If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Guru: Smart Meditation Timer is Free Tomorrow

Guru: Smart Meditation Timer is Free Tomorrow 21 Jan 2016 12:11 #102222

Hi Dharma friends! I've released version 1.0 of Guru: The Smart Meditation Timer on the iOS app store. Its the geekiest meditation timer ever - it tracks your mood and predicts how relaxed and present you'll be after meditating. This allows it to recommend how long to meditate based on your mood. I've been using it for the last number of weeks and it's really opened my eyes on how long and often I should practice (3x a day for 14 minutes for me).

Out of appreciation for this community, I'm making the app available for free tomorrow (Friday). Please download it and share any feedback you have with me. Thanks!

itunes.apple.com/us/app/apple-store/id10...ct=AwakeNetwork&mt=8
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike, neko

Guru: Smart Meditation Timer is Free Tomorrow 21 Jan 2016 12:18 #102223

Thank you, Justin. I'll be sure to check it out. Can you give some more details beyond the teaser in the app store? For example, what geeky bells and whistles does this provide? How are the mood assessments performed? Is there a log of sessions maintained, either in-app or (better) through the Health app?

Guru: Smart Meditation Timer is Free Tomorrow 21 Jan 2016 13:30 #102226

I've actually lobbied Apple a bit to include meditation sessions in Health, but as far as I know thats not happening yet. If that ever does open up I'll be putting the data in there for sure.

Right now the app tracks subjective levels of "anxious to relaxed" and "distracted to present". There are other measures that I could add in the future, but I felt these two were most relevant for most people initially.

Immediately before and after the meditation session you log your mood. Based on these reports, the machine learning engine starts drawing correlations to predict future moods based on length of meditation session. These predictions are displayed along with the level of uncertainty about those predictions, so you can decide how long you'd like to meditate.

In the future I'm also looking at showing predictions for various practices, so we can start to see if metta practice perhaps makes a person more relaxed faster than a kasini practice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom Otvos

Guru: Smart Meditation Timer is Free Tomorrow 22 Jan 2016 08:12 #102239

Justin...FYI, the app appears to only be available to US customers.

Guru: Smart Meditation Timer is Free Tomorrow 22 Jan 2016 10:57 #102242

Thats odd. I'm having people from all over the world install it successfully. Perhaps the Canadian app store is out of sync or something. I'll look into it. Thanks!

Guru: Smart Meditation Timer is Free Tomorrow 26 Jan 2016 02:26 #102275

Any plans for an Android version?

Guru: Smart Meditation Timer is Free Tomorrow 26 Jan 2016 10:02 #102281

If it is successful it's possible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: neko
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds