If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Discussion Thread: The Mind Illuminated book

Discussion Thread: The Mind Illuminated book 26 Feb 2016 10:02 #102721

Tom Otvos wrote:
I am looking for practical tips on how to manage this whole stage 4/5 thing. Part of me thinks it will just happen organically by simply "putting in the time", but I am also open to little tips or tricks to keep attention more tightly under check. The reality is that many times, I just don't find the breath *interesting enough* to keep me going. Using counting was good, but now it is too coarse.

Gladden the mind maybe? "Breathing in the energy of joy, breathing out with relaxation." I think of this because boredom is a hindrance and gladdening theoretically could eliminate any of them.
Last Edit: 26 Feb 2016 10:02 by Noah.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom Otvos

Discussion Thread: The Mind Illuminated book 27 Feb 2016 18:46 #102753

neko wrote:
Tom Otvos wrote:
I am looking for practical tips on how to manage this whole stage 4/5 thing. Part of me thinks it will just happen organically by simply "putting in the time", but I am also open to little tips or tricks to keep attention more tightly under check. The reality is that many times, I just don't find the breath *interesting enough* to keep me going. Using counting was good, but now it is too coarse.

What is your goal Tom? If it is learning to focus on something dull, so that you will later be able to focus on whatever you want, I think the only option is keeping at it. Otherwise, you can try "experiencing the whole body with the breath", which Culadasa introduces in Stage Six.

A third possibility, if you are already able to access soft jhanas, and you are interested in making them harder, I would suggest entering soft 1st/2nd jhana ASAP, and then tweaking Culadasa's tips on how to work with distractions while focusing on piti/sukha.

It is funny you mentioned stage 6 as I was just there in the book. I am trying to limit reading too far ahead so that I can concentrate (heh) on the stage at hand. However I have a very strong suspicion that the whole body breathing might be the ticket for me. Clearly I have "been there done that" anyhow over the years, and perhaps I am being too dogmatic requiring mastery of stages before progressing, but I am going to be excited to try this out.
Last Edit: 27 Feb 2016 18:46 by Tom Otvos.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shaun Elstob

Discussion Thread: The Mind Illuminated book 28 Feb 2016 03:13 #102758

Tom Otvos wrote:
neko wrote:
Tom Otvos wrote:
I am looking for practical tips on how to manage this whole stage 4/5 thing. Part of me thinks it will just happen organically by simply "putting in the time", but I am also open to little tips or tricks to keep attention more tightly under check. The reality is that many times, I just don't find the breath *interesting enough* to keep me going. Using counting was good, but now it is too coarse.

What is your goal Tom? If it is learning to focus on something dull, so that you will later be able to focus on whatever you want, I think the only option is keeping at it. Otherwise, you can try "experiencing the whole body with the breath", which Culadasa introduces in Stage Six.

A third possibility, if you are already able to access soft jhanas, and you are interested in making them harder, I would suggest entering soft 1st/2nd jhana ASAP, and then tweaking Culadasa's tips on how to work with distractions while focusing on piti/sukha.

It is funny you mentioned stage 6 as I was just there in the book. I am trying to limit reading too far ahead so that I can concentrate (heh) on the stage at hand. However I have a very strong suspicion that the whole body breathing might be the ticket for me. Clearly I have "been there done that" anyhow over the years, and perhaps I am being too dogmatic requiring mastery of stages before progressing, but I am going to be excited to try this out.

I have also found full body breathing immensely useful in the past, but am really trying hard to stick to the stage specific guidelines in order to develop skills I've pushed aside before. I also do wonder if I'm being too 'dogmatic' about it as well though. As to the issues with boredom and such, other than specific hindrance advice I've got from here and in the book, I just try to treat anything like that as another distraction and apply the same techniques depending on if its subtle or gross. Easier to say than do :-)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Discussion Thread: The Mind Illuminated book 24 Mar 2016 05:45 #102989

I am going to start offering a meditation course to my sangha based on this book. We have members with meditation experience ranging from many decades to a few months. Is anyone contemplating the same? We could share notes.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurel Carrington

Discussion Thread: The Mind Illuminated book 09 Apr 2017 22:36 #106530

In case you haven't seen it, there's a wonderful interview with Culadasa on BATGAP. Take a listen!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol

Discussion Thread: The Mind Illuminated book 10 Apr 2017 14:45 #106539

Laurel Carrington wrote:
In case you haven't seen it, there's a wonderful interview with Culadasa on BATGAP. Take a listen!

I'll be honest...I found it terribly painful to listen to. Talk about two people on completely different wavelengths, with huge pauses as each tries to figure out what the other person just said or asked.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol, Shaun Elstob

Discussion Thread: The Mind Illuminated book 10 Apr 2017 19:12 #106545

That pretty much sums up every BATGAP interview ever :lol:
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Marti, shargrol, Jim, Shaun Elstob

Discussion Thread: The Mind Illuminated book 11 Apr 2017 09:53 #106549

I thought the interview at BatGap with Kenneth Folk was far worse. The interviewer has a view of the world he has pasted over reality that gets in the way unless he is interviewing someone with similar views. At least in his interview with Culadasa (which I thought was pretty good), he let Culadasa talk.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol, Shaun Elstob

Discussion Thread: The Mind Illuminated book 11 Apr 2017 10:15 #106550

I've gotten used to Rick Archer, so he doesn't bother me. Yes, he tends to talk a lot, but his show and website are a great service to everyone; think of the many, many spiritual teachers he has interviewed. As for Culadasa: I recognize his speech pattern at least partly as a function of age. His task in that interview was complex, and he found himself groping for words (happens to me as well), and then there were times when his train of thought got derailed. I'm not saying all older people have similar problems communicating, but many do. Above all, though, he got his point across. So glitches and all, it's well worth a listen. My opinion.

ETA: I actually found that the interview was more interesting because of the difference in world views. There was an additional effort of translation involved.
Last Edit: 11 Apr 2017 10:17 by Laurel Carrington.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol, every3rdthought

Discussion Thread: The Mind Illuminated book 11 Apr 2017 10:37 #106551

Culadasa has also been in ill health lately. That might contribute to his speech patterns even though I had no trouble with them.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol, Laurel Carrington
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum