If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: meditation bench: make your own

meditation bench: make your own 18 Jun 2013 17:56 #12680

There are instructions here (sixth link down on page, opens a PDF): futurereligion.org/instruction/

Here are photos of mine. The legs don't quite fold flat because I wanted them set in from the outer edges of the seat (aesthetics), and they are cut longer than normal to accomodate my longer thigh length. These didn't take long to make - cut the wood, sand it, measure for the hinges, and screw the legs on.

If find it much more comfortable than cross-legged or half-lotus; I don't find standard sitting benches comfortable because of my longer legs: standard ones squash my knee angle, leaving me with cramping knees or falling-asleep feet.

open.JPG
Attachments:
Last Edit: 18 Jun 2013 17:58 by Ona Kiser.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom Otvos, every3rdthought

meditation bench: make your own 19 Jun 2013 22:38 #12720

Nice! I've been thinking about getting a kneeling bench cos in the past I always sat cross-legged but now my knee's gone. Been sitting on a couch which is fine in the morning but sometimes in the evening I fall asleep... But the ones I can get over the counter around here are expensive and I imagine mailing would be to buy one online. DIY dharma...

meditation bench: make your own 20 Jun 2013 04:39 #12723

I got one last year and have used it every day since. When I started daily meditation, I started doing all these yoga stretches with the aim of getting into a lotus position eventually but realised it was not necessary and was wasting time. So I got a folding bench and a cushion and its been great - no issues with knees. Cost me about $70 online delivered though (yes bit of a rip-off) and I would have preferred to make my own but didn't have the time or place to do it.
Last Edit: 20 Jun 2013 04:40 by Rod.

meditation bench: make your own 20 Jun 2013 05:36 #12724

Benches are really good for sitting, compared with destroying the knees. ;)
(I also spent too much time and pain trying to get into some kind of lotus position.)
It is also nice to add a little padding for comfort.

meditation bench: make your own 20 Jun 2013 06:12 #12725

If you need padding, you need to eat more butter and bacon. :D (teasing).

meditation bench: make your own 20 Jun 2013 07:30 #12727

I started with a seiza bench that I made myself...didn't fold, but the legs were designed to fit into slots so I could collapse it. I still use it from time to time, although lately when I sit seiza I now use my new buckwheat cushion and extra pad, which works *really* well.

Ona, the part of the instructions that was left out was what size to make the bench based on femur length. Do you recall the ranges? Kind of moot since I would certainly be "large", but just curious.

meditation bench: make your own 20 Jun 2013 08:36 #12729

I remember us getting measured, but I don't remember how that was translated into the bench height. I'll ask a couple friends who were helping make them and see if they know.

ETA: re-reading the instructions, there's this note, which I think covers it:

If femur length is 16 inches, then make legs 7.75 inches long (at longest side, since they are slanted). If femur is longer (17 or 18 inches) make the leg 1 inch longer (8.75 inches, which would be what mine are). If femur is shorter (14 or 15 inches, say), make leg 1 inch shorter (6.75 inches).

Make sense? Is that what you were asking about? We measured femur by measuring the side of the thigh from knee bend to hip socket bend (measuring with leg bent helps you find the points).
Last Edit: 20 Jun 2013 08:40 by Ona Kiser.

meditation bench: make your own 20 Jun 2013 09:08 #12734

Russell came across this interesting variation:

ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41FibWAzgiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

A one-legged bench.

meditation bench: make your own 20 Jun 2013 09:29 #12736

Ona Kiser wrote:
I remember us getting measured, but I don't remember how that was translated into the bench height. I'll ask a couple friends who were helping make them and see if they know.

ETA: re-reading the instructions, there's this note, which I think covers it:

If femur length is 16 inches, then make legs 7.75 inches long (at longest side, since they are slanted). If femur is longer (17 or 18 inches) make the leg 1 inch longer (8.75 inches, which would be what mine are). If femur is shorter (14 or 15 inches, say), make leg 1 inch shorter (6.75 inches).

Make sense? Is that what you were asking about? We measured femur by measuring the side of the thigh from knee bend to hip socket bend (measuring with leg bent helps you find the points).

I don't know how I missed that.

meditation bench: make your own 20 Jun 2013 09:39 #12738

It was in the intro section, maybe not repeated in the step-by-step part.
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds