If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sleep Cycle App

Sleep Cycle App 01 May 2013 19:11 #11474

"We have done a lot of testing in order to make Sleep Cycle work with two persons in bed. The short answer is: yes, Sleep Cycle works very well with two persons in bed. It could be a problem if the person using Sleep Cycle weighs much less than the other person but in normal circumstances it works very well.
There are two cases regarding this issue:

1) Sleep Cycle has a hard time detecting your movement.
In this case the movement of the other person will not be registered at all so there really is no issue. Sleep Cycle will work in a mode that uses all movement detected for the sleep analysis.

2) Sleep Cycle detects a lot of movement, from you AND the other person.
In this case Sleep Cycle will adjust it’s algorithm to only register larger movements. The small movements will be filtered. Since the other person is further away from the device these movements are smaller and will be filtered out.

Our extensive testing show that this works well."
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Sleep Cycle App 01 May 2013 19:11 #11475

If your cat lays ON the phone (which any cat will do instantly), your mileage may vary. :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jake St. Onge, Laurel Carrington

Sleep Cycle App 01 May 2013 19:17 #11476

I'll download it and try it.

It reminds me in a way of fMRI studies - you have to take a leap of faith that what it actually measures (movement) is a good proxy for what we'd like it to measure (sleep cycle).

/skeptical thinking
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jake St. Onge

Sleep Cycle App 01 May 2013 21:14 #11478

Chris Marti wrote:
I'll download it and try it.

It reminds me in a way of fMRI studies - you have to take a leap of faith that what it actually measures (movement) is a good proxy for what we'd like it to measure (sleep cycle).

/skeptical thinking

Fortunately (and I am not saying they actually did this), they could have calibrated the device using real EEG data, which is a pretty reliable indicator of sleep. Contrast that with our holy grail of fMRI data backing up meditative states...weak correlation at best, for now. It also reminds me of the "calorie burn" metrics put out by Polar heart rate monitors. There is no 1-to-1 correspondence between heart rate and work performed, just averages and interpolations.

Sleep Cycle App 02 May 2013 17:00 #11487

The more I think about this app the more confused I am about how it works. It is equating "deep sleep" with lack of movement and yet, when you are dreaming are you not totally immobile? I recall reading that when you enter the dream state, your body releases a chemical that essentially disengages your motor functions, in order to prevent you from acting out your dreams. So this app would therefore equate "deep" with REM sleep, which doesn't seem right.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-rapid_eye_movement_sleep
www.psychologytoday.com/blog/sleepless-i...e-mystery-deep-sleep
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Marti

Sleep Cycle App 02 May 2013 18:29 #11488

Now that's what I'm talkin' about. It's one thing to sell software to the masses, another thing to actually be measuring the sleep cycle. Those tow things may not match up very well through an iPhone.

Sleep Cycle App 02 May 2013 18:41 #11489

have you ever watched your spouse in dream sleep? they twitch, mumble, wriggle. (which makes me wonder about the movement suppression, which is clearly partially effective but not totally). last night i was aware of intense dreaming in the second part of the night, and the graph showed lots of up cycles (ie small movements instead of total stillness). so ymmv?

Sleep Cycle App 02 May 2013 18:48 #11490

I suspect it will work best if we believe in it.
Last Edit: 02 May 2013 18:48 by Chris Marti.

Sleep Cycle App 02 May 2013 21:59 #11493

Ona Kiser wrote:
have you ever watched your spouse in dream sleep? they twitch, mumble, wriggle. (which makes me wonder about the movement suppression, which is clearly partially effective but not totally). last night i was aware of intense dreaming in the second part of the night, and the graph showed lots of up cycles (ie small movements instead of total stillness). so ymmv?

I really don't know, except that I have now read in several references that the body is paralyzed during REM sleep. I have also read that deep sleep is not without dreams, they are just of a different character. But what do I know?

Sleep Cycle App 04 May 2013 09:39 #11514

I've finally gotten the 5 days in to calibrate this thing. It said my sleep quality was 86% last night. I have no idea what to do with this data. It's kind of fun but, I think I can be own barometer for how I slept. I will continue to try to use it as an alarm and see if it makes a difference in how I feel when I wake up, but to me this toy is losing its luster.

Sleep Cycle App 04 May 2013 11:30 #11517

I've used this thing a bunch over the years. The sleep quality percentage thing is fairly new, and of questionable efficacy, I think. :-)

The alarm clock seems to work well for a few days/weeks, but after a while I'm just as likely to be groggy as without it so I stop using it.

Sleep Cycle App 04 May 2013 18:15 #11519

Nothing like over-analyzing a bit of fun... oh well.
At the least it has a super excellent alarm, because it starts quietly, it snoozes by slapping at it without opening your eyes...
I was enjoying seeing the little charts, too, that showed how much I moved around at night.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds