Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Awakenetwork Participation

Awakenwtwork Participation 18 Sep 2018 13:45 #109924

I haven't been here recently because I haven't practiced in months, and don't much feel like talking about the few retreats I went on this year. Something about the Sakyong getting outed as a groper (not a surprise, but still heartbreaking all the same) just makes me wonder what we're doing here, and if there's actually any freedom to be sought in the practice, or if we're just slaves to our humanity but get better at dissociating from it.

That said, I have enjoyed AN as a smaller site to connect with a few key members. I came in post KFD, though. To me, it's like AN is a smaller, more connected sangha amidst the larger ones of the internet. Most of that is the respect I have for the group here, though, and this is the place said group congregates.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurel Carrington, Michael V, Ranger

Awakenwtwork Participation 02 Oct 2018 08:43 #109968

Something about the Sakyong getting outed as a groper (not a surprise, but still heartbreaking all the same) just makes me wonder what we're doing here, and if there's actually any freedom to be sought in the practice, or if we're just slaves to our humanity but get better at dissociating from it.

I can understand why one would wonder about this but... I think the message is that we are all human, regardless or maybe even in spite of our level of awakening. What we're doing here is trying to learn what that means at its deepest level. We should want to figure out what we are and how this marvelous human machinery works so that we can avoid being that kind of an asshole to others, learn from our mistakes, see ourselves in the most objective way possible and, through all of that process, find compassion and ways to be present and deeply human as often as we possibly can.

A mouthful, for sure, but a worthy goal never to lose sight of.
Last Edit: 02 Oct 2018 08:47 by Chris Marti.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kacchapa, matthew sexton, Michael V

Awakenwtwork Participation 21 Oct 2018 10:07 #110012

Looks like we're killing it here.

:P

Awakenwtwork Participation 21 Oct 2018 16:39 #110017

ha! :D

Awakenwtwork Participation 07 May 2020 00:21 #112520

For some light Dharma fun:

...So I had a moment of surprise and very piqued curiosity as I was late-night Netflix surfing yesterday. I was watching a weird cartoon that started talking about some of the same dharma stuff we talk about.

First a question: How mainstream do you think pragmatic dharma content has gotten? None of my friends or family follow buddhism, and if I mentioned MCTB to 100 people I know, no one would know what I meant and certainly wouldn't have any idea that such distinctions exist in Buddhism.

Anywho, I was watching the first episode of this new adult animation called The Midnight Gospel. Its a pretty trippy concept and if you like that sort of thing, I recommend the show. Its probably not for most people, though. About halfway through the show, as I was half-listening and playing on my phone, one of the characters started explaining noting meditation. I may be overselling it, but I would bet money that the writer of this episode has read MCTB at least. Its not that you can only read about those things in MCTB, I just got that MCTB "feel" from the dialogue and I was wondering what anyone else thought. There was mention of things arising and passing away, concepts being "fractal", and even a bit about pronouncing the word "phenomenological", to name a few parts. Of course, this discussion was happening while they were fighting off zombies, but I thought it was pretty unique. How often do you see these concepts brought up anywhere other than our own groups?

In fun participation,
-Anthony
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol

Awakenwtwork Participation 07 May 2020 09:30 #112522

Hah, I stumbled on that Midnight Gospel episode too. :) I would say it was closer to mainstream Vipassina/noting than MCTB -- but I did get a chuckle when kinda out of nowhere he started riffing on meditation practice.

Just to be somewhat contravercial... I'd say real meditation, which I'll define as anything post Cessation, will never be mainstream. Anything mainstream will always be McMindfulness and McChristianity, etc. The practical dharma world will continue to be a very small world. I would say it becomes as mainstream as fine oil painting, which I'll define as anything that is representative and captures ambient light through use of warm-cold tonality in direct light, shadows, and reflected light within shadows. Basically I think that right now in the world there are probably... 5000-10,000 serious meditators even counting monestaries. Proably Chicago has about 20 serious meditators, I would guess. (Let the debate begin.... :D)

Awakenwtwork Participation 07 May 2020 12:35 #112523

Proably Chicago has about 20 serious meditators, I would guess.

I think there are 17 :P

Awakenwtwork Participation 07 May 2020 15:14 #112525

I suspect the small numbers are a feature, not a bug, despite the periods of arising of exuberant desire to get everyone else to join in, which is also probably a feature, not a bug.

Awakenwtwork Participation 07 May 2020 18:56 #112529

Chris Marti wrote:

Yes. You're right. I was really exaggerating things. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Marti, Ona Kiser

Awakenwtwork Participation 07 May 2020 23:34 #112536

shargrol wrote:
Chris Marti wrote:

Yes. You're right. I was really exaggerating things. :)

I count over 20 in Seattle!

:cheer:

Awakenwtwork Participation 08 May 2020 07:18 #112538

Nice! Hail Seattle! Long live the SPUDS!! :)
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds