If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Awakenetwork Participation

Awakenwtwork Participation 30 Jul 2018 18:53 #109384

Hey, friends and fellow meditators. We need to participate more here to make sure Tom doesn't quit on us ;-)

Let's do this, okay?
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom Otvos, Laurel Carrington, Michael V, Ranger

Awakenwtwork Participation 30 Jul 2018 19:48 #109391

This may be germane only to me, but Awakenetwork is part of the history of pragmatic dharma online. It would be very sad to see it go due to the lack of message board traffic. Maybe it can't be saved but it's worth a try to save it. There are a number of people who used to be active here, at KFD and on DhO who I suspect could post here regularly - I see them elsewhere posting. I won't call any of them out by name if they just get a little more active here.

That, and I'd like to see someone else's name on the "Recent Topics" list.

:P

Awakenwtwork Participation 30 Jul 2018 19:50 #109392

Another thing - could it be that getting rid of the "Thank You" button would prompt people to post something as opposed to clicking on that button and leaving without typing something?

Just a thought...

:evil:
Last Edit: 30 Jul 2018 19:52 by Chris Marti.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy, Tina, Junglist, Ranger

Awakenwtwork Participation 30 Jul 2018 20:20 #109394

Chris Marti wrote:
Another thing - could it be that getting rid of the "Thank You" button would prompt people to post something as opposed to clicking on that button and leaving without typing something?

Just a thought...

I'm just posting this to point out that I deliberately didn't thank you for this idea.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurel Carrington, Ranger

Awakenwtwork Participation 31 Jul 2018 06:55 #109401

I think I'm having the "peak summer" feeling of how pretty soon everything is going to wither into seed... I've been really debating my online presence and I've been pondering the idea of "writing an essay about practice, leaving an email for people to contact me, and then spending less time on the boards".

But like the rest of life, I'll just go with the flow, who knows where it will lead. Awakenetwork the number one place for practice advice and friendly banter... or Awakenetwork, the fossil history of a bunch of annoying meditators... who knows?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ranger

Awakenwtwork Participation 31 Jul 2018 07:23 #109402

"writing an essay about practice, leaving an email for people to contact me, and then spending less time on the boards".

I recognize that as the "Hokai Sobol" Gambit :P

Seriously, though, who among us hasn't pondered something similar?
Last Edit: 31 Jul 2018 08:47 by Chris Marti.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol, Ranger

Awakenwtwork Participation 31 Jul 2018 08:29 #109404

:) !

He is one of my mentors after all...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ranger

Awakenwtwork Participation 31 Jul 2018 11:45 #109406

Chris Marti wrote:

Just a thought...

...could not resist hitting the Thank You button on your quoted message, Chris.

Honestly, though, it's pretty easy to click and continue on. Maybe there's something to that idea.

As for me, not posting much has a lot to do with no longer feeling a need to post, not having much to say most of the time, no longer needing to get my opinion out there. It also has some to do with the fact that once I get home, I pretty much unplug.

Awakenwtwork Participation 31 Jul 2018 14:01 #109407

Chris Marti wrote:
"writing an essay about practice, leaving an email for people to contact me, and then spending less time on the boards".

I recognize that as the "Hokai Sobol" Gambit :P

Seriously, though, who among us hasn't pondered something similar?

I am experiencing some aversions to this line of conversation. I am taking/experiencing them fully and sending the feeling of appreciation and gratitude into the interwebz. Hopefully it will magically manipulate the two of you into staying on the boards. OK, I might be spiritually bypassing with my tonglen practice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol

Awakenwtwork Participation 31 Jul 2018 14:40 #109408

Here is my take on lack of participation (speaking as someone who, clearly, does not participate).

First, for practitioners, it takes a lot of EFFORT to chronicle your practice. Daily sitting journals require work to remember, work to write down, and I don't discount that journalling also affects the practice while practicing ("I need to remember what happened next so I can post it"). I just don't feel that is sustainable, and the natural tendency seems to be to taper off.

Second, progress for most is seemingly very, very slow. Daily journals when changes are measured in months or longer doesn't make sense for most people. Even in the heady KFD days, some people went like rockets, but most (I think) did not. The difference here is that we have a smaller pool of practitioners to begin with, so the rockets aren't here.

Third, there are mentors here that are very (very!) generous with their time and advice. But there are many times when all you can say is "atta boy/girl, just keep going". While that is valuable to hear, especially when the practitioner may be DN'ing, sometimes the "Thank you" button is about all you can say.

Just looking at DhO and there are really only about a dozen active threads in the last two days. More than here, but I think that it, too, has seen a decline in participation. It might get a bump with the new MCTB, but then again, so may we. I field a bunch of new membership requests each week, but very, very few post anything, even a "Welcome". Maybe that is because there is not a lot to see. Dunno.

Riffing and rambling...feel free to ignore.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol, Michael V

Awakenwtwork Participation 31 Jul 2018 16:34 #109409

"writing an essay about practice, leaving an email for people to contact me, and then spending less time on the boards"
Noooooooooooo!!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol, Michael V

Awakenwtwork Participation 31 Jul 2018 16:46 #109410

More seriously, to add to Tom's comment, one of the problems with journaling is that actually writing it can seem very repetitive when nothing much is happening, which is most of the time, so I have a tendency to just write very cursory notes, which are probably not very interesting.

Also, and this is probably just me the more I learn about the path the less I feel inclined to comment because I feel my ignorance more.

So ok, perhaps I should just post and not over think it.

I'm rambling too I think. :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol, Laurel Carrington, Michael V

Awakenwtwork Participation 01 Aug 2018 08:26 #109412

Tom, what are your plans for Awakenetwork's future? Do you need financial support?

Awakenwtwork Participation 01 Aug 2018 08:56 #109419

Hmmm.... Maybe it's because I'm in a funky mood this morning but it does make sense to take a break from the message boards, doesn't it? I mean, c'mon, right?

Awakenwtwork Participation 01 Aug 2018 09:00 #109420

Well, if you're worried that nobody is participating and everyone takes a break then will anyone come back. I mean I quite often feel I'm whistling in the dark with my thread and if the big guns clear off then I'll know it for a fact.

What would you like to happen with AN Chris?

Awakenwtwork Participation 01 Aug 2018 09:15 #109421

I would love to see AN to become what the original vision for it was - a place where mature, serious meditation practitioners gather online to discuss their practice, yes, but also all the surrounding issues in religion, science, philosophy, and so on. Alas, we simply don't have a large enough audience to sustain that, and all but a very few of our original participants have left for what are no doubt good reasons as they view them.

But what I want it to be is less important than what you all want it to be. I'm just one voice who probably posts too much as it is.

Awakenwtwork Participation 01 Aug 2018 09:37 #109422

Philip wrote:
More seriously, to add to Tom's comment, one of the problems with journaling is that actually writing it can seem very repetitive when nothing much is happening, which is most of the time, so I have a tendency to just write very cursory notes, which are probably not very interesting.

Also, and this is probably just me the more I learn about the path the less I feel inclined to comment because I feel my ignorance more.

So ok, perhaps I should just post and not over think it.

I'm rambling too I think. :lol:

I agree about the repetitiveness. I sit every day, and I journal (on paper) every sit in four sentences - what's going on leading up to the sit, and what is my intention for the session. I then sit and afterward I note down how the sit went, and then what things are like after the sit. It's rarely interesting to look back a week or a month. It's more interesting to look through the notes from a three or four years back.

As for ignorance, my own ignorance has often seemed starkly evident to me. I've started many a post, waited an hour or a day or two, and then abandoned. Sometimes, it was because some different aspect of the topic revealed itself, sometimes I've looked at the post and though, "Man, what do I really know about that?" Other times, it stopped being relevant to me. Often, what seems important one day turns out to be clearly not in a couple more days. Sometimes, I've looked at some previous post and wondered, "What was going on for me when I wrote that?!?"

I'm probably overthinking things as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol, Michael V, Ranger

Awakenwtwork Participation 01 Aug 2018 12:03 #109425

Just for the record (I'm not trying to persuade anybody of anything): I'm grateful for this board, never cared about the modest amount of traffic, sometimes liked that quality, and found a great deal of inspiration and assistance during my relatively brief time journaling here. But I wouldn't blame Tom or anybody else for deciding it wasn't worth their time.

Also, is it just me, or can it sometimes feel like there's a bit too much to sift through on the DhO, and usually way too much on the SE reddit? Not a criticism, just an impression.

Awakenwtwork Participation 01 Aug 2018 12:05 #109426

I’ve had a lot that I’m trying to come to terms with, and for awhile practice has taken a back seat. Now I feel like Sisyphus pushing the rock back up the hill. A lot of my updates over the past two years have been kvetching about the same bloody things over and over: my health, my stalled practice, my distraction, etc. I feel as if I am a very poor example to beginning meditators. However, some things are beginning to turn around, and I am contemplating a new post to that effect. Whatever my state, it is important for all meditators to know the truth: that people vary a great deal, it’s not all roses on the other side of 4th, and people who once went like rockets can stall out for awhile before moving forward again.

Then there’s my blog, which has helped me make sense of my path. I have put more of my writing energy into that lately, but at this point I’ve arrived at the practice stuff, which will be potentially of greater value to people here than older childhood and adolescent stuff. I’ve also been trying to initiate some threads here related to people I’ve been reading. As for commenting on other threads: my habitual perfectionism has made me reluctant to say anything if I haven’t read the person’s entire history, and/or have absolute confidence that what I have to say is valuable. Perhaps it’s time to get over myself and dive in.

I don’t want this place to die. I think the feedback loop is tremendously important, and more of us need to step up and contribute. People may feel that journaling their sits is weird, but I would encourage them to keep doing it. I’m not at all surprised that Shargrol is getting worn out, seeing as he’s been doing so much heavy lifting around here and on DhO. Often I’ll read his posts, nod, and think, there’s nothing for me to add to what he’s said. Which is not to say Shargrol should stop posting, only that I should get in there too, to let newer people know I’m interested in them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol, Michael V, Ranger, SigmaTropic

Awakenwtwork Participation 01 Aug 2018 12:20 #109427

By the way, a little while ago, Chris, you asked about some of the old-timers like Russell and Ona. Russell is on Facebook and he posts periodically about his family (with pictures, which I enjoy seeing). I don’t know whether he’s practicing any more or not. I am also friends with MuMuWu (Jayson), who got married a little over a year ago and looks very happy. Justin Chapweske (Orasis) is on Twitter, which is where I see Kenneth and Michael Taft as well. Ona is completely gone from the web: her FB page is wiped, her blog is gone, everything. She has always had a pull towards a more monastic kind of life, and last I heard was actively involved with some nuns near where she lives. Some other people have drifted away from anything related to pragmatic dharma.

I think it’s up to us now! I have been sifting through Noah’s stuff lately, and getting a lot out of it both here and on DhO. For a long while I was intimidated because he went like one of the fastest rockets I’d ever seen, and then continued with the intensity post-4th while I was looking around with my mouth hanging open for the longest damn time. But I have gotten over myself and am now beginning to get a sense of what he’s working on.

Awakenwtwork Participation 01 Aug 2018 14:31 #109432

Laurel, I think social media, Facebook & Twitter mainly, are the places that folks now gravitate to when they need their online fix. That includes a lot of former DhO and AN participants. Maybe we're the dinosaurs of the pragmatic dharma online world.

:P

Awakenwtwork Participation 01 Aug 2018 19:48 #109435

Has someone seen my floppy disk? I had 1.44MB of text files on that thing...

Awakenwtwork Participation 01 Aug 2018 22:54 #109436

You two are full of it. Or rather, as conditioned phenomena you are empty. And my emptiness is emptier than your emptiness.

Awakenwtwork Participation 02 Aug 2018 06:33 #109440

:)

Awakenwtwork Participation 02 Aug 2018 07:48 #109442

A morning thought: We all have things in our practice that are a mystery to us, that are more or less unexplainable conundrums. I certainly do. So next time we think of or run across something like that maybe we should start a new topic about it.

As I said, just a thought.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurel Carrington, Philip, Michael V, Ranger
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds