If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Bhagavad Gita

Bhagavad Gita 23 Aug 2017 20:23 #107616

I would like to learn more about this text. Can anyone recommend a good translation, with commentary? Free is good too.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bhagavad Gita 23 Aug 2017 21:33 #107617

It's funny you should mention this b/c we've just been doing it in my yoga teacher training. Out of interest, why are you wanting to learn more about it?

When I first got a copy I did research into all the different translations and the one I came down on was Eliot Deutsch which gets described like this:

Professor Deutsch's new rendition, similarly, is intended for a special audience; the students of philosophy and religion. From that standpoint, it is a unique and surprisingly readable version, with explanatory and terminological notes that go a long way toward dispelling the ambiguities and obscurities that generally plague the readers of more ""literary"" translations.

There is also a free "Gita Super Site" at which you can get a whole bunch of translations in parallel:

www.gitasupersite.iitk.ac.in/

There is also a great book on all the different interpretations of the Gita and its 'life' as a text, by Richard Davis in the Lives of Great Religious Books series, which I'm partway through: www.amazon.com/Bhagavad-Lives-Great-Reli...-Books/dp/150120050X

Personally I think there is a lot that's very valuable in the Gita but I can't come at its central message - "you should go ahead and massacre your friends and relations." Of course, this can be interpreted metaphorically. It also has some dubious passages on women and on caste.

Bhagavad Gita 24 Aug 2017 13:16 #107620

every3rdthought wrote:
It's funny you should mention this b/c we've just been doing it in my yoga teacher training. Out of interest, why are you wanting to learn more about it?

When I first got a copy I did research into all the different translations and the one I came down on was Eliot Deutsch which gets described like this:

Professor Deutsch's new rendition, similarly, is intended for a special audience; the students of philosophy and religion. From that standpoint, it is a unique and surprisingly readable version, with explanatory and terminological notes that go a long way toward dispelling the ambiguities and obscurities that generally plague the readers of more ""literary"" translations.

There is also a free "Gita Super Site" at which you can get a whole bunch of translations in parallel:

www.gitasupersite.iitk.ac.in/

There is also a great book on all the different interpretations of the Gita and its 'life' as a text, by Richard Davis in the Lives of Great Religious Books series, which I'm partway through: www.amazon.com/Bhagavad-Lives-Great-Reli...-Books/dp/150120050X

Personally I think there is a lot that's very valuable in the Gita but I can't come at its central message - "you should go ahead and massacre your friends and relations." Of course, this can be interpreted metaphorically. It also has some dubious passages on women and on caste.

Thank you, I'll check those out. As to "why", I have come across the name in passing a bunch of times over the last few years, and I know nothing about it. But then it strangely came up in a private telescope makers mailing list I participate in, and so it sparked my curiosity. The few online things I found so far had a lot of "thee" and "thou" in the translations, which seem kind of pointless to me unless you were reading it for the poetry. If I were to read the Bible (not that I would), I don't think the KJ version would be my go-to translation if i wanted to actually absorb the message.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jake St. Onge, every3rdthought, Shaun Elstob

Bhagavad Gita 26 Aug 2017 11:47 #107625

I like Eknath Easwaran's translation and commentary. Very readable, and is popular, still in print, so it should be very easy to find.

It kiiiind of apporaches pop-yoga a little bit, but I got a lot of value out of Stephen Cope's The Great Work Of Your Life. Cope uses stories from his therapeutic clients, and yoga students from his time at Kripalu, to illustrate concepts and lessons from the Gita. www.amazon.ca/Great-Work-Your-Life-Journ...HPBGP2WRAVAFE57P8KG6

Bhagavad Gita 30 Aug 2017 22:20 #107645

Gary Weber also has some interesting comments in a free PDF book at happiness-beyond-thought.com/dbt.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Philip
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds