If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: a website worth checking out

a website worth checking out 03 Feb 2016 16:47 #102432

I remembered my old friends at the Pacific Zen Institute today, and went to see how their website has evolved. It has some of the most literate and accessible dharma available today; here's a sample--

www.pacificzen.org/you-dont-have-to-know...cle-by-john-tarrant/

You Don’t Have to Know: Our Dark Materials

The whole of the ancient, master teachings on suffering come down to this: Suffering is the notion ‘This isn’t it.’

Freedom, waking up and fearlessness come down to the simplicity of, ‘Wait a minute, what if this is it?’
The administrator has disabled public write access.

a website worth checking out 04 Feb 2016 10:45 #102446

Kate Gowen wrote:
The whole of the ancient, master teachings on suffering come down to this: Suffering is the notion ‘This isn’t it.’

Freedom, waking up and fearlessness come down to the simplicity of, ‘Wait a minute, what if this is it?’

Amazing.

So often I've seen the advice, "Look around you. This is it!"

But I've not seen the flip side of that.

So simple, but what a profound addition. Man! I think I'm going to have to write that down and come back to it often.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kate Gowen, Jake St. Onge, Kacchapa, Laurel Carrington

a website worth checking out 06 Feb 2016 07:00 #102488

Hey Kate,

I was thinking of checking out their "koan small group" here in Seattle, as their approach of open discussion sounds interesting. Anything I should know before contacting them?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kate Gowen

a website worth checking out 06 Feb 2016 09:41 #102493

If they're the same as a decade ago, prepare for joy!

a website worth checking out 06 Feb 2016 09:59 #102494

Kate, on that website I found this by John Tarrant:

It’s easy to forget to be curious, and to grab an off-the-shelf knowledge, something like “this is awful.” Not reaching for off-the-shelf understandings, though, is an important skill.

Freedom, waking up and fearlessness come down to the simplicity of, “Wait a minute, what if this is it?” and its variants, “No need to bear it,” and “I don’t know.”

It really, really struck me. Maybe it's the way it's worded, maybe because of the shit I'm going through at work, maybe because I'm dealing with my own father with failing health. But whatever it is, thank you for posting that link, from the very depths of my heart
Last Edit: 06 Feb 2016 10:00 by Chris Marti.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kate Gowen, Jake Yeager, Tina

a website worth checking out 11 Feb 2016 19:03 #102545

He is unfailingly encouraging...

"Koans don’t really explain things. Instead, they show you something by opening a gate. You walk through, and you take the ride. Before anything is explained, there is the sky, the earth, redwood forests, pelicans, rivers, rats, the city of San Francisco. And you are part of all that. We’re all part of that. In the land of koans, you see that everything that happens in your life is for you. There is no one else it can be for. Your life counts."

from this recent article in Lion's Roar: www.lionsroar.com/how-to-practice-zen-koans/

a website worth checking out 11 Feb 2016 20:43 #102546

The post 15363, what precedes and what follows.
Last Edit: 11 Feb 2016 20:44 by Laurel Carrington.

a website worth checking out 12 Feb 2016 06:20 #102549

post moved to my practice thread....
Last Edit: 12 Feb 2016 06:20 by shargrol.
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds