Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Advanced Noting

Advanced Noting 19 Feb 2014 14:37 #18605

I read about pragmatic dhamma practitioners reaching 1st path and beyond by only using noting. For instance, Vince Horn has posted a detailed description mentioning this. I have been wondering about the details of their noting, i.e., what kind of noting they use, and would like to hear about your experience and opinion.

Below are the different types of noting I have used previously.: (1). Out loud detailed noting (I only do this in pair noting.) (2), Sub vocal detailed 4 foundations noting, i.e., memory, itching, etc. (5). More generalized 4 foundations noting. (For instance, instead of “memory” labeling it “thought”. Instead of “itching”, noting it “sensation”). (6). Noting every thing as “that”. (7). Noticing but not noting or labeling. (This means placing the mind on phenomena or letting the mind go to phenomena.) (8). Mind is still and phenomena arise and disappear in the still mind.) 9). No difference between stillness and phenomena. Clarity and awareness is evident in all the above. 7 to 9 is probably not noting but seems to be a natural progression in my meditating.

For the last 6-9 months I have been “doing” non-doing/just sitting meditation and decided to add back in sessions using noting.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tina

Advanced Noting 19 Feb 2014 14:56 #18606

I did only noting for 1st and 2nd path. After that, things changed a lot. I basically did all detailed 4 foundations noting (Kenneth style) until some longer stints in High Equanimity where I would drop noting in favor of a more open awareness noticing.

Advanced Noting 19 Feb 2014 15:14 #18608

I am currently using out-loud noting at the start of sits, and as I move into EQ I transition to silent noticing because the out-loud stuff feels way too coarse. Kind of like jazz.

Pre-SE, so please take that under consideration...

Advanced Noting 20 Feb 2014 07:00 #18617

I used pretty straightforward classic Mahasi style noting up until Second Path. Often out loud, sometimes silently. Combined with the practice you describe as 'noticing' and I called 'choiceless awareness' (some people use this term differently I think), just bringing your attention to whatever object arises, without a note.

Occasionally, on advice from a teacher, I used a bit of Kenneth's essence noting, and also vedana noting where you note only pleasant-unpleasant-neutral (which I found very helpful) but mostly I think classic Mahasi on its own is fine to get you there...

For me personally the many many different noting styles trying to capture different things didn't have much attraction. The main thing a different style did for me is simply allow me to relax a bit.

Mahasi Sayadaw argued that you could note all the way to Fourth Path though this is not something I have experience of, and of course when we discuss what we mean by Fourth Path YMMV.

Advanced Noting 20 Feb 2014 10:02 #18621

jackhat1 wrote:
I read about pragmatic dhamma practitioners reaching 1st path and beyond by only using noting. For instance, Vince Horn has posted a detailed description mentioning this. I have been wondering about the details of their noting, i.e., what kind of noting they use, and would like to hear about your experience and opinion.

Hi Jackhat1,

I'm interested in Vince Horn's point of view on noting. Would you post the link to his article, if you still have access to it?

Thanks!
Tina

Advanced Noting 20 Feb 2014 15:35 #18632

Tina, I don't think Vince has written about his awakening. Here is a recorded interview on it: www.vincenthorn.com/files/VinceHorn_Story_of_Awakening.mp3. Here is where I heard about his noting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tina

Advanced Noting 20 Feb 2014 15:38 #18633

I just checked that link and it is not longer valid. I do have a mp3 file that I could send you. Maybe someone else knows a link that would work.
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds