If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: "community updates" stuff

"community updates" stuff 24 Sep 2013 15:58 #15056

So I noticed today that Tomer had posted a couple comments/questions which appeared on the right side of the screen in "Community Updates". Not recognizing the topics from any active thread, I clicked on his name, and discovered the comments were on his profile page. That's fine, but where/how are people to interact with such comments, such as replying to them? Or are such comments intended not to be interacted with?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

"community updates" stuff 24 Sep 2013 17:11 #15059

Ona, there is at least one link accompanying every update. The link may be to the author's profile page or to the topic on which the update (a comment) was posted. Click on the link and you will be taken to the page on which you can read or reply. I would await Tom's response here but I believe the Community Updates are meant to show us recent activity, new members joining, profile updates, avatar changes, and the like. Community update type stuff that folks might be interested in knowing.

"community updates" stuff 24 Sep 2013 20:37 #15066

If it appears on the Community Updates, it will appear in the Activity Stream (under "Share"). There you will have the opportunity to comment, in exactly the same was as on Facebook. Or, as you did, you can see the status post on a person's profile page, at which point you can click on "Reply" to...uh...reply. Your reply should appear in the Activity Stream as well.

I don't envision lengthy discussions taking place through stream comments, because we have the forum. But I totally see the value in quick updates or sharing of stuff that is meant to be passively consumed.

"community updates" stuff 30 Sep 2013 14:11 #15131

A usability question that arises out of this is: do people find value having the "Community Updates" module in the sidebar of the forum pages? The reason I ask is because, to be of value there (and not display redundant information), I have deliberately suppressed each forum update activity item that would normally go into the stream. However this forces people who are viewing the stream from "Share" to *also* look in "Recent Topics" to see what is up in the forum. The option is to not bother with "Community Updates" in the sidebar, and fully express the Activity Stream in "Share" to include forum updates. This makes it much more like Facebook, and gives people the option to simply watch the site from "Share".

Comments?

"community updates" stuff 30 Sep 2013 15:00 #15132

I never paid any attention to it until Tomer used the Share feature and posted some questions and comments. I prefer just focusing on Recent Topics myself. I've got enough going on. :D

"community updates" stuff 30 Sep 2013 15:20 #15134

Likewise, I do not pay any attention to the community updates area.

Anyone else?

"community updates" stuff 30 Sep 2013 15:51 #15136

Yep. Personally I feel like there's a lot of clutter on the site with the donation blurb, the boutique blurb, the reading list, the updates, the "tell us about yourself" blurb, the sticky nav, the chat room tab *and* the chat box...

"community updates" stuff 30 Sep 2013 16:04 #15138

Ditto; I'm a simple soul and a creature of habit.

"community updates" stuff 30 Sep 2013 16:10 #15139

Usually pressed for time, I check recent topics and all topics. I mentally blockout all the peripherals.

Keeping it simple with Kate and nadav.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurel Carrington

"community updates" stuff 30 Sep 2013 16:23 #15140

Does anyone ever look at this website from the "Share" view?

"community updates" stuff 30 Sep 2013 16:51 #15142

I don't

"community updates" stuff 30 Sep 2013 17:49 #15144

I just check recent topics, and I don't use share view.

"community updates" stuff 30 Sep 2013 17:52 #15145

I never use share view either. which doesn't mean it shouldn't exist. But i'm not the sort to be a power user of anything.

"community updates" stuff 30 Sep 2013 18:02 #15146

Can you answer this question --

When you visit here, which view do you immediately access? For example, my browser's bookmark for AN/DFRC is set to access the Recent Topics page, and after that I tend to use the "Discuss" view since the recently used topics all will have a green "new" in the topic list. What I'm interested in finding out is how much of our non-message board content is used. We have a lot of Facebook-like functionality but it seems it's not being used.

"community updates" stuff 30 Sep 2013 19:35 #15150

I only use recent discussions, and pretty much oblivious to the rest. It doesn't bother me, just doesn't register.

"community updates" stuff 30 Sep 2013 20:00 #15151

I type "awa" in my browser and the URL completes to recent discussions: awakenetwork.org/index.php/forum/recent. If I'm working on my computer I tend to leave it open in a tab and hit refresh on it now and then to see if anyone's posted something new. Usually the tab stays open for a few days or weeks, unless I have to restart the browser or computer.

That's really the only thing I do on this website (and it's completely satisfying and delightful that way).

"community updates" stuff 30 Sep 2013 20:38 #15153

It's bookmarked to come up at "recent topics" and I move around via "discuss"; once in a blue moon I remember to check messages...

I'm a low-no power user! Like a 3-speed bicyclist among motorcycle enthusiasts.

"community updates" stuff 30 Sep 2013 22:15 #15155

Based on the feedback, I am disabling "Community Updates" and making the Activity Stream under "Share" more useful to those that look at it. Clearly new users, such as Tomer, found it easily enough so I think it may grow in use as our members increase. To those that don't use it: carry on, nothing to see.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kate Gowen, Laurel Carrington

"community updates" stuff 30 Sep 2013 23:37 #15158

I too have "Recent Topics" bookmarked. The only time I go to a different page is when I'm trying to find my practice thread, so I click on "My Topics."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ona Kiser

"community updates" stuff 01 Oct 2013 09:36 #15162

Just for the record, "Recent Topics" is my bookmark too, and I try and keep my practice thread current so that it is always there! ;)

But I do wish that people would use "Share" a bit more. I know I cannot change habits, but that is my pet peeve. And speaking of peeves, anybody want to step up and write something for the magazine?

"community updates" stuff 04 Oct 2013 21:37 #15204

I'll write something, although now I must reveal my ignorance: What magazine?

"community updates" stuff 05 Oct 2013 13:32 #15208

In the very top menu bar it's called "Read" and you can find it here:

awakenetwork.org/magazine/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colleayn

"community updates" stuff 05 Oct 2013 16:01 #15209

Same here.

"community updates" stuff 05 Oct 2013 16:02 #15210

Whatever happened to the merger with DhO?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy

"community updates" stuff 05 Oct 2013 16:45 #15212

As far as I know, nothing happened. Tempest, meet teapot ;-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurel Carrington
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds