If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh

Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh 19 Jul 2018 11:37 #109340

Anyone here watch Wild, Wild Country on Netflix? Fascinating. Then there’s this blogpost from Medium.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol, matthew sexton, Ranger

Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh 19 Jul 2018 15:28 #109341

I think I'm afraid to watch it. The medium post makes me feel like I've led a sheltered life.
Last Edit: 19 Jul 2018 15:40 by matthew sexton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol

Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh 19 Jul 2018 19:00 #109342

I was very impressed by that series. It struck me as remarkably evenhanded in its treatment of the different perspectives involved in the conflict.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol, Laurel Carrington

Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh 19 Jul 2018 19:29 #109343

matthew sexton wrote:
I think I'm afraid to watch it. The medium post makes me feel like I've led a sheltered life.

Nothing to be afraid of. It really is a compelling story. Shows why it’s necessary to have one’s morality trip together in spiritual work, if nothing else.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol, matthew sexton, Ranger

Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh 20 Jul 2018 11:04 #109344

Yes I've been watching it in bits. Between this and Going Clear and fiction series like The Path and The Arrangement, it's amazing to see how humans - "awakened" or not - tend to fall into the same kinds of traps, whatever their doctrinal flavor. Resonates with many experiences I've had with spiritual groups over the decades. Structure determines behavior and cult-like structures can't help but lead to cult-like behaviors.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol, Laurel Carrington

Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh 21 Jul 2018 10:54 #109345

One thing I’m interested in understanding better is how/why certain people have the ability to draw other people to them in such powerful ways. I know, it’s called charisma, but what exactly is it? The guy isn’t even a decent person in my books—for example, accused Sheela of just being angry because she wouldn’t sleep with him, an old standby for certain kinds of men. None of his attraction came across onscreen.

I know some perfectly awful people have this quality, and am inclined to be suspicious of it, but maybe it is capable also of doing good?
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol, Michael V, Ranger

Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh 21 Jul 2018 12:36 #109346

Laurel Carrington wrote:

I know some perfectly awful people have this quality, and am inclined to be suspicious of it, but maybe it is capable also of doing good?

[spoiler]

Notice what Sheela is doing these days! She seems to have an extremely narcissistic personality very much in line with Osho's (and likely has him to thank for some of the precipitating traumas), and she's using that total confidence in her own personal superiority to potentially help a house full of guys with special needs...who will of course worship her in return. It sounds like Osho might have had a positive impact on many of his followers as well (though I think the article shows some inherent issues with his legacy).
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol, Laurel Carrington, Ranger

Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh 21 Jul 2018 12:58 #109347

One thing I’m interested in understanding better is how/why certain people have the ability to draw other people to them in such powerful ways.

Maybe the reverse is the problem. Yes, there are charismatic people who some folks are drawn to but most people are pretty much immune to it, right? I think the issue may more likely be with the people who are drawn to the charismatic person. Why is that? I suspect some sort of neediness, hunger for a protective relationship or a desire to rid themselves of responsibility in some way. I don't think it's easy to get healthy, well centered, self-aware people to join cults, if it can be done at all.
Last Edit: 21 Jul 2018 14:11 by Chris Marti.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurel Carrington, Michael V, Ranger

Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh 21 Jul 2018 13:45 #109349

Yes, the guru promises "the dream will come true... eventually" and people are willing to go through a lot of shit believing that their dream will come true eventually. Lots of different gurus selling lots of different "dream...eventually" scenarios, not just spirituality...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Marti, Laurel Carrington, Michael V, Ranger

Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh 22 Jul 2018 02:25 #109350

There's a definite codependency that goes on. People with self-esteem issues, daddy/mommy issues, life crises, PTSD, etc. are vulnerable and often eager participants in their exploitation. Worshiping charismatic figures who grab all the marbles for their own ends is prevalent in our economic (Jobs, Zuckerberg, Koch brothers, etc.), political (Trump, Hillary, pick your demon or siren hehe), and popular (sports and entertainment figures) culture. "Use me lest I rot" (Kazantzakis) can so easily be diverted to personal gain on the part of leaders. Fracking of the support and membership base is remarkably common in groups that profess environmental sustainability. Knowing this can help students and teachers try to avoid such pitfalls. But I concur with Frank Herbert's take on power over others: “Absolute power does not corrupt absolutely, absolute power attracts the corruptible.”
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Marti, shargrol, Laurel Carrington, Shaun Elstob, Michael V

Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh 22 Jul 2018 09:30 #109351

You forgot to list Elon Musk :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shaun Elstob, Ranger

Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh 22 Jul 2018 11:32 #109352

SO true. The list is ... well 0.01% of the population, or perhaps the 65 who own half the world's wealth? But I digress. :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shaun Elstob
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds