If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Poll: Do you prefer to have "thank you" enabled?

I prefer thank you's 13 61.9%
I prefer no thank you's 1 4.8%
I don't care either way 7 33.3%
Total number of voters: 21 ( Timus, Marc, Kirk, Kate Gowen, Derek ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC: Poll: Thank You

Poll: Thank You 27 Aug 2013 09:05 #14314

We have recently disabled the "thank you" feature on threads, on the premise that we felt it could present a barrier to wider involvement in the discussions, that it ran the danger of being too "cliquey". Some people really miss that feature, and we can see why. But the rationale for turning them off was also sound, and so we are not sure what to do. This poll might help clear things up, especially if we can get some passive members of this community to click their opinion too. It is, after all, their participation we are trying to encourage.

Interesting fact: in the last 7 days, 34 members visited the site. Clearly not all have posted something and, at the end of the day, that is TOTALLY FINE WITH US. Use this site however it best fits your practice. But if you are not participating because you are somehow intimidated, or shy, or whatever, please let us know. And if "thank you's" are part of it, please vote.

I should add that if we decide to re-enable the "thank you" feature, the "thank you" count for each user will remain off.
Last Edit: 27 Aug 2013 09:19 by Tom Otvos. Reason: Fixed poll labels
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Poll: Thank You 27 Aug 2013 19:25 #14326

Just in case you are looking at results, both Chris and I replied neutrally so we could see the results. So the "don't care" column should have 2 less.

Poll: Thank You 27 Aug 2013 19:46 #14327

I would love to hear from anyone who wants to post but feels somehow uncomfortable, as Tom mentioned in the first post on this thread, if there's anything we can do to make new posters feel more welcome. I love having new voices join in, and often see people introduce themselves on the intro/welcome thread and then disappear...

Poll: Thank You 27 Aug 2013 20:32 #14329

We have well over 100 members here and about 10 who post on a regular basis. In my experience managing message boards the ratio of active, regular posters to those who do not post has been about 1:10. This was true of the People magazine message boards, the busiest I've ever been in involved with, and it's true here. One thing we should keep in mind is that some folks are just not comfortable speaking up, but they're members none-the-less. It would be great to hear their "voices" even this once, using this poll.

Poll: Thank You 27 Aug 2013 21:14 #14330

Removing the thank-you count for individuals is an elegant compromise! I like that. ETA It just occurred to me that non-posters can use the thank you button to express themselves, like a quiet person who nevertheless is an active listener.
Last Edit: 27 Aug 2013 21:16 by Jake St. Onge.

Poll: Thank You 28 Aug 2013 07:11 #14338

In an effort to keep this thread on topic, and to foster the bigger discussion that seems to be emerging, I have moved the posts (starting with Derek's) into a new topic. I welcome any feedback to make this site more inclusive and welcoming.

Poll: Thank You 28 Aug 2013 09:45 #14341

jake wrote:
It just occurred to me that non-posters can use the thank you button to express themselves, like a quiet person who nevertheless is an active listener.

Yes.

Poll: Thank You 29 Aug 2013 08:12 #14375

Bump

Poll: Thank You 30 Aug 2013 11:27 #14403

Bump

Poll: Thank You 30 Aug 2013 15:46 #14408

So as of right now, if you subtract my vote and Chris', it would seem that 68% of voters like the "thank you". Sadly, there are not really any votes from our quiet members, but we also need to keep our active members happy so I will reinstate the button, without showing the totals next to user names. Thank you very much to everyone that spoke out on this issue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kate Gowen, Ona Kiser, duane_eugene_miller, Andy, Laurel Carrington, every3rdthought, Tina
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds