If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Poll: Should we use Medium?

Yes 8 61.5%
No No votes 0%
Don't care 5 38.5%
Total number of voters: 13 ( Benjie OK, Derek, Tom Otvos, Shaun Elstob, Timus ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC: The Medium is the Message

The Medium is the Message 08 Oct 2015 09:02 #100709

As some of you may know, I am a big fan of Medium, a publishing site that is (I think) a logical evolution of blogging. For a while now, I have been thinking about moving the magazine section of AwakeNetwork to Medium, but there have been technical hurdles. Those hurdles appear to be gone now, so the question now becomes: do we want to move the magazine to Medium? On the plus side, the writing interface is much nicer than what we have here, and the reading interface is even better. Additionally, since the magazine here is publicly-visible, having stuff be publicly visible on a HUGE site like Medium should increase readership of what you write substantially. On the negative side, the stuff you write won't be on our servers, so it cannot be taken down as easily. Medium clearly states that they do not own the content, you do, and so we *should* be able to delete stuff if we wished. But that puts some trust in them to keep doing the right thing which, depending on your perspective, is either well placed or not.

So, I am on the fence, and need to hear from you. I know the magazine is very lightly used, and the evil part of me is hoping that by moving to a more inviting authoring platform, some of you may end up writing a few more pieces. Or not.

But please note that regardless of what happens on this front, the forum part of AwakeNetwork will not change one bit.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kate Gowen

The Medium is the Message 08 Oct 2015 09:19 #100711

I currently don't use the magazine portion and am not exactly sure what you are referring to. So, given those observations could be good to move them to a more visible "medium." :D

The Medium is the Message 08 Oct 2015 12:54 #100713

If we were moving stuff over, I would actually pull my articles down. I don't think they are ready for prime time. Or rather, I don't think that I want them associated with me in their current shape. :(

The Medium is the Message 08 Oct 2015 14:40 #100715

Tom, aren't our articles are public already? Can we control who can access them on Medium?

The Medium is the Message 08 Oct 2015 15:11 #100716

Would it make sense to contact each author to see what they might want? Also, Bjorn's post lists his email address. He may want that removed.

The Medium is the Message 09 Oct 2015 10:39 #100722

Chris Marti wrote:
Tom, aren't our articles are public already? Can we control who can access them on Medium?

Yes, currently the magazine portion of AN is publicly visible, by design and intent. So there would be no change with respect to visibility, put potentially greatly expanded reach. Of course, they could just silently exist on Medium with few reading them, like my article on "card flipping". I can look into restricting visibility on Medium, but that would not be helpful from my perspective. If privacy is the overarching concern, then I am inclined to leave it status quo.

The Medium is the Message 09 Oct 2015 10:40 #100723

Jake Yeager wrote:
I currently don't use the magazine portion and am not exactly sure what you are referring to. So, given those observations could be good to move them to a more visible "medium." :D

Click on the "Read" link at the top of your page.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jake Yeager

The Medium is the Message 09 Oct 2015 12:45 #100725

I can look into restricting visibility on Medium, but that would not be helpful from my perspective. If privacy is the overarching concern, then I am inclined to leave it status quo.

Tom, I was only getting clarity on the curent situation. I agree - the articles should stay publicly available.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kate Gowen

The Medium is the Message 09 Oct 2015 13:38 #100728

Tom could you link to a few good Medium articles to get us excited about what is exciting in Medium? Regardless of what I said above, I have an open mind...
Last Edit: 09 Oct 2015 13:38 by shargrol.

The Medium is the Message 09 Oct 2015 16:29 #100731

More on Medium:

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Medium_(publishing_platform)

And here's a prominent publication on Medium:

medium.com/backchannel
Last Edit: 09 Oct 2015 16:31 by Chris Marti.

The Medium is the Message 09 Oct 2015 20:38 #100734

shargrol wrote:
Tom could you link to a few good Medium articles to get us excited about what is exciting in Medium? Regardless of what I said above, I have an open mind...

Here is a favourite of mine:

medium.com/@tomotvos/topsies-knock-downs...e-backs-ffa39989daf1

The Medium is the Message 09 Oct 2015 20:53 #100735

That's an awesome article, Tom. I had forgotten about those games. We invented something similar when decorative pencils (multi-colored, with cartoon imagery, etc.) became a fad (same time period). You would use a ball-point pen to make indentations on each facet of your hexagonal pencil. Then it served as a sort of die, and you would roll pencils with someone else. The pencil that stopped rolling with the highest number showing was the winner and that person got both pencils. Some people ended up with huge bundles of 100 or more colorful pencils. At which point it was banned as a form of gambling. Roll eyes.

Thanks for the memories.

The Medium is the Message 14 Oct 2015 14:41 #100806

I have no opinion on the move.

However, I did notice that the articles on "Medium" are generally chatty and breezy. My writing tends to come out boring and intellectual, no matter how much I try :lol:

The Medium is the Message 14 Oct 2015 14:57 #100807

Ugh, I sympathize completely! :)

The Medium is the Message 08 Dec 2015 15:30 #101560

Are you still enthusiastic about Medium, Tom? I gave it a try. I don't do Twitter or Facebook, and because they want to go password-free, I have to check my email for a link every time I log in, which is inconvenient. I have 2 views so far for my little article. Also, I noticed an article titled "Why I'm Leaving Medium — Loud Journal." According to that article, Medium is in danger of becoming "made up of just two groups: readers and personal brands." Maybe it has already peaked?

The Medium is the Message 08 Dec 2015 18:11 #101561

I am enthusiastic about Medium...on the fence regarding using Medium here. I am also frustrated by many of the Medium articles that are product announcements/endorsements, but there is still plenty for me to read there. I will check out the article you mention, though. Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Derek

The Medium is the Message 09 Dec 2015 14:31 #101580

I'm a heavy user of Medium, and I think there's space for AN there. Yes, Medium is very silicon-valley/product/buzzbuzzbuzz focused, but there's a strong contingent of readers that would like to see less commercial fluff and more writing of substance there. There's been a couple of articles that have made it to the front page about that issue, and it comes up now and then in the comments.

There's also *very* little content of worth that looks at meditation/contemplative practices beyond surface level pieces like "meditation made me better at work!"

Also, a lot of the silicon-valley type are very interested in meditation. See Tim Ferris' podcast - almost everyone he interviews from that world meditates in some way. So, it's likely that a lot of those very same silicon-valley types might search for articles on meditation on Medium... wouldn't it be nice if they stumbled across something with a bit more depth?
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds