If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: link to a recent Steven Tainer talk

link to a recent Steven Tainer talk 06 May 2015 15:17 #98684

link to the semester archive-- subject this semester is "nature of mind"
media.berkeleymonastery.org/steven/2015.asp

the most recent talk is exemplary in its clarity and sublime ordinariness: media.berkeleymonastery.org/steven/2015/20150429.mp3
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jake St. Onge, Kacchapa, Rod

link to a recent Steven Tainer talk 06 May 2015 22:37 #98689

I really like what I know about Steven Tainer, and I enjoyed the talk. I've looked for resources of his teachings in the past and aside from the few published works, I have been unable to find much. I emailed the folks at Berkely about past archived classes, but didn't get a response. Any ideas?

link to a recent Steven Tainer talk 06 May 2015 23:33 #98690

When I was attending his classes he was active with a very interesting group called the Kira Institute-- www.kira.org/ and there was a website called Ways of Knowing. www.waysofknowing.net/

At one time there were archives going back a few years on the monastery website, but I only see the one semester there now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jake St. Onge, Bill F

link to a recent Steven Tainer talk 08 May 2015 09:34 #98708

Man, those old archived talks were an amazing resource. I wonder why they were taken down and whether they still exist somewhere? I have a handful of them on my old laptop but sadly I don't have complete semesters for whatever reason anymore.

I really resonate with Steven's approach. This semester's talks have been really helpful to my practice. I love how he so deftly interweaves doing-practices and temporal cultivation (cultivation that develops over time) with non-doing-practices that step back or zoom out from the whole whirl of temporality. Often these two are conceived as very separate but how he presents this-- which resonates with how a traditional Dzogchen teacher like ChNNR teaches it as far as I can tell-- is that non-doing and temporal development are actually intimately related on the path, and that the a-temporal can actually be the basis for a non-linear path of development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kate Gowen

link to a recent Steven Tainer talk 08 May 2015 10:20 #98711

If only the current semester archive is being made available, it seems wise to download the lot asap. I know that's what I'm gonna do!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jake St. Onge

link to a recent Steven Tainer talk 08 May 2015 10:46 #98712

Yep, totally on it haha!

link to a recent Steven Tainer talk 08 May 2015 10:46 #98713

In the course of securing this semester's talks, I heard ST refer to this text: www.amazon.com/Vivid-Awareness-Instructi...1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Looks interesting, and Khenchen Thrangu is one of the most "user-friendly" lama/translators we still have with us.

link to a recent Steven Tainer talk 08 May 2015 16:40 #98715

non-doing and temporal development are actually intimately related on the path, and that the a-temporal can actually be the basis for a non-linear path of development. Jake

Sounds good, but can you break it down for me, particularly the second half? Thanks.

Also, do you guys have a favorite of his works? I have his book on Taoism, but I haven't read "Time, Space, Knowledge".
Last Edit: 08 May 2015 16:41 by Bill F.

link to a recent Steven Tainer talk 08 May 2015 17:50 #98717

Dragon's Play is inexhaustible-- I'll be reading it 'til I die. Haven't ventured much into T,S, & K... It was earlier in his life, written as a student of Tarthang Tulku.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Marti, Bill F

link to a recent Steven Tainer talk 08 May 2015 22:59 #98723

Holy Wow! Dragon's Play starts at $45 used at Amazon!

link to a recent Steven Tainer talk 09 May 2015 08:10 #98729

Try here-- www.dayuancircle.org/store/books/

$15; but that may change as supplies dwindle. Ming is the co-author; he died recently, and the book has been out of print for donkey's ages. Hence, the inflated price on Amazon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy

link to a recent Steven Tainer talk 09 May 2015 09:26 #98731

Thanks, Kate. Looks like it's out of stock. I'll keep checking, though.

link to a recent Steven Tainer talk 10 May 2015 11:13 #98751

Bill, I will try to expand on that if you'd like-- in the midst of a busy weekend right now!
As for books, I really enjoyed the Time, Space, Knowledge books when I was a teenager. Later when I encountered Steven's talks I recognized the connection and Kate clued me in to the 'why' as Steven is credited as an editor I think rather than a writer. I've been meaning to seriously re-visit those works for several years and see how it relates to my experience and practice now.... And yeah, Dragon's Play is awesome and bottomless in my opinion :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill F
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds