Can't switch Recent Topics out of 24 hr. mode

More
10 years 11 months ago #11043 by Andy
When I choose a different time period from the dropdown, the page refreshes and resets the range back to 24 hours. It doesn't seem to matter which range I choose. All I ever get is 24 hours. The All Topics selection still seems to work correctly.

See this screen recording: screencast.com/t/9pcojcwEF

Is there a trick to this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #11044 by Chris Marti
Andy, I watched your screen video and yeah, that's not good.

It does not happen to me, however. I seem to be able to switch to "month" and then it stays on month, even if I refresh the page, until I logon the next session, then it goes back to the default of 24 hours.

Is anyone else having the trouble Andy is having?

More
10 years 11 months ago #11045 by Tom Otvos
If you go to "Recent Topics" from the "Discuss" link in the top nav, then yes, you could have troubles. But if you click on "Recent Topics" once in the forum, and then try and change the timeframe, it will stick. I have tried to fix that a number of ways, but haven't figured it out yet.

FYI, this has nothing to do with the 24 hour mode at all, it was always there. I guess I am forcing people to bump into it now. That is why I added the "All Topics" tab too.

-- tomo

More
10 years 11 months ago #11046 by Chris Marti
Hmmm....

When I visit I come to the "Recent Topics" page directly, so maybe that's why I'm not having it happen to me.

More
10 years 11 months ago #11047 by Ona Kiser

Tom Otvos wrote: If you go to "Recent Topics" from the "Discuss" link in the top nav, then yes, you could have troubles. But if you click on "Recent Topics" once in the forum, and then try and change the timeframe, it will stick. I have tried to fix that a number of ways, but haven't figured it out yet.

That's my experience. I always use Recent Topics, instead of Discuss, so I never noticed. But if I do what you describe Tom, I get the same results.

More
10 years 11 months ago #11049 by Andy
I was, in fact, clicking on Discuss and then immediately trying to change it to 48 hrs.

Here's something interesting:
  1. After clicking on Discuss once, and changing the range to 48 hrs, I closed the browser tab for AwakeNetwork.
  2. I then started again at the front page, clicked on Discuss, and found myself once again on RecentTopics.
However, this time, the range was set to 48 hrs, and I couldn't switch it out of that! It almost sounds like a feature to me.

More
10 years 11 months ago #11050 by Tom Otvos
I could change the "Discuss" to link to the forum index, but that would be far less useful to me, and others I think. If we all agree what the "sweet spot" is for the meaning of recent, then we can deke around the issue somewhat.

-- tomo

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #11051 by Chris Marti
I like the "Discuss" link as it's presently set up, just as I like the "Recent Topics" link. I'm not concerned about the recent posts time frame issue (24 hours, 48 hours, a week, a month) because I'm in here so often that the issue is moot. I'll go along with whatever you all decide.
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by Chris Marti.

More
10 years 11 months ago #11052 by Tom Otvos
Just so everyone knows my thinking (as I too am here a lot), the smaller time window allows me to focus on what is changing more easily, in addition to the green "x new" link, which seems to sometimes be wrong. I don't like to have to wade through long lists, and so recent should...recent. As Rod discovered, you can change it and it should remember your preference, although I am not sure if it persists across login sessions. But for those that like big lists, there is the "All Topics".

-- tomo