If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Screen Names & Continuity

Screen Names & Continuity 04 Apr 2013 18:46 #10677

In my experience as a message board admin there are few things more confusing than the slippery slope of allowing the changing poster names. While that is possible at the moment here on AN (an error on my part, frankly), we're going to shut that option off. The reason is that folks get to know each other as "Chris" or "Ona" or "Kate" and the ability to change screen names at will has the effect of disrupting the continuity of our discussions, let alone being confusing. Since the objective here is to talk to each other, learn from each other, and support each other in our meditation practice and continuity of names supports that end, we're not going to allow name changes. I hope this makes sense to you. I've been a participant and an admin on message boards where folks were allowed to both register multiple screen names and change existing screen names and little continuity and very little real communication took place on those boards. That's just not what we want to have happen here.

Changing your avatar or icon image will still be allowed.

Thanks, and please feel free to weigh in with comments or questions.
The topic has been locked.

Screen Names & Continuity 04 Apr 2013 19:02 #10678

I think I agree. Perhaps with a special exception if someone originally comes in with a screen name (like dharmadude) and maybe some months later decides he's comfortable enough or wants to switch to just using "Joe Smith" instead, he could request the change via the moderators. That sort of occasional exception. I know on KFD I started out with "girasol," and after a long while wished I'd just said "Ona Kiser" but it was too complicated to bother changing.

Screen Names & Continuity 04 Apr 2013 20:21 #10682

How about an option where a user can request a changed screen name in some circumstances? There may be good reasons why someone may want or need to do that. Perhaps it ought to be incumbent upon the user to then sign their posts with the old name for a short while to help avoid confusion. At any rate I think those who read this board regularly would quickly figure out who is who. In my case I wish to move toward more anonymity because I'm just not comfortable with someone Googling me and discovering my "religious affiliation".

Count me in support of a more flexible approach.

Mike
Last Edit: 04 Apr 2013 20:21 by Shoshin.

Screen Names & Continuity 04 Apr 2013 20:35 #10683

I understand the anonymity issue and user requests will be granted as long as they're not too frequent on a user by user basis.

Screen Names & Continuity 04 Apr 2013 22:25 #10685

All good - reduces confusion.

Screen Names & Continuity 04 Apr 2013 22:30 #10687

I have been manifested!

I can certainly handle special requests, especially if the original name was dorky or mistyped. As to anonymity, presumably someone sensitive to that would have probably opted to not enter their name in the first place. But again, special requests can be handled by admins.

Unfortunately, I have to hack the site code to disable that field and I am spent with my kid's hockey game (went to THREE overtime periods) so it will have to wait until the morning. So you have until then to do what you want.

Screen Names & Continuity 05 Apr 2013 10:01 #10694

Your site HGA has now disabled editing of your screen name. If for some reason you wish to change your name, submit your plea to a site administrator.

Screen Names & Continuity 05 Apr 2013 10:11 #10695

So what we now have, I hope, is name continuity with some flexibility.

Thanks, Tom.
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds