Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Thank you Tom Otvos

Thank you Tom Otvos 10 Sep 2020 08:24 #112933

Not sure if anyone noticed, but apparently the site was down for several hours night before last, and from the looks of Tom's message saying the site was down it seemed pretty serious. Apparently Tom solved the problem, but it would be a shame for no one to have noticed and appreciated the work Tom does to keep this great forum up and running. So I will be the first to say, thank you for all that you do for this community.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Thank you Tom Otvos 10 Sep 2020 09:04 #112935

I appreciate the kind words. And while I do my best to deal with bad actors that have nothing better to do than take this site down, I cannot take credit for anything that happened in the past week. AFAIK, the site was not under attack. Can you elaborate on what message you saw when it was down? That is disturbing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol

Thank you Tom Otvos 10 Sep 2020 10:56 #112936

It said something to the effect of (seemingly written by you) : After months of relentless attacks by hackers and spammers, someone, somehow, managed to damage a critical part of the site's infastructure..

or something like that. It sounded pretty serious. This is really weird, maybe I just imagined it.

EDIT: This message was on the homepage, in raw HTML form with no CSS or anything. Weird.
Last Edit: 10 Sep 2020 11:48 by SigmaTropic.

Thank you Tom Otvos 10 Sep 2020 11:09 #112937

I didn't get or see any messages like that in recent times. Just sayin'

Thank you Tom Otvos 10 Sep 2020 11:26 #112938

Mysterious messages aside, many thanks, Tom, for keeping this place going!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kacchapa

Thank you Tom Otvos 10 Sep 2020 12:30 #112939

SigmaTropic wrote:
Not sure if anyone noticed, but apparently the site was down for several hours night before last, and from the looks of Tom's message saying the site was down it seemed pretty serious. Apparently Tom solved the problem, but it would be a shame for no one to have noticed and appreciated the work Tom does to keep this great forum up and running. So I will be the first to say, thank you for all that you do for this community.

I didn't see the message, but +1 to the thank you!

Thank you Tom Otvos 20 Sep 2020 00:27 #112985

SigmaTropic wrote:
It said something to the effect of (seemingly written by you) : After months of relentless attacks by hackers and spammers, someone, somehow, managed to damage a critical part of the site's infastructure..

or something like that. It sounded pretty serious. This is really weird, maybe I just imagined it.

EDIT: This message was on the homepage, in raw HTML form with no CSS or anything. Weird.

That is an offline message that gets posted when the site is put into offline mode. I haven't done that in quite a while. Hmm.
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds