If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Not just a message board

Not just a message board 12 Feb 2013 13:34 #9158

I am not sure how much exploring you have done on our little network, but I wanted to bring to your attention the fact that this is not just a message board. The software we are using provides a social network that is kind of like Facebook in many ways. I know what the world does *not* need is yet another social network, but the thinking behind this being here is that you might want to be sharing stuff that is dharma-related that you might not want to share with your "other" friends.

So please feel free to check out what is under the "Share" menu item.

Related to this, is there something else you would like to see? You can, for example, see that I have a placeholder for a learning wiki, where we might collect information about stuff relevant to the dharma or awakening. But I can see that as being a bit redundant, too, with other outside resources. Comments on that are very welcome.

We are also contemplating enabling blogging. This is also a potentially redundant thing since some of you have your own personal blogs. But part of me is very attracted to the "casual blog", where you don't write on a very regular basis because you (a) don't have the time, or (b) have that much to say. My model for this is medium.com, and I would love to get something like that going here. So "your" blog would actually be "the" blog, and you are a semi-regular (or highly irregular) contributor. Comments on that idea are also very welcome.

And, uh, any other comments are very, very welcome.
Last Edit: 12 Feb 2013 13:34 by Tom Otvos.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Not just a message board 12 Feb 2013 14:33 #9160

Any chance to use some of these features as a way of recovering KFD threads from Wet paint? I've about come to the realization that I am not going to recover my threads on my own. I just can't get down to it. But maybe I could reconstruct some of it. Just a thought.

Re: Not just a message board 12 Feb 2013 15:09 #9162

That is a possibility, Laurel, but we are looking at that specific problem from a number of different angles, the more automatic approaches being far preferable to the manual ones.

Re: Not just a message board 12 Feb 2013 18:00 #9164

Hi Tom, this seems to be a good place to ask who owns the content we post here? If we repeat it elsewhere are we then in conflict with your vision for this site? Just curious, thanks!

Re: Not just a message board 12 Feb 2013 20:30 #9165

Mike (and everyone) we do have rules here. You can read them on this page: www.awakenetwork.org/index.php/forum/rules

We do not claim ownership of your words. You own those. You can repost what you say here anywhere you want, although we'd appreciate it if you'd put in a good word for us when you do that.

Fair?

Feedback?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shoshin

Re: Not just a message board 12 Feb 2013 21:18 #9170

Works for me. Thanks for the clarification. :)

Re: Not just a message board 15 Feb 2013 01:24 #9193

I just wrote a response to a movie I saw. Not sure where to post it here(?) It is kind of a spoiler if you haven't seen the film.

Also, often when I click on something here, the thing times out... and fyi...when I tried to update my profile, the page became so sensitive and hyper, I closed the browser.

thanks much, Constance

Re: Not just a message board 15 Feb 2013 08:13 #9195

Constance, can you tell me if you are on broadband? No one has mentioned the timeouts before, although the site is slow - we plan to upgrade to a higher bandwidth Amazon hosting service soon to ameliorate that.

Can you describe a little more what "sensitive" and "hyper" mean in relation to the interface?

As for where to post your movie review, I'd do that here:

awakenetwork.org/index.php/forum/105-rea...wing-recommendations

Re: Not just a message board 15 Feb 2013 18:42 #9204

We have high speed dsl.

About the sensitivity: when I highlighted an area, the entire area was highlighted, I couldn't control the cursor placement, it kept jumping around, and then, the entire amount kept highlighting and deleting, so I just closed it.

Thanks for the info.

Just getting used to the navigation and utility here.

Re: Not just a message board 16 Feb 2013 09:58 #9206

Okay, thanks.

Re: Not just a message board 19 Feb 2013 09:25 #9225

Chris Marti wrote:
...although the site is slow - we plan to upgrade to a higher bandwidth Amazon hosting service soon to ameliorate that.

I notice a lag of about 2-3 second when clicking on pretty much anything in the site. I wonder if there is something on the database or forum backend that is sufferering some sort of delay. The page itself downloads and renders almost instantly once the delay is over, so I'm not sure higher bandwidth would help that.
Chris Marti wrote:
Can you describe a little more what "sensitive" and "hyper" mean in relation to the interface?

I noticed this in the private messaging when I used my iPad to respond to a message. It was almost unusable for me when I tried to position the cursor to do some editing. The cursor would jump to the top, then to the bottom, then to the top again. Also, the response text box was wide, but very short, allowing me to view only a couple lines of text at once.

Re: Not just a message board 20 Feb 2013 06:42 #9235

I get the 2-3 second delay as well. Not all the time but about 95% of the time. Maybe there is a caching issue. That said, bandwidth tends to help with a lot of ills.

I'll try the site from my iPad today and see how that goes, too.

Re: Not just a message board 20 Feb 2013 09:28 #9239

andy wrote:
Chris Marti wrote:
...although the site is slow - we plan to upgrade to a higher bandwidth Amazon hosting service soon to ameliorate that.

I notice a lag of about 2-3 second when clicking on pretty much anything in the site. I wonder if there is something on the database or forum backend that is sufferering some sort of delay. The page itself downloads and renders almost instantly once the delay is over, so I'm not sure higher bandwidth would help that.

Just to be clear, when we are talking about beefing up the back-end resources at Amazon, it is not network bandwidth that we are talking about. Rather, it is the size of the virtual instance the server is running on: a bigger CPU. There are a number of things I can do to make the system perform better, and the nice thing about Amazon is that you essential get what you pay for. You need more power? No problem. But each boost costs incrementally more, and it is a little tough to justify the additional cost as present.
Last Edit: 20 Feb 2013 11:52 by Tom Otvos.

Re: Not just a message board 20 Feb 2013 11:09 #9240

Not bandwidth, CPU - check.

I'm getting faster load times now, although there is still a slight delay when I navigate from place to place.

Re: Not just a message board 20 Feb 2013 12:10 #9241

On this page I got (at the bottom) "Time to create page: 5.98 seconds"

That's really long in internet load times. I am on a 50Mbps connection.

What is the server running on now. I can offer my Virtual Private Server for you to test on if you want. I can install the platform and see how it loads. It is just Joomla with Kunena, right?

Re: Not just a message board 20 Feb 2013 12:31 #9243

Yeah, my load times are 5-6 seconds per page, on a broadband/cable connection (19bps). It seems unnecessarily slow for "just text" - but it's not a life-crisis or anything. Other sites (with the exception of the old KFD and Typepad!!) load much faster. I'm sort of used to it.

Re: Not just a message board 20 Feb 2013 13:10 #9246

www.chozick.com/test/index.php/forum/index loading fast on my test server

Re: Not just a message board 20 Feb 2013 13:34 #9247

Russell wrote:
On this page I got (at the bottom) "Time to create page: 5.98 seconds"

That's really long in internet load times. I am on a 50Mbps connection.

What is the server running on now. I can offer my Virtual Private Server for you to test on if you want. I can install the platform and see how it loads. It is just Joomla with Kunena, right?

Russell,

For me, the "time to create page is under 4s", but regardless, the issue here is clearly one of server horsepower. Once constructed, the page should load/render very quickly, so unless you are on dialup your personal pipe size is probably not a factor at all.

Yes, it is Joomla and Kunena (and MySQL, of course), all running on a moderately small AWS instance. Where is your VPS hosted? We could install there and run a head-to-head comparison, if you are offering it up as a permanent home.

If we stay on AWS, we can double the horsepower and see if that helps significantly, and if I wanted to get really fancy I would separate the database and web server. But that all costs something, and for the most part Chris and I are footing the bill here so we are kind of sensitive to anything that increases our costs.

Re: Not just a message board 20 Feb 2013 15:44 #9249

Hey Tom, send me a PM and we can discuss details. I would just need to see what kind of resources this site uses, etc. We can always run some tests. Let's share specifics over email or something. Just shoot me a message.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy

Re: Not just a message board 20 Feb 2013 20:15 #9252

Tom Otvos wrote:
You can, for example, see that I have a placeholder for a learning wiki, where we might collect information about stuff relevant to the dharma or awakening. But I can see that as being a bit redundant, too, with other outside resources. Comments on that are very welcome.

We are also contemplating enabling blogging.
Hi Tomo
As far as the learning wiki is concerned, I was thinking maybe a Glossary might be useful - with links to authoritive texts for more in-depth explanations. Also, in the same vain, a list of links to online resources to learn more about various Dharma traditions, systems, etc., for further exploration. You could complement this list with articles on how these traditions/systems relate to Pragmatic Dharma (or point to articles elsewhere with this info).

If you enable the Blog I'm sure it will be used, although personally, I have a blog elsewhere and my private (for member's only) practice/diary thread is like a personal blog. I think the blog idea will appeal to those who might want a more public thread/space for their ideas. It may also appeal to teachers?

Just a little consideration, in my experience with Joomla websites, the more complex (plugins/modules/components) on the site = the more likely it is there will be an unexpected glitch when one part gets updated later on, therefore bugs and crashes are more likely to happen. It is also harder to figure out which part of the website is spiking the PHP memory too high (causing "Internal Server Error" warnings), etc.

These are just my (incomplete) initial thoughts on these ideas.

:-)
Last Edit: 20 Feb 2013 20:17 by Colin.

Re: Not just a message board 21 Feb 2013 06:49 #9257

Perspective --

We moved here from a free message board system because we wanted to avoid the disaster that just occcurred to KFD; a faceless company that runs free message boards one day deciding to clean house for unknown, unstated reasons and deleting all our precious content. We purchased and opened this domain, we were careful to move almost every post (we missed a few because of glitches on the host's side and their failure to reply to our requests for more recent backups) and Tom and I have since been footing the bill for the AWS services this site runs on. The good part is we own this place and can't be shut down or deleted by an uncaring host. We did all this because we believe in what we're doing and believe it has a lot of value for a fair number of people, including us.

Agreed, this is not the fastest website around, and offers of server space and technical assistance are welcome. Also welcome are donations to help both defray our current cost of operation and future enhancements.
Last Edit: 21 Feb 2013 06:56 by Chris Marti.

Re: Not just a message board 21 Feb 2013 07:03 #9258

If I can just make a plug for donations:

If you read this site regularly, you could chuck in a couple of bucks (literally) a couple times a year. If you post regularly, how about $10 or more a couple times a year, depending on your income? If everyone gives a little bit, it adds up to plenty. If everyone hopes someone else will make a donation, no one gives anything.

100 people who each give a dollar = $100.
100 people hoping someone else will do it = $0.
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds