If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Intermittent outages

Intermittent outages 16 Aug 2017 07:25 #107546

Some of you have probably noticed errors on the site in the last day or so. There seems to be a persistent hacking going on right now, which I am trying to defend against as best I can. It is problematic because the infrastructure of the site needs to be updated but, at this stage, the update is a pretty major one. Thus the periodic musings about "what should AN look like". Anyhow, my point is that if you see the site is offline for more than a few minutes, and I have not announced that it will be offline, send me a message please.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: every3rdthought, cedric reeves

Intermittent outages 16 Aug 2017 10:20 #107551

Thanks for all of your work defending us, Tom!

This may be a much larger conversation, but what would have to change with a major upgrade? Is there a site we can look at for an example, maybe?

Intermittent outages 16 Aug 2017 10:43 #107552

I got some dough to help with an upgrade.

What are the considerations?
The following user(s) said Thank You: cedric reeves

Intermittent outages 17 Aug 2017 07:55 #107560

When I first read this topic header I thought, "Oh, there's another discussion about cessations."

:P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy, Laurel Carrington

Intermittent outages 17 Aug 2017 13:19 #107563

Same here

Intermittent outages 17 Aug 2017 21:20 #107564

Chris Marti wrote:
When I first read this topic header I thought, "Oh, there's another discussion about cessations."

:P

I wish!

Intermittent outages 17 Aug 2017 21:22 #107565

matthew sexton wrote:
I got some dough to help with an upgrade.

What are the considerations?

It is less of a dollar thing and more of an effort thing. That, plus the ever controversial discussion of what a new AN should look like. Although the immediate issues are merely time and effort.

Intermittent outages 18 Aug 2017 06:55 #107570

Is there an "upgrade to better security but not change much" option?
The following user(s) said Thank You: every3rdthought

Intermittent outages 19 Aug 2017 01:16 #107579

Hey mate, thought I better leave a heads-up just in case - I just logged onto the recent posts menu and was redirected to the Google update scam page after a few seconds. My Bitdefender caught it straightaway. Not sure if this is a site issue, or something my end?

Intermittent outages 19 Aug 2017 08:23 #107580

Tom Otvos wrote:
It is less of a dollar thing and more of an effort thing. That, plus the ever controversial discussion of what a new AN should look like. Although the immediate issues are merely time and effort.

Is it possible to secure the site with a small amount of effort? I guess a Joomla based site requires quite a lot of effort to keep updated :-( I recently created a forum using Discourse. It's free software and I only pay $10 a month in hosting fees for it, and you can update it with one click. That said, it's quite different to this forum, and would require people to adjust a little (although not that much).

If people are attempting to hack, I guess security is the most pressing. Looks can be decided upon later :)

Let me know if I can assist. I'm a web dev by trade.
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds