized that pass-thrus of 4th nana have been a feature of my practice for years. And some time after that before I realized that I sometimes had dissolution. And I only recently figured out how to identify 1st thru 3rd jhanas, and some of the DKs. From all the personal accounts it sounds like SE is not something you could miss, at least in retrospect. Of course you'd only here from the people who didn't miss it. But if you could miss it, was it actually a milestone for your practice? Sometimes the walking in the mist long enough to get a little damp idea seems more meaningful to me. But I still feel like something big is unresolved.

More
11 years 1 month ago #10071 by Shoshin

Mark Peacock wrote: From all the personal accounts it sounds like SE is not something you could miss, at least in retrospect. Of course you'd only here from the people who didn't miss it. But if you could miss it, was it actually a milestone for your practice?

Well I was missing it! :lol:

I was even having pretty obvious fruitions - and in spite of having read MCTB, I didn't know what was happening - other than knowing that I was feeling more awake. My teacher figured out what was going on.

More
11 years 1 month ago #10072 by duane_eugene_miller

Mike Ramos wrote:

Mark Peacock wrote: From all the personal accounts it sounds like SE is not something you could miss, at least in retrospect. Of course you'd only here from the people who didn't miss it. But if you could miss it, was it actually a milestone for your practice?

Well I was missing it! :lol:

I was even having pretty obvious fruitions - and in spite of having read MCTB, I didn't know what was happening - other than knowing that I was feeling more awake. My teacher figured out what was going on.

Yeah someone I know who's been at this stuff for quite awhile seems to think I'm "there" but I'm not convinced. I feel like I totally understand most of the concepts (non-dual awareness, emptiness, etc..) conceptually but don't walk around experiencing them as a baseline. There is clearly more to be done as I still "suffer" and react poorly at times and all that. But it's like everybody has this SE carrot and I don't and it's irritating. Ya know:) Stupid grasping.

More
11 years 1 month ago #10073 by Kacchapa
I hear you Duane. After puzzling over whether I could have had 1st or 2nd path or some hybrid and not know it, I decided it doesn't matter. I'm far from "finished".