If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Privacy and GDPR

Privacy and GDPR 25 May 2018 10:49 #109046

In light of the recent "go-live" of the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) in the EU on May 25, 2018, you have no doubt been inundated with emails from various service providers and their updated "terms of service". I should do that too but, frankly, I don't have the cycles. And looking at our current terms, I think they are reasonably clear. But in the interest of full disclosure, let me say this about that.

First, AwakeNetwork does not actively collect personal data about you except what you freely enter into your profile at the time of registration, or afterwards. In terms of personally identifiable information (PII), the major things are your name (which may be your real name), your general location in the world, and your email address. Also, because of the way this site works, your IP address is saved in logs. The latter has proved immensely useful in blocking the incessant hacking attempts, and I don't plan to turn that off.

Second, I have not, nor will I ever, share the information saved in databases and logs. That is the whole point of AwakeNetwork vs. Facebook or Google+: the site and data are privately held, and will remain so. You should know that your email address and IP address are not stored in an encrypted form, but your password is. There is a single "tracker" associated with this site, and that is to provide usage and session data to Google Analytics for consumption by AwakeNetwork only. There is no way to opt out of this tracking, but you can use browsers or browser extensions that block that if you wish.

Third, you are free to delete your profile at any time you feel uncomfortable about what is collected here. Normally, that deactivates your account but stuff you have posted remains around for other people's benefit. Upon request, I can and will delete your entire existence on AwakeNetwork. I do not currently have an easy way to export that information, but can do so upon special request.

It is my hope that being transparent with what is and isn't being done with data collected by AwakeNetwork will avoid having to go to extreme measures is sufficient for the members here. I continue to value your participation in this site, as well as continue to hope that it provides value to your practice. If you have any questions or comments, please reply below, or contact me privately.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Marti, shargrol, Andy, Jim, matthew sexton, Noah, Michael V
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds