If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Blog

Blog 06 Jun 2018 14:01 #109118

Here is the most recent addition to my blog.

wordpress.com/post/lightgettingin-wp.com/232
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol, Antero, Michael V

Blog 06 Jun 2018 15:56 #109119

Couldn't read the post -- just a white screen. I tried a few different browsers, too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol

Blog 06 Jun 2018 16:02 #109120

The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol, Michael V

Blog 06 Jun 2018 18:19 #109121

Chris, what would I do without you?

Blog 08 Jun 2018 05:51 #109133

Laurel, your writing "voice" is so solid and honest -- I don't think I've ever read anyone writing about these kinds of subjects so directly and objectively, it's fascinating and disconcerting and powerful, yet honest and simple --- as you can see, I really don't even have my words for how I can describe their impact on me as I'm reading, but it's really good stuff. Thank you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Marti, Andy, Laurel Carrington, Michael V

Blog 08 Jun 2018 15:40 #109143

Wow, Shargrol. Thanks for all of that. I will keep going.

Blog 23 Jun 2018 11:42 #109256

My latest post, on the Brahmaviharas. It took me forever to get written, and is long compared to the others. I will be giving a dharma talk on this topic in September at my town’s sangha, where I can elaborate on what’s here, so this is a bit of a dry run.

lightgettingin-wp.com/2018/06/23/the-four-divine-abidings/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Marti, Kacchapa, matthew sexton

Blog 06 Jul 2018 12:00 #109296

A new post on my first encounter with Buddhist Geeks, Kenneth Folk, and MCTB.

lightgettingin-wp.com/2018/07/06/twitter...and-geeky-buddhists/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Marti, shargrol

Blog 06 Jul 2018 23:53 #109307

lightgettingin-wp.com/2018/07/07/turning-point/

Right on the heels of the last post, I have yet another one, describing exactly what prompted me to start meditating. Enjoy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Marti, shargrol, Michael V

Blog 07 Jul 2018 09:19 #109308

Interesting how much desperation figures into so many of our initial forays into meditation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol, Laurel Carrington

Blog 10 Jul 2018 19:58 #109319

And here we have yet another blog post, on pragmatic dharma.

lightgettingin-wp.com/2018/07/10/pragmatic-dharma/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Philip, Michael V

Blog 14 Jul 2018 16:11 #109328

The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael V

Blog 16 Jul 2018 15:49 #109335

I enjoyed this overview, Laurel. Sila has become a more deliberate consideration of mine in the last month or so. I appreciate getting a clearer view of how I'm creating suffering/disturbances that subtly detract from the cultivation of concentration and wisdom, and so I take a broader view of some of the "five trainings" for the purpose of making them more useful.

Along those lines, what do you think of the translation/interpretation of the third precept as concerning excessive or inappropriate sensuality? Call me too Catholic, but with that precept I always think of the "Sermon on the Mount" where the law is extended to the precipitating actions -- stop committing adultery in your mind before you follow through, etc. It seems like useful mind training to notice when you're placing your attention on stuff that you know very well isn't wholesome and may increase suffering, but that also sounds like a potential source of counterproductive guilt and could lead to the wrong view of transitory mind-content in general.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurel Carrington

Blog 16 Jul 2018 18:52 #109337

Certainly! A momentary flash of desire is no problem if you don’t make a big issue out of it, because such feelings can occur without volition, as an act of nature. If however you develop a case of erotic melancholy (love that term!) and it becomes preoccupying, you need to see it for what it is and stop feeding it. I remember having a crush on a youngish Episcopal priest when I was in my late 30s, and it evolved alarmingly because I didn’t see it for what it was. We had lunch together (pastoral care—hahaha) and gazed into each other’s eyes while talking about my great sensitivity and awareness, and I floated home to my familiar husband, who knows every stupid thing about me, and then daydreamed about this other guy, talked on the phone with him (my husband said I was purring) and journaled about him, rereading my love language over and over. :sick: Then a perceptive friend in whom I confided told me to knock it off. No more meetings, no more phone calls, get over myself, and so on. I did as she said, and got my brain back. It helped when I had lunch later on in a group and the desired one behaved like a pompous ass, and the spell was broken.
Last Edit: 16 Jul 2018 18:53 by Laurel Carrington.
The following user(s) said Thank You: matthew sexton, Michael V

Blog 01 Aug 2018 12:25 #109428

Newest blogpost, about beginning my practice.

lightgettingin-wp.com/2018/08/01/i-get-my-feet-wet/
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds