If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Moving Here from the Lefora Site

Moving Here from the Lefora Site 25 Apr 2012 10:16 #6559

For about a week now I've been having trouble connecting to this site. This is happening from multiple locations (I travel and access this site from lots of places).

Symptoms:

1. Very slow to connect from any browser (Safari, Firefox, Chrome)
2. Connection timeout with a 502 error (Bad Gateway)

Is anyone else having this problem?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Moving Here from the Lefora Site 25 Apr 2012 13:08 #6560

exactly. intermittent since weekend at least

Moving Here from the Lefora Site 25 Apr 2012 17:36 #6561

Same problem here.

Moving Here from the Lefora Site 25 Apr 2012 21:42 #6562

just got my first 502 error. definitely looks like a server issue on lefora's side.

Moving Here from the Lefora Site 26 Apr 2012 01:55 #6563

I have not had 502's but have numerous times just blocked waiting for the page to load. It has been happening for a week or two.

Moving Here from the Lefora Site 26 Apr 2012 02:00 #6564

The founder at Lefora, someone with the handle "chief," says this:

Forum slowdown issues
#0, by chief, 21 April 2012 01:15 AM

The network is currently experiencing some slowness issues. The engineers have been alerted of the issue and are working on a solution.

Pardon the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Moving Here from the Lefora Site 30 Apr 2012 12:52 #6565

Just had a 502 this morning.

Moving Here from the Lefora Site 02 May 2012 12:34 #6566

Lefora.com, and then of course this site, were down this morning, just came back up.

Moving Here from the Lefora Site 02 May 2012 13:35 #6567

If I'm not mistaken we've lost yesterday's posts (such as Jackson's about his professor and the ensuing comments). Or am I just crazy?

Never mind - I'm just crazy. I dug around and found the stuff I thought was missing.

Moving Here from the Lefora Site 02 May 2012 17:17 #6568

@ona: You're right in the sense that the "Recent Posts" section on the front page has not been updated.

Moving Here from the Lefora Site 02 May 2012 17:43 #6569

Yep.

Welcome to free message board software. We come to depend on them and they fuck up and fix it however they want.

Moving Here from the Lefora Site 02 May 2012 18:56 #6570

Deleting and re-installing the recent posts section has no effect on it being updated ;-(

Moving Here from the Lefora Site 22 Jul 2012 10:34 #6847

We're completely moved now, and though we lost a few threads in the process we're permanently here. I'd like to hear from you guys now. How are you adapting to this site? Do you have any suggestions or just comments for us to process? This site has some serious horsepower behind if technology-wise, and it's got huge growth potential.

Awakenetwork.org is meant to house many forums like ours, but we're the first. We this have some sway over how the overall site is organized, how it works for everyone and especially for us as a "sangha" on the larger super site.

So, what say you?
Last Edit: 22 Jul 2012 10:35 by Chris Marti.

Re: Moving Here from the Lefora Site 22 Jul 2012 13:49 #6857

Chris, the only thing I'm not thrilled about so far are the Karma + and - buttons. Since our forum is members-only, they don't pose a huge problem. Still, I think they're unnecessary. If others feel the same, maybe we can remove them. Thoughts?

Re: Moving Here from the Lefora Site 22 Jul 2012 14:08 #6858

I am now more familiar with getting around, and it seems just peachy.

I agree the karma thing is cheesy and promotes a "who's better" theme which is best left out of a dharma forum.

I'd actually say the same for the indicators that show how long a person's been a member (and thus get called "bodhisattva" etc.) It makes sense to indicate if someone is a moderator or admin, but the "I've been here longer than you" ranking seems... I don't know. Just sort of wrong. I would like to judge people's contributions on the merits of those contributions alone, rather than a status indicator.

Re: Moving Here from the Lefora Site 22 Jul 2012 15:29 #6862

Good feedback. I agree with all of it, so I'll investigate how much control we have over those several rather immature things and see if we can rid ourselves of them.

Re: Moving Here from the Lefora Site 22 Jul 2012 15:35 #6863

Done - no more karma, no more rankings. You will still see the number of posts a member has made, however. I still need to find that switch if i can.
Last Edit: 22 Jul 2012 15:36 by Chris Marti.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackson
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds