If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Guests on private threads?

Guests on private threads? 13 Nov 2012 18:23 #7797

From time to time I'll be on my private practice thread, and I'll note that two people are viewing: me and (1) guest. I thought only enrolled members could see those threads. What gives? Thanks, Laurel
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ranger

Re: Guests on private threads? 14 Nov 2012 08:46 #7805

Laurel, no one but registered members can see our private threads. I've tested this many, many times. There is a dashboard type of indicator that shows how many people are on the whole site but they cannot "follow" you specifically unless they are reading your posts in a public area.

So... please help me understand if I'm missing something.

- Chris
Last Edit: 14 Nov 2012 08:46 by Chris Marti.

Re: Guests on private threads? 14 Nov 2012 09:09 #7808

It's hard to understand. If I bounce around different threads right now, one says 2 viewing (Ona Kiser, 1 guest), another says 2 viewing (Ona Kiser, Kate), another it says 1 viewing. All within a few seconds of clicking from thread to thread.

It only shows the info when you are at the thread level, so it's easy to interpret as how many people are viewing *that* thread. And if it's site wide viewers, why does it change from thread to thread (unless people are rapidly hopping on and off the site, which is possible).

Re: Guests on private threads? 14 Nov 2012 10:05 #7812

That's just Joomla's way of informing you who's on the site. I'm sure we can turn it off altogether (or hide the dashboard) if people would prefer that. I find it sort of useful myself, but YMMV.

Re: Guests on private threads? 14 Nov 2012 10:18 #7814

Doesn't really bother me. I pay more attention to the sign under people's avatars that says "Now Online".

Re: Guests on private threads? 14 Nov 2012 22:20 #7838

I'll just say that I never really thought guests were actually viewing my thread, but I was puzzled by the whole phenomenon. No biggie.

Re: Guests on private threads? 15 Nov 2012 19:29 #7860

???

But, Laurel, you pretty clearly said you thought guests were reading our private threads.....

I'm confused.

Re: Guests on private threads? 15 Nov 2012 21:06 #7862

I guess I was concerned just a little, because I have had the same experience Ona describes, of bouncing around from one thread to another and seeing a different list of viewers for each thread (including a guest indicated when on my thread). But I also tested it by trying to see the private threads without logging on, and I never got on. So I'm reassured. I am still somewhat curious about those shifting lists of viewers, but it's obviously just people logging on and off the site as a whole.

Re: Guests on private threads? 16 Nov 2012 07:00 #7869

Hmm, I definitely interpreted that info as referring to who was viewing *this* thread, i.e., whichever thread I am on. I just tested it by jumping back and forth between three threads, and each one retained the same sets of current viewers, each one different from the others, with no one viewing two threads. So if that is supposed to indicate who is on the site, not who is on the thread, then I'm confused.

Re: Guests on private threads? 16 Nov 2012 08:22 #7870

I'll find out from Tom Otvos exactly what the footer stuff is telling us. He's the Joomla/Kunena expert and configured this place to begin with. I just poked around in the admin modules and see nothing at all that even refers to this issue.

Re: Guests on private threads? 16 Nov 2012 13:27 #7881

So.... the "who's viewing" data is part of the breadcrumbs module here on this forum. It's context sensitive as far as I can tell, but I cannot re-configure it based on my investigation. I can only show it, or hide it. I think it's fine being shown because (in my view) it tells me where I am in the menu system or on the site in general. I'm not sure the "who's viewing" display is exactly correct because it does show "guest" viewers in private threads where we KNOW they cannot see the comments. It may be showing us guests at a higher level in the menu system, or it may just be full of shit. I really don't know and I think I'd be wasting my time were I to dig any further ;-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jake St. Onge, Ranger
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds