Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Christian Contemplative Course

Christian Contemplative Course 10 May 2013 15:30 #11646

I practiced as a Christian contemplative for most of my life, and that whole devotional path resonates within me very deeply.

FYI: Adyashanti is offering a contemplative Christian Course starting in a few days and running over the next month or so.
I am considering taking it to be able to listen to his sharing because he speaks so simply about the same insights I've experienced.
Here is a link to the information, in case you are interested:
www.soundstrue.com/shop/Resurrecting-Jesus/4346.pd
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ona Kiser

Christian Contemplative Course 12 May 2013 16:07 #11678

Thank you, Constance! I just ordered the course, and am ready to download the first class tomorrow. This is just what I need!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Constance

Christian Contemplative Course 13 May 2013 14:23 #11689

I smell a trend: Shambala center offering a talk on connecting Buddhism and Christianity...

ny.shambhala.org/programs/program-details/?id=136771

Christian Contemplative Course 13 May 2013 15:55 #11690

No doubt-- not everyone's preference for how Buddhism would be metabolized by the west; but probably statistically inevitable. I guess it starts to even the score, for all those Asian Christian converts from the previous couple centuries.

But, seriously-- the grandaddies of them all are Thomas Merton, preceded by Teilhard de Chardin, in the grand integral theory of East/West religious practice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurel Carrington, Constance

Christian Contemplative Course 14 May 2013 13:48 #11702

I love Thomas Merton, at one point reading just about everything by and about him. My path these days seems to be taking me away from Christianity, but I thought I'd see what Adyashanti has to say, because I have really benefited from his books.

The first segment was mostly about his interest in Jesus, how he sees Jesus as an enlightened revolutionary. He also says his first major awakening, which happened at the age of 25, occurred as a result of reading a book by St. Therese of Lisieux. So I'm going to have to get a copy of her works and have a look. Not sure where this is going, but I'm hoping it will at least clarify a few things.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kate Gowen, Constance

Christian Contemplative Course 26 May 2013 01:44 #11958

I came across this book at the library. Some of you might be interested.
Surprised By Joy, The Shape of My Early Life by C.S. Lewis
Refreshingly honest and interesting. I connect with his sharing how at an early age the world appeared divided and yet boundless.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kate Gowen

Christian Contemplative Course 26 May 2013 16:42 #11968

I really like the personal blog of this guy, Mike Farley. Thoughtful, wise, and insightful: silentassemblies.wordpress.com/

His previous blog, full of similar thoughtfulness: themercyblog.blogspot.com

I have been reading him regularly for some time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kate Gowen, Constance

Christian Contemplative Course 28 May 2013 13:13 #12015

The Course is helpful and interesting.
For my sons the internet course allows them to sit, eat their granola, and listen in the comfort of home and learn something.
It has brought up more discussions for us.
I can just sit with them and enjoy it too.
Much of what Adya has said, I have wanted to say to my sons, and Adya shares it quite simply.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kate Gowen

Christian Contemplative Course 29 May 2013 18:28 #12062

I agree, Constance. I listened to a couple of segments today. Thanks so much for recommending it.
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds