If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sleep Cycle App

Sleep Cycle App 30 Apr 2013 04:50 #11418

So we talked about this app a bit on the hangout last night, and I tried it out and think it's super cool. I like experiments and looking at the data! I want to know if I have a regular way of sleeping, or if it changes night to night. What it showed seemed relevant:

Went to bed at 22:55
Deep sleep range through 3 am, with one slightly less deep period around 00:30 and one very deep part at 01:00.
3:30 am zipped right up to "Awake" (don't remember it)
4:15 way back down in deep sleep again.
5:01: woke up, got up
5:30: actual alarm time

I know I nearly always have a waking up around 3 am (sometimes it's just for a few seconds, sometimes I get up and do stuff). I'm curious to see what my sleep patterns are like over time.

Anyway, it was kind of fun and seems plenty sensitive to notice all ones wriggling around. I wonder if it's a problem keeping track of YOUR wriggling if you share a bed? Wouldn't it pick up the spouse's (or pet or toddler!) wriggling, too?

Are you others using it liking it? Which parts do you like best?
Last Edit: 30 Apr 2013 04:52 by Ona Kiser.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Sleep Cycle App 30 Apr 2013 07:17 #11420

Can you please post a link for those that were not on the Hangout?

Sleep Cycle App 30 Apr 2013 07:38 #11422

Sleep Cycle App 30 Apr 2013 09:45 #11426

Tried this for the first time last night too. It needs 5 days of data to calibrate it seems. I'll post more soon, but it was pretty accurate as far as I am concerned on my first graph.

Sleep Cycle App 30 Apr 2013 09:56 #11427

It looks really interesting, so I splurged and bought it too. Looking forward to trying it. I wish I could use the alarm feature, but the downside is that if you have a spouse, your alarm won't coincide with their cycle and is bound to mess them up. Or, if they are using the app too, then it will be duelling cycles!

Sleep Cycle App 30 Apr 2013 11:24 #11431

Tom, how do you use an alarm now? Or do you just magically wake up without an alarm? The alarm on this app obviously has volume control and such. But what do others do about spouse alarms? Even if they don't have an alarm, one tends to wake up when they get up during the night or in the morning. Ditto with younger children or hungry dogs/cats.

Sleep Cycle App 30 Apr 2013 11:35 #11432

I have a Samsung Galaxy III and use Sleep as Android play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.urbandroid.sleep. It's in bed right next to me and when the alarm begins to sound I realize it's not a dream and shut it off. It doesn't bother my husband.

Sleep Cycle App 30 Apr 2013 11:38 #11434

OK this graph is last night. That 2 am time my daughter came in woke me up because she had a bad dream. 4:40am, my wife's alarm went off for her to go workout, but she never did. I was restless for a while and i guess i started to drift again before it woke me up.

image.jpg
Last Edit: 30 Apr 2013 11:40 by Russell.

Sleep Cycle App 30 Apr 2013 13:14 #11441

I'd love to see other people's. Here's mine. I don't remember anything from the night (ie waking up or other disturbances). The alarm was set for 5:30, so it probably was already starting it's cycle - I remember waking up at 5:01 (I checked the phone to see) and I got out of bed a few minutes later. I often wake up around 3am, so that "waking up" cycle the graph shows is typical, though I don't remember it last night.

sleep1.jpg
Last Edit: 30 Apr 2013 13:16 by Ona Kiser.

Sleep Cycle App 30 Apr 2013 13:17 #11442

You slept a whole hell of a lot better than I did :)

Sleep Cycle App 30 Apr 2013 13:56 #11443

Now, now, this isn't a competition! :whistle: If we wanted the worst sleeper award, I'd win hands-down. :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ona Kiser

Sleep Cycle App 30 Apr 2013 16:42 #11444

Ona Kiser wrote:
Tom, how do you use an alarm now? Or do you just magically wake up without an alarm? The alarm on this app obviously has volume control and such. But what do others do about spouse alarms? Even if they don't have an alarm, one tends to wake up when they get up during the night or in the morning. Ditto with younger children or hungry dogs/cats.

The alarm is set for my wife, and I ostensibly wake to that too, although I don't have to get out of bed until about 30m later so I will doze. I can easily go back to sleep when wakened, but she cannot. But regardless, if the point is to wake each person when the time is "right", the first person up is bound to disturb the sleep cycle of the other. My ideal situation would be if I could get up at the right time for me well in advance of my wife, *and* manage to get up without waking her, so I can get a good morning meditation in.

Sleep Cycle App 01 May 2013 05:45 #11448

A colleague at work showed me this a while ago (think its the same). Any issues with sleeping close to a phone transmitter?

Sleep Cycle App 01 May 2013 06:22 #11449

I put my phone in airplane mode at night, for what it's worth (and to avoid getting any pings or calls from people in other time zones). And it lays face down, so you aren't bothered by the light from the screen.

Sleep Cycle App 01 May 2013 06:31 #11450

Good Idea.

Sleep Cycle App 01 May 2013 06:35 #11451

So here's Tuesday night. When I went to bed I was not sleepy, but rather energized from a long phone call and a cup of green tea. I remember tossing and turning for what seemed like a long time and the neighbor upstairs clomping around and putting loud music on. I was hot, and put the fan on, but decided it was too noisy and turned it off again. I suspect the waking up around 11:30 was part of this period where the neighbor was making noise and I was tossing and turning. I remember waking up again when he came home after being away for a few hours - I'm guessing that was the 2:30 mark. (There's not usually any noise from upstairs - they must have someone visiting, a kid home from college?) When the alarm rang at 5am I was very groggy, dehydrated from being too warm, and stiff.
sleep2.jpg

Sleep Cycle App 01 May 2013 09:13 #11452

I'm curious about the grogginess, Ona. According to the chart, you were supposed to be at the point in your sleep where you were most easily able to be woken by the alarm.

Sleep Cycle App 01 May 2013 10:06 #11454

Here is my chart from last night. Notice the time from 6:30 to 7, where I was dozing after my wife got up. Interestingly, if I had the alarm set it would presumably have woken me shortly after 6, and when her alarm went off I was going into another deeper dive. Odd that the chart does not start from "awake".

Image-1.png
Last Edit: 01 May 2013 10:51 by Tom Otvos. Reason: Adding image

Sleep Cycle App 01 May 2013 12:58 #11460

I used to use SleepCycle back in 2011, when I was trying to figure out why I wasn't rested after sleeping. I think I stopped using it several months after stream entry. Lately, sleep has not been as restful, and after seeing others' charts, I thought I'd restart. Here's last night's chart. I seem to have slept well most of the night. After 5:00 am or so, I remember having awareness for quite a while that I was moving around some. The app, however, thought I was asleep. What stands out is that I never had the regular light sleep - REM cycle after 4:00 am. Maybe that's why I don't feel as rested?

Last Edit: 01 May 2013 13:00 by Andy.

Sleep Cycle App 01 May 2013 13:25 #11461

Today's wacky chart for me - felt like a good nights sleep. Woke up groggy though.

image_2013-05-01.jpg

Sleep Cycle App 01 May 2013 14:54 #11462

Maybe we can change the topic of this thread to Asleepnetwork chat :)

Sleep Cycle App 01 May 2013 16:05 #11464

andy wrote:
.... I seem to have slept well most of the night. After 5:00 am or so, I remember having awareness for quite a while that I was moving around some. The app, however, thought I was asleep. What stands out is that I never had the regular light sleep - REM cycle after 4:00 am. Maybe that's why I don't feel as rested?

You say "I slept well" but the graph is bouncing up to awake over and over all night long?

I do say this app is measuring body movement, not states of consciousness, though for most people this correlates, which is why they built the app like that (my understanding anyway). If you laid perfectly still meditating it would say "asleep".

I still think it will be interesting to see what the pattern is after 10 day so - if there is any regularity to how I sleep (per the app).

Sleep Cycle App 01 May 2013 18:49 #11470

What does this app measure, exactly? Physical movement?

Sleep Cycle App 01 May 2013 19:05 #11471

Yeah, the motion sensor in the phone measures the movement in the mattress - you lay it near your pillow on the mattress.

"During the night you go from light sleep to deep sleep, occasionally entering into a dream state which is called REM-sleep. These are things that your normal alarm clock does not care about, and will go off at the set time regardless of whether you are in a light sleep phase or in the deepest sleep. However, since you move differently in bed during the different phases, the Sleep Cycle alarm clock is able to use the accelerometer in your iPhone to monitor your movement and determine which sleep phase you are in. Sleep Cycle then uses a 30 minute alarm window that ends at your set alarm time and wakes you in your lightest sleep phase." - from their website.

Sleep Cycle App 01 May 2013 19:08 #11472

So does it measure just my movements or will it pick up my wife's and the cat and/or dog in the bed with us?

:P
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds