If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Random Dharma

Random Dharma 13 Sep 2017 06:47 #107707

Wow, you totally called it [his stink of enlightenment] a while ago! (He's a kinda scary thin. :( )
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Random Dharma 13 Sep 2017 23:07 #107717

every3rdthought wrote:
More on Jim Carrey's enlightenment... he's currently at the 'embarass yourself in public by talking about your spiritual awakening inappropriately' phase :)

consequenceofsound.net/2017/09/there-is-...pet-interview-watch/

2010 ... A&P ...

2017 ... Desire For Deliverance (Hopefully post 1st path??) ... see above

Random Dharma 14 Sep 2017 00:56 #107718

He's reached the lesser known cousin of the 'roll up your mat' phase, 'shave off your guru beard'... :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

Random Dharma 14 Sep 2017 07:09 #107722

Everything is so empty, including this beard. I'm shaving it off...

Random Dharma 14 Sep 2017 19:01 #107724

Beard is no other than emptiness, emptiness no other than beard... beard is exactly emptiness, emptiness exactly beard

Random Dharma 14 Sep 2017 19:13 #107725

:woohoo:
The following user(s) said Thank You: every3rdthought

Random Dharma 16 Oct 2017 08:40 #107898

This is an interesting article about emotions. This research validates the meditative insight that emotions are objects:

BBC Article on Research into Emotion
Last Edit: 16 Oct 2017 19:35 by Chris Marti.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kacchapa, matthew sexton, Philip

Random Dharma 18 Oct 2017 13:24 #107909

Oddly enough, I was directed to this video by a member of an astronomy and telescope making group I am associated with. But I think you'll see why I posted it here:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kacchapa

Random Dharma 18 Oct 2017 13:39 #107910

Bingo!!!

Thanks, Tom.

Random Dharma 18 Oct 2017 19:40 #107914

The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Marti, Andy, every3rdthought, Philip

Random Dharma 19 Oct 2017 15:15 #107925

An Indiegogo project looking for funding: Carving the Divine

Carving the Divine offers a rare and intimate look into the life and artistic process of modern-day Būshi – practitioners of a 1400 year lineage of woodcarving that’s at the beating heart of Japanese, Mahayana Buddhism.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shaun Elstob

Random Dharma 31 Oct 2017 06:39 #107959

The following user(s) said Thank You: Shaun Elstob, Geoff

Random Dharma 12 Nov 2017 18:42 #108042

The Bully and the Buddhist

"A former schoolyard bully, Jeff Zlotnik found a new identity through Buddhism. A classmate wonders why he changed—and if he remembers the pain he caused."

As someone who got bullied a lot at school I found this article really interesting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shaun Elstob, Philip

Random Dharma 12 Nov 2017 18:46 #108043

Funny timing - I just read that article on a flight today!
Last Edit: 12 Nov 2017 18:46 by Chris Marti.

Random Dharma 05 Jan 2018 08:55 #108290

The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Marti, shargrol, Andy, Philip

Random Dharma 09 Jan 2018 09:34 #108310

Wondermark seems to be on a dharma roll:

wondermark.com/c1369/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kacchapa, Laurel Carrington, matthew sexton

Random Dharma 09 Jan 2018 17:14 #108313

There's a totally fascinating interview on the Deconstructing Yourself podcast--Michael Taft interviews Thomas Metzinger.
http://deconstructingyourself.com/podcast/dy-012-consciousness-spirituality-intellectual-honesty-guest-thomas-metzinger

They talk a fair amount about VR and it's relationship to emptiness, and Thomas comes up with a really nifty way to describe emptiness in VR terms. Also, he describes how some of the visuals people experience during low-dose psychedelics are actually caused by access to earlier stages of visual processing. There's a good amount about Douglas Harding and how his 'headless' exercises are a shortcut way to get a glimpse of the world without a self in the middle. There's way too much there to summarize.

"Thomas Metzinger and I discuss having moral integrity with yourself, intellectual honesty in the pursuit of spirituality, the overlapping goals of science and spirituality, the possibility of a fully secularized spirituality, neurofeedback and virtual reality, mortality denial, the simulation hypothesis, and a whole bunch more."

"Thomas Metzinger is full professor and director of the theoretical philosophy group and the research group on neuroethics/neurophilosophy at the department of philosophy, Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz, Germany. He is the founder and director of the MIND group and Adjunct Fellow at the Frankfurt Institute of Advanced Studies, Germany. His research centers on analytic philosophy of mind, applied ethics, philosophy of cognitive science, and philosophy of mind. He is the editor of Neural Correlates of Consciousness and the author of Being No One and The Ego Tunnel.
Show Notes
0:25 – Introduction
2:53 – Interesting times in the world
4:12 – Summary of Thomas’ talk, “Spirituality and Intellectual Honesty”
7:46 – Impact and divided reactions to “Spirituality and Intellectual Honesty”
12:43 – Internal moral integrity: belief formation & authority
17:05 – Needing a teacher, master or guru
21:10 – Surrender, Western enlightenment and the “crazy corner”
24:13 – Getting science to say something interesting about human experience
26:08 – Neurofeedback glasses for walking meditation; taking meditation into life
30:00 – Virtuality and nothingness, consciousness as virtual reality
34:03 – Suchness; spirituality as de-immersion from conscious experience, meditating on artifacts
36:20 – The feeling of being real, transparently and opacity
38:55 – Hyperreality & derealization: hallucinogens, religious ecstasy and seizures
40:42 – VR meditation, getting in touch with virtuality
42:28 – Reaching earlier brain processing stages through meditation or hallucinogens
45:43 – The Ruining Innocence podcast: a half-serious criticism of taxonomies and discussing meditation
49:33 – Thomas’ thoughts on the Arrow of Attention; correlates in neuroscience
53:20 – Mindfulness of inattention and avoidance, pitfalls of mindfulness
56:07 – Discussing Douglas Harding: the Headless Way and immersion; more discussion of the Arrow of Attention
1:00:14 – The self as a visual metaphor; the pre-3D lump of sensations and motor babbling
1:03:23 – Thomas’ recent studies of subjectivity: the epistemic agent model of self
1:09:48 – How it transpires that the Self is not conscious
1:11:34 – Questioning science’s value for practice; the moral imperative of trying to improve contemplative practice
1:15:12 – Thomas’ critique of the perennial philosophy; strategies of mortality denial
1:22:07 – The simulation hypothesis; thoughts in the mind of god
1:25:41 – Is suffering real, and how deep does reality go?
1:29:05 – A hypothetical merging of science and subjectivity
1:31:29 – Outro
"
Last Edit: 09 Jan 2018 17:25 by Andy. Reason: moar better werds
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol, Kacchapa, Laurel Carrington

Random Dharma 23 Jan 2018 09:06 #108383

"Get high now!? I was thinking of waiting till my husband & son where asleep." - medical marijuana customer

"Aw, honey. Cannabis isn't about withdrawing from your family, it's about altering your perception of them." - medical marijuana shop owner

=========

From comedy show 'Disjointed'. Thought the same could be said about practice.
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds