If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New look, for now

Logo for website 04 Mar 2013 19:03 #9565

I like the simplicity especially when viewed on the home page of the site: www.awakenetwork.org. I'm a sucker for clean, maybe even sparse, design.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Logo for website 04 Mar 2013 19:07 #9567

I like it without the "dot org".

Logo for website 04 Mar 2013 19:10 #9568

Speaking of dot org, I'm about to purchase the domain "awakenetwork.com" which will resolve to this site, too, once it's firmly in hand. So, yeah, we may want to drop the "dot org" part.

Logo for website 05 Mar 2013 14:50 #9597

Yes, my text is intended to be quick-and-dirty but at least a little bit decorative. The font I am using is Google's "Merienda One" web font. And my 0.02...not a huge fan of lotus flowers, or other new age imagery.
Last Edit: 05 Mar 2013 14:51 by Tom Otvos.

Logo for website 05 Mar 2013 14:55 #9598

I'm that way, too - new age looking stuff isn't my thing, I guess.

New logo, or not? 05 Mar 2013 16:36 #9602

Thank you to Ona, Kate Gowen, andy, and Mike Ramos for your appreciation of the work put into producing a unique logo for the site (as requested by Tom near the beginning of this thread).

Thanks Tom for getting back to me about the text/font. I have added it to the image I produced, but it seems pointless uploading it if you guys are still pondering if you would like a logo or not. Personally, I enjoyed creating the logo. Since there was no creative process to ascertain your needs or preferences, I wouldn't be surprised if what I've produced is way off mark. If it helps you define what you want and inspires someone to create something better, then great! I DO mean that. I've no apprehensions this initial attempt is anything more than to get the ball rolling...

However, I do think (as a minor consideration) you maybe want to make a firm decision on whether you would like a logo or not - before someone else picks this up and spends a day (or more) producing something? Chris has made his views clear... so is that the decision for the group?

Metta
:-)

New logo, or not? 05 Mar 2013 17:21 #9603

The problem is that there is no process that has been articulated that we can use to decide things like this. Maybe, Tom, we can put it to a vote by using the polling capabilities of the site. I've expressed an opinion or two but have no expectations that my opinion should be the deciding factor. Here are the polling choices I would offer up that we might vote on:

1. Use Colin's logo
2. Ask for more logo options, which Colin and others can produce if they want
3. Skip the logo and go with Tom's idea - a web font but more decorative
4. Stay with what we have now
Last Edit: 05 Mar 2013 17:26 by Chris Marti.

New look, for now 05 Mar 2013 17:42 #9604

I hadn't wanted to get too formalized on this, and I certainly don't want anyone to spend days on something unless they really wanted to. I figured we could just do something ad hoc in the forum as time permitted. Personal tastes being what they are, there will almost certainly never be universal appeal so when a decision comes, it will be somewhat autocratically made, heavily influenced by the opinions here.

If someone did want to spend some time (and I really do appreciate the effort, Colin), I personally am highly motivated to keep things tight, simple and, as a result, fast. I am also quite allergic to iconography that seems to pervade Buddhist sites (and I fear I stated that a bit too tersely earlier). Perhaps the "logo" is merely an icon, and then we can dick around with the font separately. Or, we nix the icon, just change the font, and move the subtitle to alongside the title to tighten the header.

So, I'll put up a poll to see if/what we want generally, and see where that takes us.

New look, for now 06 Mar 2013 04:00 #9611

Hiya

Thanks for acknowledging I put some work into the logo, Tom. I know it might not seem like it, since I chose one of the most ancient symbols for awakening, yet haven't been around New Age sites enough to develop an aversion to it (or iconography in general).

I am very pleased my initial attempt has done it's job!
In that it has galvanised people into making decisions about what you 'do not want'. This at least gives any future graphic designer a heads-up on some of your criteria. B)

My apologies for dragging this out of you by confronting you with a design. Seems I have a blind-spot when it comes to dana requests, especially if it involves me enjoying myself doing a bit of research and tinkering with design :woohoo:

BTW, Tom, although you said the text for the header was done "quick-and-dirty", you obviously have an eye for colour, proportion and aesthetics, as your choice of text/font and colours are just right, and (as an ex graphic design consultant) I can appreciate that behind the 'simplicity' is a touch of creative inspiration.

:cheer:
Last Edit: 06 Mar 2013 04:10 by Colin. Reason: changed "creative genius" to "creative inspiration" since the former could be taken the wrong way. :-)

New look, for now 06 Mar 2013 04:28 #9612

I like(d) having the awakenetwork word in the larger (current) size, and the secondary text (discussing...) below it or smaller and in different color. I also liked Colin's use of two tones to highlight the words "awake" "network" in the main name.

Tom, thanks for rephrasing your dislike of overused Buddhist logos. :)

New look, for now 06 Mar 2013 08:52 #9617

Ona, do you mean like this?

Although I prefer there being a two-tone effect to separate the two words, as Ona suggests also, I appreciate that any graphic image will have an effect on site loading times (however marginal), and it is a bit harder to do this via CSS code.

New look, for now 06 Mar 2013 09:59 #9619

Thanks again, Colin. It is easy to do in CSS as well (as you can see in the current header), so really it comes down to a load of the font or a load of the image although of course with an image you have finer control of kerning and stuff like that.

New look, for now 06 Mar 2013 10:32 #9621

Looks awesome now. Lean and mean.

New look, for now 06 Mar 2013 12:09 #9622

Tom Otvos wrote:
Thanks again, Colin. It is easy to do in CSS as well (as you can see in the current header), so really it comes down to a load of the font or a load of the image although of course with an image you have finer control of kerning and stuff like that.
Thanks Tom. That looks excellent. :-D

The only thing I've thought of mentioning, and now seems a good time, is the grey of the tagline.

It does look smart, and modern. My only concern is for those who's eyes are not as sharp as they used to be, who may find the contrast of grey on grey a little difficult to read. My suggestion is simply to make the tagline a darker grey - the same grey as the tabs - which would alleviate the 'contrast' problem and also help (maybe) to harmonise the colour scheme with the template. What do you think?

New look, for now 11 Mar 2013 14:01 #9769

NOOOOOO! I hate the new color scheme. There are no longer clear dark bars separating the titles and section headings, and the vivid blue text hurts my eyes, and the background is all smudgy. Put it baaaaack!!!!! :D

AND the word "NEW" that appears when there's a new post on a thread seems smaller than ever and is no longer a different color.
Last Edit: 11 Mar 2013 14:02 by Ona Kiser.

New look, for now 11 Mar 2013 14:10 #9770

The blue of the thread titles might be easier on the eyes if it matched the blue in the logo..

The flags which show which threads we've posted to are now even harder to see. Overall I like the new look, however! Thanks.

New look, for now 11 Mar 2013 14:13 #9772

Sorry, just trying a few things. Thanks for the swift feedback!

New look, for now 11 Mar 2013 14:29 #9773

I was being fake-hysterical for fun, but I do really like this calm and clear version better.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds