If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Random Dharma

Random Dharma 27 Jul 2017 14:19 #107412

Is there a Buddhist Geeks resurrection on tap? Listen:

www.buddhistgeeks.org/
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol

Random Dharma 30 Jul 2017 20:30 #107441

Not really 'random dharma' per se - more like random adharma - but the accusations around Sogyal Rinpoche which have been around for quite a while look like they may be coming to a head, and he has 'stepped back':

www.lionsroar.com/letter-to-sogyal-rinpo...s-abuse-allegations/

Matthieu Ricard has also written a blog piece (which I find a bit victim-blamey) on this and on the silence of the Dalai Lama:

www.matthieuricard.org/en/blog/posts/a-point-of-view--2

Random Dharma 02 Aug 2017 16:06 #107463

The Buddhist Geeks podcast is showing some signs of life again. Vincent has a new episode up: www.buddhistgeeks.org/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Marti

Random Dharma 02 Aug 2017 17:34 #107465

Dude - look up-thread three posts ^

:P
Last Edit: 02 Aug 2017 17:42 by Chris Marti.

Random Dharma 03 Aug 2017 11:10 #107470

Chris Marti wrote:
Dude - look up-thread three posts ^

:P

Yeesh! You miss a post, you miss a lot!

Actually, I'm wondering if there might be an AN "feature" that caught me. I've often noticed that if I open AwakeNetwork to /forum so that it shows the unread items indicators on topics, then close the page and reenter the site, the unread indicators go away.

I would expect the unread indicator to go away only when I enter the thread. I suspect that's what I did and therefore missed Chris's post.

Anyone else see this behavior?

Random Dharma 03 Aug 2017 11:23 #107471

Yes.

What happens to me is that all the unread indicators vanish once I've visited the site and accessed the forums. Even if I don't visit or read the unread topics the formerly unread item flags will disappear and those topics will appear as read items on my next visit.

Random Dharma 03 Aug 2017 12:23 #107472

With this setup, it's sometimes the case that I miss posts (as I demonstrated above :blush:) If I'm coming back to AwakeNetwork after a few days, I don't always have the time to look through the topics in one shot, so I try to leave a browser tab open to work around this issue. If I forget, and open another tab, it clears out the indications.

My experience on other forums is that unread indications only go away once I visit a particular topic. Also, there is often a "Mark All Topics Read" button. This helps when you want to catch up on very busy sites, but don't want to visit each topic to flag it as read.

I'm curious if such a thing is available here, and if so, would there be an interest in turning it on?

Random Dharma 03 Aug 2017 12:36 #107474

Tom will know a helluva lot more than I do but a bit of Googling around I just did tells me "fixing" this might require an upgrade of the AN forum software.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy

Random Dharma 04 Aug 2017 13:39 #107478

New Buddhist Geeks podcast: Meditating on Psychedelics
Last Edit: 04 Aug 2017 13:40 by Chris Marti.

Random Dharma 04 Aug 2017 15:30 #107479

Chris Marti wrote:
New Buddhist Geeks podcast: Meditating on Psychedelics

That appears to be some sort of weird error. This is an old episode, as far as I can tell: soundcloud.com/buddhistgeeks/bg-377-meditating-on-mushrooms

Random Dharma 04 Aug 2017 19:16 #107480

The new ones called stirrings from the bardo. I like it. Vince sounds more dark & cynical than before.

Random Dharma 05 Aug 2017 11:11 #107481

The latest post is actually the one on psychedelics. It turns out that there's an accompanying article on Medium that gives some context around the series. It's not on the web page. It's only listed on the show note in the podcast itself. I spoke with Vince about it yesterday, and he's now put up the link to that article on the main page: www.buddhistgeeks.org

Re: "darker Vince". I agree--I like that tone too. I'm really looking forward to see where he goes with it.
Last Edit: 05 Aug 2017 11:14 by Andy.

Random Dharma 07 Aug 2017 23:54 #107494

I don't always love neuroscience but this was a great piece problematising the idea of 'emotional intelligence,' the concept of a 'lizard brain,' and the idea that we can use cognition to control emotion - with a discussion of 'emotional granularity' and, in particular, the benefit of using varied words for emotion that made me a bit thoughtful about noting practice (though it's not explicitly mentioned):

nautil.us/issue/51/limits/emotional-inte...ence-needs-a-rewrite
Last Edit: 07 Aug 2017 23:59 by every3rdthought.

Random Dharma 08 Aug 2017 08:10 #107495

Great article - thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: every3rdthought

Random Dharma 13 Aug 2017 22:49 #107530

Another interesting neuroscience piece, which despite being ostensibly about psychedelics is mainly about the self:

aeon.co/essays/psychedelics-work-by-viol...f-self-and-the-world

Random Dharma 13 Aug 2017 23:53 #107532

thehermitage.ca/retreats/winter/schedule
this may be of interest to people here. Daniel announced it on the DhO, as well. I am planing on going on this retreat in November. Shannon is a great teacher.

Random Dharma 17 Aug 2017 23:13 #107567

A great koan resource -

www.patheos.com/blogs/monkeymind/2017/07...mons-koan-index.html
This index lists the koans of the three central collections used in Harada-Yasutani lineages of Zen:

GG: Gateless Gate (a.k.a. Wumenguan, Wu-men-kuan, Mumonkan) – 48 cases
BCR: Blue Cliff Record (a.k.a. Biyan Lu, Pi-yen Lu, Hekiganroku) – 100 cases
BOS: Book of Serenity (a.k.a. Book of Equanimity, Congrong Lu, Ts’ung-jung Lu, Shoyoroku) – 100 cases

Some koans appear in more than one collection, and the total number of different koans is 210.* This index, when complete, will list all 210 cases, with links to posts providing the text of each case, plus a number of comments and verses. The order of the koans is roughly chronological with koans that have the same “main character” grouped together.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy, Philip

Random Dharma 18 Aug 2017 08:55 #107571

Thanks! This is a fantastic resource.

If you're interested in koans even a little bit, it's hard to go wrong by checking out John Tarrant and his fantastic Zenosaurus koan course.

Read Why Play with Koans for an introduction, then visit Zenosaurus itself. Click on "View Zenosaurus Index" near the top of the page. Then, start at the bottom of the list with "0 – Introduction: What Zen 2.0 Means"
The following user(s) said Thank You: every3rdthought, sloane, Philip

Random Dharma 18 Aug 2017 13:41 #107575

I love koans. I have the Blue Ciff Record, the Book of Serenity and all of Dogen's koans in print form. I'm a koan nerd.

Random Dharma 19 Aug 2017 21:56 #107584

Chris Marti wrote:
I love koans. I have the Blue Ciff Record, the Book of Serenity and all of Dogen's koans in print form. I'm a koan nerd.

Are the answers at the back of the book?

Random Dharma 20 Aug 2017 06:36 #107585

Only for the odd numbered ones :silly: .

Random Dharma 20 Aug 2017 09:19 #107586

There are answers?

Random Dharma 20 Aug 2017 15:00 #107592

There is a grilled cheese sandwich.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim

Random Dharma 11 Sep 2017 11:25 #107684

Monkeys shown to posses meta-cognition
(Not an inspiringly insightful interpretation by the researchers though.)
I wonder if they could be rewarded for and taught concentration and mindfulness practices, and if that would be humane?
www.rochester.edu/newscenter/monkey-sees...etacognition-266392/
Last Edit: 11 Sep 2017 11:29 by Kacchapa.

Random Dharma 12 Sep 2017 18:41 #107704

More on Jim Carrey's enlightenment... he's currently at the 'embarass yourself in public by talking about your spiritual awakening inappropriately' phase :)

consequenceofsound.net/2017/09/there-is-...pet-interview-watch/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kacchapa
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds