If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Thank You Buttons Disabled

Thank You Buttons Disabled 17 Aug 2013 09:32 #14093

Good morning!

We've disabled the "Thank You" button and the "Thank Yous Received" counter. Why? Because a bunch of AN members and admins had a long discussion about AN and our community and the consensus was that because we're small (yet) and because most of us know each other really well we tend to be a difficult place to break into when someone shows up as a new member. There is a sense that the many "Thank You's" that some of us get can be a bit intimidating to new members. So, this is an effort to make this place easier to jump into and feel comfortable with.

If you do want to thank someone for a comment please just post that to them in a comment.

Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Thank You Buttons Disabled 18 Aug 2013 16:42 #14101

Thank you.

Has the been any discussion about the Posts: counter underneath our avatars? I wonder if it might have the same effect?

Thank You Buttons Disabled 20 Aug 2013 11:48 #14128

I wondered where they'd gone. The one thing I can say is that I often relied on them to let a poster know I'd read and appreciated a comment without having to craft a reply. But like a good contemplative practitioner, I am able to let them go if that's the reality. :-)

Thank You Buttons Disabled 20 Aug 2013 19:13 #14161

"The one thing I can say is that I often relied on them to let a poster know I'd read and appreciated a comment without having to craft a reply."

Yeah, I thought this too - I don't always have a comment to make as a reply, but I do like to let the person know that I've read and appreciated what they said, and it seems like the only other alternative might be a whole list of very brief thankyou posts cluttering up a thread. But yeah, lots of other forums get by without them and I can see the other perspective too...

Thank You Buttons Disabled 21 Aug 2013 15:08 #14171

Sounds good. Just removing one more possible crutch for egos; can't hurt. And I really like the idea of making this place more welcoming to new mambers (not that we aren't already a welcoming bunch- just that, indeed, I can see how it would be intimidating to a newcomer, like watching the 'cool kids' give each other high fives all day.)

Thank You Buttons Disabled 21 Aug 2013 16:29 #14175

Good point. On the other hand, when someone devotes the time and energy to a long, thoughtful post, it was nice to be able to give some appreciative feedback. let them know they're not just writing to the crickets, without having to dilute the thread with thank-you-only posts. On another hand, thank you/ not thank you can get lazily similar to Cool/Not Cool. And Thank You button Click can be very subjective. A couple of times I happened to hit the board blazing with gratitude and could hardly restrain myself from a Thank You on whatever I read. Having to do a reply with some real content makes it more of a conversation.

Thank You Buttons Disabled 21 Aug 2013 16:38 #14176

Mark Peacock wrote:
Good point. On the other hand, when someone devotes the time and energy to a long, thoughtful post, it was nice to be able to give some appreciative feedback. let them know they're not just writing to the crickets, without having to dilute the thread with thank-you-only posts. On another hand, thank you/ not thank you can get lazily similar to Cool/Not Cool. And Thank You button Click can be very subjective. A couple of times I happened to hit the board blazing with gratitude and could hardly restrain myself from a Thank You on whatever I read. Having to do a reply with some real content makes it more of a conversation.

Specifically to that, Mark, I think the tacit assumption needs to be that no post goes to the crickets, and that gratefulness is the default mode. If a post is exceptionally thoughtful, then by all means post a "huzzah" and not worry about dilution, probably because the gratitude will end up having more words anyhow.

Thank You Buttons Disabled 21 Aug 2013 16:43 #14178

Good points, Tom. Thanks. And gratitude for this site.

Thank You Buttons Disabled 26 Aug 2013 18:22 #14301

So was this decision due to arriving at BG conference, chatting with people about AN, and then hearing them say "oh, I'd love to post, but it feels sort of cliquish, especially with the thank you buttons"... or what? Can I get some idea of what triggered the decision? I can see the counter ("who has more thank yous") being "ranking" and thus not very cool. But why was saying "thanks" problematic or cliquish?

There's almost always some conversation or specific incident that triggers these sort of decisions. It can't have been a random "I just woke up this morning and felt like it" thing.

Thank You Buttons Disabled 26 Aug 2013 23:06 #14306

Before the BG conference, on Friday, during a conversation with about six members here face to face, this point was made independently by a number of folks: it's hard as a new member to break through the rather small, intimate nature of this place. Removing the buttons is one way to help that process along. The Thank Yous appeared to be going mainly to a few, providing an appearance of cliquishness. We are, indeed, a small active posting group, so we really want to expand the active membership.

That's all there is to it.

Thank You Buttons Disabled 26 Aug 2013 23:23 #14308

Chris Marti wrote:
Before the BG conference, on Friday, during a conversation with about six members here face to face, this point was made independently by a number of folks: it's hard as a new member to break through the rather small, intimate nature of this place.

For what it's worth, I didn't really find that - it was maybe a bit hard to start posting initially because I knew everyone was pretty tight and lots knew each other over a number of years from different forums (fora?) but basically if you jump in it was fine... might be an issue if you only post occasionally cos people won't really get to know you I spose. I just assumed that I might get more thankyous as people got to know me, like in any social circle really. Also one of my very favourite things about AN compared to other dharma/contemplative forums is the small intimate nature of it! I liked the thankyous, but I don't see it as a big deal.

Thank You Buttons Disabled 27 Aug 2013 04:45 #14309

thank you for the clarification.

Poll: Thank You 30 Aug 2013 11:51 #14404

Just to say my peace. I always liked the "thank you" button. I thought of it like the "like" on facebook or "+1" on google which just signified agreement or appreciation. Why not still have the thank you's listen on the post like they were but without the tally under specific user names? That way we could still see who appreciated a post without that person having to write a post to say so, without the added awkwardness of keeping track of who gets the most praise?

Poll: Thank You 31 Aug 2013 11:22 #14425

Please note that we have re-enabled the Thank You buttons.

Thanks for all your input!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kate Gowen, Eran, Laurel Carrington, every3rdthought
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds