If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Awakenetwork Participation

Awakenwtwork Participation 08 Aug 2018 15:42 #109521

Tom Otvos wrote:
Chris Marti wrote:
Tom, what are your plans for Awakenetwork's future? Do you need financial support?

As to what my plans are, I would certainly like to see it continue, but it is frustrating that there is so little momentum. DhO isn't that much better, but still there is something going on there. There seems to be an influx of new member requests here, many of whom are coming from DhO, but once approved they do not seem to post. Suggestions on how to change that are welcome.

On my want-to-do-yesterday list, I would very much like to redo the infrastructure so that it is more easily upgradeable, and hardened against hackers. That is mostly a time thing, but it also calls (back) into question the social network aspect of this site. As everyone knows, that is something that I have always wanted to keep and encourage its use of, especially for sharing quick bits of "stuff" that you come across that (a) don't merit a discussion topic, (b) aren't really the continuation of an existing discussion topic, and (c) would be something that you might share on Facebook if your FB friends were all dharma friends. That seems like an uphill battle here, but where it is relevant to my wish list is that upgrading that piece would be a small amount of money to pay for the license. Plus some more time.

To the shargrol's that want to write essays, there continues to be the "Read" section of this site, for just that thing. But I get that you might prefer to have that kind of stuff under your own "brand" of a personal website, so maybe the "Read" section is a failed experiment.

So, I am happy to continue to support AN as long as people find it of value. I just don't have a good sense of that value right now, so it does make it a bit hard to apply myself to upgrading, or repairing the latest hacker attack, etc.

I would be willing to have a go at writing something, maybe about noting or the progress of insight, if somebody who knows what they are talking about it would review it.

We've got a wiki place holder that doesn't have any content, I'd be willing to try and put some stuff together. (The dho has a wiki and it frustrates the hell out of me that key chunks of it are missing)

Would it help to have more topics publicly visible? I'd be willing to start a public practice thread (although it will remain as boring as the current one).

Would it be useful to have sticky posts with links to resources and so on?

The default view when an outsider clicks on the 'discuss' link is 1 week, so if the place is quiet it looks like there's nothing here, perhaps that could be changed to make the place look busier? Also I noticed that changing the view to 1 month or 1 year throws a 404 error.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael V

Awakenwtwork Participation 08 Aug 2018 16:24 #109523

Philip wrote:
I would be willing to have a go at writing something, maybe about noting or the progress of insight, if somebody who knows what they are talking about it would review it.

We've got a wiki place holder that doesn't have any content, I'd be willing to try and put some stuff together. (The dho has a wiki and it frustrates the hell out of me that key chunks of it are missing)

Would it help to have more topics publicly visible? I'd be willing to start a public practice thread (although it will remain as boring as the current one).

Would it be useful to have sticky posts with links to resources and so on?

The default view when an outsider clicks on the 'discuss' link is 1 week, so if the place is quiet it looks like there's nothing here, perhaps that could be changed to make the place look busier? Also I noticed that changing the view to 1 month or 1 year throws a 404 error.

Yes, Philip, the wiki is very much a placeholder. I envisioned that being a place where "definitions" are stored related to the various practices discussed. Clearly that never went anywhere. Articles are better served in the "Read" section, which is basically an embedded Wordpress in an otherwise Joomla site (for those that care about the details). Before committing to writing stuff, let's get a handle on what we want this to be going forward.

As to the 404, yes, I found that too. and it depends on whether you get to the recent posts from the "All Recent" or "Discuss" link. One works, the other doesn't. Yet another reason to upgrade.

Awakenwtwork Participation 08 Aug 2018 17:51 #109526

I read Chris Marti's practice journal yesterday (thanks Chris!) Writing in the wake of an enlightenment or fruition experience has a certain flavor, and that journal has more than one such gem in it. I've also read a fair amount of the Kenneth Folk content. I don't know how I have much to say publicly, but I'd hate to see this go away. Cheers, John
Last Edit: 08 Aug 2018 17:52 by John Heron.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Marti, shargrol, Michael V

Awakenwtwork Participation 08 Aug 2018 20:15 #109529

@OP

The most active community right now is Reddit Stream Entry. In my opinion there are 2 reasons for this:

1 - Reddit as a platform has a prebuilt user base & people are familiar with the layout

2 - They have super active moderators who post 2 weekly threads: Hows Your Practice & General Questions. In addition, it is heavily moderated for trolls (as this place is), but there are also many good services for users on that site, such as dukkha nana survival kit/hotlines, lists of redditors willing to mentor & beginner's guide to practice.

Just throwing that out there
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurel Carrington

Awakenwtwork Participation 08 Aug 2018 20:24 #109530

I'll have to check that out, Noah.

Awakenwtwork Participation 12 Aug 2018 02:47 #109554

I've been lurking at this site for several years and this thread has somehow made me want to speak my mind.

I was involved (in a minor role) at the old KFD wetpaint discussion forum back in the hay day. Man, those were the times. It was right after I read MCTB and I was full of piss and vinegar in those days. We had robust discussions in our journal entries that pushed us all further. Kenneth was one of my first real teachers. We only met via Skype a hand full of times and I sat with him in a few Cooper retreats (both as retreatants, not as student-teacher). And I do then and now consider him one of the most influential dharma persons of my spiritual trajectory.

The KFD was a magical time. Kenneth, Ron Crouch, Antero, Chris Marti, Nikolai, Mumuwu and many others help me so much during my progression. I feel blessed to have been a part of that and I did not see that things would change so abruptly. However, I left the online community based on a few occurrences. I am no pragmatic dharma historian, and I know that Chris Marti here knows all of this better than I, but the Glen Wallis event and seemingly-related KFD shutdown shook me enough to reevaluate and become a solo practitioner once again.

Indeed, Kenneth's continual shifting explanation of the end-game states/stages at the end of KFD forums left me un-solid. I determined to be a lamp unto myself. Believing that online dharma stuff can (now at least) be useful for the occasional boost, but not the lifeline that it once was, I stopped participating online.

I reached 4th path in 2011. But lol, what is 4th path mean now? Is it a real thing. Is it just a misinterpretation? I am certainly off the nana rollercoaster that started the whole ride. I am not finished with the journey and I don't envy my earlier self who started the the initial path. I only know that I am in territory that cannot be easily explained, teached, or relevantly discussed in the current discussion forums. We have a need in this online community and it is one of clear validity.

Remember Kenneth's uncertainty at the end of KFD? Remember Daniel's "Isolation of Blowing it", remember the PCE stuff, remember the fact that this enlightenment stuff is as simple as simple can be for those who live it, but more complex than matrix algebra for those who are starting off, and I don't see how we can serve it by continuing another mushroom culture "I support you with positivity and compassion website discussion forum".

I see what you do here and it has faint remembrance of the past. But this site does not have the cutting edge. No dharma site does in 2018, as far as I can tell. MCBT2 has promise, as a text, but that doesn't mean we will ever regain the foothold and the momentum we once had. "Further" is the only mantra that provides in this game and talking about our experiences and feelings in the non-confrontational manner that a site like this provides does not push further.

Basically, not enough people give a shit, not enough people have their hair on fire, not enough people know how to teach it efficiently, and not enough people have the stomach to push the cutting edge in others, as it was in the past.

I would love more participation here, but those who would contribute in a meaningful-effective way, are fewer and fewer and farther between. This "awakening" gig is not for the mainstream; it is for the ones who found themselves thrust in a situation where they cannot, by any means necessary, go back to sleep. And despite all costs, they will ride this crazy ride to the finish...sometimes alone.

Which leaves me with this critique: Who among us knows how to finish it out? If it is so cryptic to explain, and so slippery to attain, why not push hard and sharpen each other's blades to radically cultivate our cutting edges? That is a dharma discussion forum that I would attend to daily.

-Anthony Yeshe
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Marti, Tom Otvos, shargrol, Andy, Kacchapa, Rod, Antero, matthew sexton, Michael V

Awakenwtwork Participation 12 Aug 2018 10:30 #109557

Thank you for chiming in, Anthony.

All I can say is that this place is what we, collectively, will make it. If all we do is lurk or click on the "Thank You" button, there will be more of the same. If we contribute at least some thoughts, if we start a new topic that speaks to something that matters to us, then something else might happen.

JMHO

:)
Last Edit: 12 Aug 2018 10:31 by Chris Marti.

Awakenwtwork Participation 12 Aug 2018 10:38 #109558

... but the Glen Wallis event and seemingly-related KFD shutdown shook me enough to reevaluate and become a solo practitioner once again.

I'm not as astute as you might think, Anthony. What was the Glenn Wallis event?

Awakenwtwork Participation 12 Aug 2018 11:55 #109559

Chris Marti wrote:
... but the Glen Wallis event and seemingly-related KFD shutdown shook me enough to reevaluate and become a solo practitioner once again.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Actually, I’ve listened to several interviews with him on the Imperfect Buddhist podcast, and his understanding of enlightenment is certainly different from mine, in that he seems to say that it is almost entirely a matter of social and political awareness. Correct me if I’m wrong. I accept a large part of his critique of Western Buddhists as spending too much energy on themselves and showing little or no interest in matters of social justice, but I also believe that enlightenment is worth the effort and makes all of us more capable of being better at whatever we turn our attention to accomplishing.

I also have a question for Anthony: do you think people are too polite and supportive here, not confrontational enough? Is that any part of what you’re saying? I know that even the DhO is much more user-friendly these days, with almost none of the insulting behavior of the past. I also see lots of good, solid advice on this forum, and people practicing their behinds off. Maybe part of what is going on with you is the post-fourth phenomenon of wondering, where do I go from here? Maybe we post-fourthers all have periods of thrashing around, some of us longer than others. I can echo your claim that you would never go back; neither would I. But how do we go forward? I had a talk with Abre a little over a week ago that helped with that. I’ll report in more detail on my thread.
Last Edit: 12 Aug 2018 18:21 by Laurel Carrington.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Marti

Awakenwtwork Participation 12 Aug 2018 16:54 #109563

I see what you do here and it has faint remembrance of the past. But this site does not have the cutting edge. No dharma site does in 2018, as far as I can tell. MCBT2 has promise, as a text, but that doesn't mean we will ever regain the foothold and the momentum we once had. "Further" is the only mantra that provides in this game and talking about our experiences and feelings in the non-confrontational manner that a site like this provides does not push further.

I call bullshit.

:P
Last Edit: 12 Aug 2018 16:54 by Chris Marti.

Awakenwtwork Participation 12 Aug 2018 19:02 #109570

Chris Marti wrote:

I call bullshit.

It is bullshit. Bullshit is what we should focus on. I want to say something relevant, but I don't know how to get it out of my head with appropriate clarity. Also, it is hard to sense a person's tone from just their writing, so please know that I am not feeling anything negative about this site or our community in general. Something has to change though. This is simply my attempt to answer the initial question of this thread.

I call for revolution. The concept of human Awakening is an oddball esoteric topic that would make any of us seem like a nut if we spoke about this stuff to a stranger on the street. Despite hundreds of years of practice and development via multiple religions, traditions, and philosophers, and even the modern pragmatic moment, Awakening is still more covered in shadow than I care for.

It seems like we accept this too readily and submit to grokking through the dark, helping others grok through the dark, and call it good - that is what discussion forums are like. Rather than a new technique, tradition, teacher, another level/strata of mind to work towards, we need to collectively all stop what we are doing and call bullshit on the whole show.

Awakening is simple truth and the natural birthright of the human mind. It is also an overt operation and overly difficult process that can cause serious damage to your life and certainly not viable or desirable for everyone. But what about for us? Can't we just critique it a bit more? We need to find our shadow spots and I think that is what I would like to see more of. I didn't mean "confrontational", that was a poor choice of word on my part. Maybe a willingness to find our own bullshit. Chris sparked this in me earlier in this thread when he said, "A morning thought: We all have things in our practice that are a mystery to us, that are more or less unexplainable conundrums. I certainly do. So next time we think of or run across something like that maybe we should start a new topic about it.". I suggest we take this a thousand steps further and call the whole practice in general too damn mysterious and start shining light on the darkspots.

I will give an example, critiquing myself when I said above, "Awakening is simple truth and the natural birthright of the human mind". Where do the hell do I get off stating something like this as a fact? What is my real understanding? I can tell you that I am not experiencing an abiding Awakening state where I do not get caught in delusion a thousand times a day. I know what Awakening feels like and its associated "everything is perfect just as it is understanding of all things, even fear of not truly being fully Awakened" state of mind. In this state, nothing is a problem and there are no dharma potholes to fix. But my eyes are not that open very often and I would like to admit that I don't know what to do about it coupled with my lost drive to get there some time ago. Whats up with that? How could I have stalled this much even knowing what is possible.

I am in that long period of ego restructuring limbo and that's a place were we need more fuel to put on the fire. There are a million texts and teachers to reliably get you to the first jhana but almost nothing on post-initial awakening. Yes its complicated and mysterious, but I believe part of that reason lies in lack of us talking it. I like Adyshanti's End of your world, its the closest I've found, but more work needs to be done here. Thus, you get people like me who have had self-verifying experiences of the real thing, but not full mastery. Yet those, who do have full mastery and abiding awakening (and how do we know that is the truth anyways) seem to be ok with the state of it as it sits. They write many books how to get the path started and make some progress but left out the last few and most difficult/mysterious chapters. Has anyone noticed that paradox? Importantly, what can we do about it?

Either our current state of Awakening understanding and progressing is all blissfully going according to the plan, or the next turning of the wheel needs to happen and is humanity's natural next step, and not, as we are doing here, just plodding along as unknowingly as ever before, helping people get their first awakening and then adding them to our ranks of people that don't know what the hell to do next, don't know what the problem is, and pretend that there is no problem and to admit so would mean that you are not really awake. (wow, that was a long sentence and I almost deleted it but I feel I have to be bare and vulnerable for this to work)

Where am I deluding myself? I need to see it. This is my most potent source of motivation right now
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Marti, Kacchapa, Laurel Carrington, Rod, Michael V

Awakenwtwork Participation 12 Aug 2018 19:09 #109573

Given the obvious energy you have around this issue, Anthony, I'd suggest that you start a topic on it. I'll participate. I think it's an important part of practice not well explored. I think the post-awakening funk and the often soon-afterward experienced descent into hell is worth a lot of words.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurel Carrington, Rod

Awakenwtwork Participation 12 Aug 2018 19:24 #109576

Laurel Carrington wrote:
Chris Marti wrote:

Took the words right out of my mouth. Actually, I’ve listened to several interviews with him on the Imperfect Buddhist podcast, and his understanding of enlightenment is certainly different from mine, in that he seems to say that it is almost entirely a matter of social and political awareness. Correct me if I’m wrong. I accept a large part of his critique of Western Buddhists as spending too much energy on themselves and showing little or no interest in matters of social justice, but I also believe that enlightenment is worth the effort and makes all of us more capable of being better at whatever we turn our attention to accomplishing.

I also have a question for Anthony: do you think people are too polite and supportive here, not confrontational enough? Is that any part of what you’re saying? I know that even the DhO is much more user-friendly these days, with almost none of the insulting behavior of the past. I also see lots of good, solid advice on this forum, and people practicing their behinds off. Maybe part of what is going on with you is the post-fourth phenomenon of wondering, where do I go from here? Maybe we post-fourthers all have periods of thrashing around, some of us longer than others. I can echo your claim that you would never go back; neither would I. But how do we go forward? I had a talk with Abre a little over a week ago that helped with that. I’ll report in more detail on my thread.

I think I mean that I feel that we "think" we have it figured out enough and we accept it too easily. The fact that many of us question how to go forward means that we need to focus on that more and demand a level of critique and exploration to prevent us from deluding ourselvs and others with premature finalizations about that path... until we do discover a comprehensive and complete map that takes to the end. We need a better definition about what being "done" really looks like. I think it needs to be about us, the people, getting this done and not particular teachers or books.

Briefly about the Glen Wallis thing: Years ago Glen, who operates speculativenonbuddhism.com, also did work on a funny blog that basically satarizes buddism and buddihst in general. Kenneth and Daniel got invited to be in on the act and initially took part in a bit of good hummor and critizism about their teachings. Things wend south though and Kenneth ended up looking kinda bad. This, if my memory serves, was very close to when KFD went down. I think I read somewere that this ended up being a usefull even in Kenneth's progression but understandabbly probably shook his confidence in teaching. It shook my confidence and I ended up focusing more on solo exploration and went away from teachers and online communities. That was what I needed at the time. Not sure about now.

Here is the link. Be sure to not misread what it is. I feel bad bringing this up, but this event popped a bubble of mine that needed to be popped and thus was an important part of my path in a way:
tuttejiorg.wordpress.com/trolling-wisdom...rony/comment-page-1/

For those who don't want to read it all, here was Kenneth's last comment:

"To those who care about me or are interested in developmental awakening, One of my intentions in participating here was to out-bully the bullies. It didn’t work. Although I was able to revel in my own nastiness for awhile, I could not sustain it. The SNB fellows are masters of the medium, and I was outmatched. On hindsight, I regret having taken that approach, and I don’t think anything good came of it. The main lesson for me is that it’s better to model the behavior you’d like to see than to try to bludgeon others into submission. You may not change anyone else’s behavior, but neither will you have to regret your own. I do regret my behavior in this case, and I hope to do better in the future. As for the content of the discussion, even assuming one is willing to wade through the insults and posturing, I don’t see that anything new or interesting emerged. If you wan’t to learn more about what Glenn, Matthias, and Tom are saying, I recommend that you go to their blog(s). If you want to learn more about what I am saying, go to mine. All best, Kenneth"

Awakenwtwork Participation 12 Aug 2018 19:43 #109577

Chris Marti wrote:
Given the obvious energy you have around this issue, Anthony, I'd suggest that you start a topic on it. I'll participate. I think it's an important part of practice not well explored. I think the post-awakening funk and the often soon-afterward experienced descent into hell is worth a lot of words.

Ok I will, while the energy lasts. I will post in the general forum

Awakenwtwork Participation 12 Aug 2018 20:00 #109578

Yep I would participate too - Whilst I have been pretty content with everything as a delirious mess :) I can definitely relate to what you are railing about and whilst I have used it as an opportunity to develop more acceptance and letting go, I am also not sure if that is the best way to deal with it either - the texts and breadcrumb trail promptly stopped when that last 4th path, whatever, shift happened and I wonder - I went through this whole validation phase where I would read and watch things to see the points that resonated with my experience and whilst a bunch of texts made perfect sense where before they were opaque, the only difference between me and the authors might be that they were confident that all was as it should be and they had an 'answer' where I was not, but I had no particular drive to do anything much about it! :lol:

Anyway, I think its a good topic and more importantly through sharing and discussing/debating etc we might find a way to approach it that provides more support to post awakened folks.

Awakenwtwork Participation 12 Aug 2018 20:54 #109580

Rod wrote:
Whilst I have been pretty content with everything as a delirious mess :) I can definitely relate to what you are railing about and whilst I have used it as an opportunity to develop more acceptance and letting go, I am also not sure if that is the best way to deal with it either

Wow Rod, you just said it perfectly. Exactly what I am trying to say. Its paradoxical that my drive to progress is minimal despite desire to do so. My fear is that by putting in more effort I may delay this unfolding process. My other fear is that by not taking this to task as I am trying to now do, I am also delaying it and not serving others in uncovering new effective strategies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurel Carrington, Rod

Awakenwtwork Participation 12 Aug 2018 21:09 #109582

Ha! Anthony you have added the second half of the 'equation' -
....by putting in more effort I may delay this unfolding process. My other fear is that by not taking this to task as I am trying to now do, I am also delaying it and not serving others in uncovering new effective strategies.

The concern that by meddling with it, somehow it might be distorted or delayed - like trying to force a butterfly emerging from its chrysalis and the wings getting permanently damaged in such a fragile state.

The other weird part is that trying to describe experience, is like talking in riddles - the paradoxes abound, which doesn't help the situation - maybe if we all talked this way it might make sense! :lol:

A worthy conundrum to examine!
Last Edit: 12 Aug 2018 21:12 by Rod.

Awakenwtwork Participation 13 Aug 2018 07:39 #109586

Anthony Yeshe wrote:
Chris Marti wrote:

Ok I will, while the energy lasts. I will post in the general forum

So as to not derail the discussion on that new thread, I'll say here that I moved that topic out of "General Forum Topics" to something more appropriate but equally visible publicly. This current category is intended for stuff strictly related to the forum and its operation.

Awakenwtwork Participation 13 Aug 2018 09:21 #109595

Anthony, I don't know, obviously, but I doubt the Glenn Wallis thing is what ended KFD. What usually ends the things that Keneth Folk is involved in is Kenneth's own lack of motivation. As his board admin, over several periods, and as his friend and sometime associate in various endeavors, I will say that Kenneth kills things all by himself. He cannot, seemingly, commit to doing anything over the long haul. This includes writing a book, having active message boards, setting up and maintaining a practice-oriented organization, and many other things. He would be the first to admit to this, btw. It is just how Kenneth is.

KFD was just boring to Kenneth, and as you said before, he got wonky with his practice and where he took it (another sign of boredom, btw), so KFD died when Kenneth didn't want to devote serious time and effort to it anymore. Some of us got frustrated with that and started Dharma Refugees, and that eventually became part of AwakeNetwork.

Awakenwtwork Participation 13 Aug 2018 09:38 #109597

Credit where credit is due, though: he had a wonderful site while it lasted, and it lasted for quite awhile. I would suppose his ADHD or whatever it was (takes one to know one—ha!) persisted post-awakening.

When I started out, and for years thereafter, I thought all of these guys—well, Kenneth and Daniel—had all the answers. I was prepared to follow them to infinity and beyond! But of course they’re only human, just like the rest of us. And a lot of what must be frustrating about Kenneth to some people is his all too likely having the same issues post-awakening that Anthony is describing here. Unlike the rest of us, though, he’s supposed to be this total badass teacher, and so he’s thrashing around trying to figure out what to do about it and what to do for the rest of us.

One more thing, and then I’ll move to the new thread: Shinzen Young on the Deconstructing Yourself podcast (I think that’s where it was) said something to the effect that people in general are better off not going beyond Stream Entry, because after that they can get weird. I mean, WTF?! We all should question that point and push back IMHO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim

Awakenwtwork Participation 13 Aug 2018 09:51 #109599

Unlike the rest of us, though, he’s supposed to be this total badass teacher, and so he’s thrashing around trying to figure out what to do about it and what to do for the rest of us.

This should not surprise us. What's a teacher? A human being!

Awakenwtwork Participation 13 Aug 2018 11:41 #109602

Laurel Carrington wrote:
One more thing, and then I’ll move to the new thread: Shinzen Young on the Deconstructing Yourself podcast (I think that’s where it was) said something to the effect that people in general are better off not going beyond Stream Entry, because after that they can get weird. I mean, WTF?! We all should question that point and push back IMHO.

For some reason, this made me laugh pretty hard this morning.

I'd hate to see this site go away. It's one of the few sites I visit regularly on the web. I'll do my very best to participate more.

I'd echo the stuff Anthony said about KFD and DhO of a few years back. The burst of energy was a huge propellant to my own practice, even though I was technically behind (on the maps) all of the main players. At this point (as documented in my own log) I don't practice much on account of side effects that aren't compatible with my daily life (although I have sat for short periods of time recently with no problems so maybe I've moved past that). I haven't posted in my log very often because I'd compartmentalized it as a place where I log daily practice -- something I'm not real keen to do anymore. But I do think there's a ton of interesting stuff happening with regards to a 3rd path mind and how it relates to radical changes in environment, being a father, the f-ed up state of the USA at the moment, and most especially, the narratives we all craft about just about everything.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Marti, shargrol, Michael V

Awakenwtwork Participation 13 Aug 2018 13:53 #109604

:lol: :lol: :lol: and of course, no one around here is weird, right?
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol

Awakenwtwork Participation 15 Aug 2018 08:21 #109642

It's interesting how often people cite the energy of the old KFD and DhO message boards as being a catalyst for their practice. Any theories on why there was so much energy back then? Yes, a bunch of people found each other on those boards. Yes, it was early in the MCTB Era (I just made that up, btw), and that was exciting. And yes, there were a number of prolific posters in all those places. One thing I can think of that made a difference is the nature of some people who were actively posting at the time: Vincent Horn, Hokai Sobol, Kenneth Folk, Daniel Ingram. There was a confluence of things going on: MCTB popularity on the rise, the emergence of the Buddhist Geeks podcast featuring all the people, and more, who I mentioned. These were well-known Buddhism "celebrities." Having celebrities active on your message boards is a different maker. We don't have that here, do we?

Any thoughts?
Last Edit: 15 Aug 2018 08:36 by Chris Marti.

Awakenwtwork Participation 15 Aug 2018 09:35 #109648

Daniel is posting much more actively on DhO these days. And I attribute a lot of the energy in the Good Old Days to the newness of the project. Vince and Emily Horn are doing some important things now, and new blood is out there—Daniel Thorson, for example, has a podcast series called Emerge. There’s a lot more available on the web now than 8 years ago.

Let’s not be too nostalgic about the past. It resembled the Wild West in a lot of ways, with fruitless arguments, flakiness, and insults; people stomped off in disgust and there was bad blood aplenty. We are settling in for the long haul at present, lamenting the energy of our teen years!
Time to create page: 0.268 seconds