If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The Way it Is

The Way it Is 03 Jul 2013 07:26 #13138

Check out this brilliant book! Excerpt (from several chapters):

"The practice of meditation is reflecting on 'the way it is' in order to see the fears and desires which we create. This is quite a simple practice, but the practice of Dhamma should be very very simple rather than complicated. Many methods of meditation are very complicated with many stages and techniques - so one becomes addicted to complicated things. Sometimes because of our attachment to views, we don't really know how things are. However, the more simple we get, the more clear, profound and meaningful everything is to us.
'I want it to be otherwise' is the wail of the age, isn't it? Why can't life be otherwise? Why do people have to die? Why do we have to get old? Why this sickness?...
How many of you have been practising today trying to become something: 'I have got to do this..or become that..or get rid of something...or got to do something.' That compulsiveness takes over, even in our practice of Dhamma. 'This is the way it is' isn't a fatalistic attitude of not caring or being indifferent, but is a real openness to the way things have to be at this moment. for example, right now at this moment, this is the way it is and it can't be any other way at this moment. It's so obvious, isn't it?
Right now, [no matter how you are feeling] this is the way it is. And it can't be any other way at this moment.
The sensory world is pleasurable and painful, it's beautiful and ugly, it's netural; there are all gradations, all possibilities in it. This is just what sensory experience is about. But when there's ignorance and the self-view operating, I only want pleasure and I don't want pain. I only want beauty and I don't want ugliness. ....
From the view-point of the self, there's a tremendous fear...
So we gravitate to security, don't we? ....And in that demand there's always going to be anxiety because of the grasping at desire....
We are not here to become anything or to get rid of anything, to change anything or to make anything for ourselves, or to demand anything, but to awaken more and more, to reflect, observe and know the Dhamma. Don't worry that it might change for the worse. Whatever way it changes, we have the wisdom to adapt to it. ...
This life-span is a transition we're involved in, this is a journey through the sensory realm and there are no nests, no homes, no abiding in this sensory realm. it's all very impermanent, subject to disruption and change at any moment. That is its nature. That's the way it is. There's nothing depressing about that if you no longer make the deamnd for security in it.
The view of the self sends forth all these delusions in which we have to protect ourselves all the time. We're always endangered, there's always something to be worried about, something to be frightened of. But when that illusion is punctured with wisdom, then there is fearlessness; we see this is a journey, a transition from the sensory realm and we are willing to learn the lessons it teaches us, no matter what those lessons might be.

From "The Way it Is" by Ajahn Sumedho
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Russell, Tina

The Way it Is 03 Jul 2013 08:51 #13147

The Way it Is 03 Jul 2013 09:04 #13148

The Way it Is 03 Jul 2013 10:13 #13154

"Let me google that for you." :D

My husband was reading it to me for breakfast. We found the book for free at a Chinese temple in New York.
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds