If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Awakenetwork Improvement Project

Awakenetwork Improvement Project 14 Feb 2019 08:18 #110397

Tom, one other comment and it's about the site security certificate. It's the warning folks get when they come here that it's "Not secure." I see that in Chrome, and in FireFox I see the slashed out padlock icon. It might help to get that fixed. If you need funding please let me know privately. I would be happy to help.
Last Edit: 15 Feb 2019 07:24 by Chris Marti.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy

Awakenetwork Improvement Project 14 Feb 2019 09:17 #110398

+1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy

Awakenetwork Improvement Project 14 Feb 2019 14:42 #110400

I have another random thought which is that the original premise of the whole thing was the 'end of a specific axis of development' , i.e. that one could be done with supramundane insight. This unified idea became diversified by differing definitions between teachers + new attainments like AF, direct mode & even I am discovering more potential stuff that I consider to be even deeper than fundamental doneness/seeing mind constructing reality... things like awakened lucidity across different spectrums of consciousness are further types of constructions to see through.... thus the idea of one selling point of "4th path" sort of got broken up & complexified, which is ultimately bad marketing strategy, thus less popularity.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol, Ona Kiser, Shaun Elstob

Awakenetwork Improvement Project 14 Feb 2019 14:49 #110403

Chris Marti wrote:
Tom, one other comment and it's about the site security certificate. It's the warning folks get when they come here that it's "Not secure." I see that in Chrome, and in FireFox I see the slashed ou padlock icon. It might help to get that fixed. If you need funding please let me know privately. I would be happy to help.

Agree. Let me know as well.

Awakenetwork Improvement Project 15 Feb 2019 07:57 #110412

Andy wrote:
Chris Marti wrote:
Tom, one other comment and it's about the site security certificate. It's the warning folks get when they come here that it's "Not secure." I see that in Chrome, and in FireFox I see the slashed ou padlock icon. It might help to get that fixed. If you need funding please let me know privately. I would be happy to help.

Agree. Let me know as well.

Yes, the certificate has been on my TDL for a *long* time. Russell had pointed me to a free cert source as well. But if someone wants to take that on (free or commercial) that would be awesome.

Awakenetwork Improvement Project 15 Feb 2019 08:01 #110413

shargrol wrote:
Another new-ish thought --- take the old nuggets of good stuff and turn it into FAQ.

Something that I've been wanting to do is use the nanas and the paths as an outline and then under each header, list out some typical questions and good answers. Basically do this in the order of typical progress so that even within, let's say FEAR nana, there is the early fear stuff (being spooked and turned away), middle fear stuff (watching it like an interesting horror movie, scared but still want to watch), the transition phase (starting to get insights into fear, what it is and isn't, how old ways of looking at fear are wrong), and mature fear (noticing the value of the information, the exhileration, and how the temptation to freak out cuts us off from information and exhileration of this phase).

Most of what we have here often spans a few nanas, so it would require some editing. But I think such a product would make it useful to many many people.

I have a placeholder for a wiki, which I had intended to be just that kind of FAQ, under the "Learn" tab above. I always felt that a repo of PD thought, in a Wikipedia kind of way, would be a great resource.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol, Laurel Carrington

Awakenetwork Improvement Project 15 Feb 2019 09:49 #110416

On the SSL front: Not only would it be nice to have the site secured, but Google actually gives favoritism to https sites vs http these days, so it can actually help prevent awakenetwork from dying in a small way. I don't think Let's Encrypt would be too hard to implement but I don't know much about the server.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol

Awakenetwork Improvement Project 16 Feb 2019 11:15 #110424

What is our primary objective for this site?

Awakenetwork Improvement Project 16 Feb 2019 11:32 #110425

Get as many people into the dark night as possible, right?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurel Carrington, Shaun Elstob, Junglist, Curious Malcolm

Awakenetwork Improvement Project 16 Feb 2019 11:39 #110427

:P

Awakenetwork Improvement Project 16 Feb 2019 16:08 #110430

Let me try this again:

When you all come to this site what is it that you come here for?
Last Edit: 16 Feb 2019 16:08 by Chris Marti.

Awakenetwork Improvement Project 16 Feb 2019 18:07 #110433

Chris Marti wrote:
Let me try this again:

I came for help through the unknown. DhO was too noisy, every tom dick and scary, the whole world, watching, weighing in on my practice log. I needed some peace and quiet and conversation from the people I met at BG2014.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shaun Elstob

Awakenetwork Improvement Project 16 Feb 2019 18:10 #110434

Noah wrote:
Get as many people into the dark night as possible, right?

I think that's a legit goal if we're trying to save the world. I'm assuming that the math would work out and the net effect would be positive. Another goal like that might get as many people into access concentration as possible.

Awakenetwork Improvement Project 16 Feb 2019 18:56 #110436

Chris Marti wrote:
Let me try this again:

Basically, it's the only sane meditation place on the internet?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Marti, Shaun Elstob

Awakenetwork Improvement Project 17 Feb 2019 01:15 #110440

I think Spud has a point that the dramatic claims ("I'm an arhat! Be enlightened in five easy steps! You, too, can shoot lasers out your fingers! My dark night is better than your dark night!") on other forums or in the past tend to draw a crowd, in the same way that a fight in the high school parking lot draws a crowd. Which combines nicely with Matthew's point that he came here so he could have a quiet practice thread on which fewer people comment!

So to say, the appeal here seems to be the lack of silly drama and the calmer level of activity.

Which means it's fine the way it is. But it will also always be less popular than the fight in the parking lot. It's more like the table in the library where the geeks hang out during lunch to avoid the cafeteria.

Why I keep thinking of high school during this post...perhaps because I just read some people's journals and they all have teenagers...?

If it were a Catholic forum we'd do a monthly novena (nine day group prayer) for the well-being of the participants and the flourishing of the forum. I find novenas a little long, but I do pray for our-all's well-being and the healthy flourishing of the forum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Marti, shargrol, Kacchapa, Shaun Elstob

Awakenetwork Improvement Project 17 Feb 2019 08:46 #110444

Welcome back, Ona!

Awakenetwork Improvement Project 17 Feb 2019 09:02 #110446

Basically, it's the only sane meditation place on the internet?

:woohoo:

This makes me think maybe sanity isn't all that popular...
Last Edit: 17 Feb 2019 09:03 by Chris Marti.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ona Kiser, Junglist

Awakenetwork Improvement Project 17 Feb 2019 09:08 #110447

Which means it's fine the way it is.

I really do think it's better with more activity, like what I saw this morning when I logged in. Not crazy shit. Just more sane, smart and useful conversation. I don't think AN will ever appeal to the whacko crowd, mainly because we tend to chase them off with our calm abiding demeanor.

:cheer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ona Kiser, Laurel Carrington, Shaun Elstob

Awakenetwork Improvement Project 17 Feb 2019 10:26 #110449

I'm curious, Ona... what brings you back here?

Awakenetwork Improvement Project 17 Feb 2019 10:27 #110450

I answered over in my rabbit hole...

Awakenetwork Improvement Project 17 Feb 2019 10:33 #110452

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ona Kiser

Awakenetwork Improvement Project 18 Feb 2019 18:59 #110472

Okay, I agree, this forum is really slow compared to back a ways. Needs more people who are online all day for work and realistically it probably needs more arguments, and more people who get offended and argue. :D Reading that dukkha thread beginning, for instance, it was a lot of persnickety arguing (from my perspective). A bunch of mellow people who all get along don't make for less suffering, but suffering is what generates activity, no? (edited for typo)
Last Edit: 18 Feb 2019 19:49 by Ona Kiser.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shaun Elstob

Awakenetwork Improvement Project 18 Feb 2019 19:30 #110474

As I've been saying.

:cheer:

Awakenetwork Improvement Project 18 Feb 2019 21:08 #110479

Hm. Just took a look at the thread again and saw differences of opinion, but no actual conflict going on. I remember well how some of the real conflicts generated a lot of interest, especially on my part (the fighting over Actualism comes to mind). I don’t want us getting back to that kind of participation again!

Awakenetwork Improvement Project 19 Feb 2019 06:55 #110484

What we need is a schism. :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ona Kiser
Time to create page: 0.224 seconds