The DhO and AN proposed merger: thoughts?

More
10 years 6 months ago #15232 by Mario Nistri

Tom Otvos wrote: But as of right now, there is no movement on this integration of DhO until some of the underlying architectural and cultural issues are addressed.

I'm missing the point; what does this mean, from a practical point of view?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #15234 by Tom Otvos

Mario Nistri wrote:

Tom Otvos wrote: But as of right now, there is no movement on this integration of DhO until some of the underlying architectural and cultural issues are addressed.

I'm missing the point; what does this mean, from a practical point of view?

One of the big points raised by the vocal DhO opponents was the fact that their culture is open and accepting whereas AN is more paternalistic. Architecturally, this touches on everything from member approval and terms of service, to visibility of content above and below the "privacy line" that we have put into AN. I need to figure out an elegant way to support high volume public content from one group that may be considered "noise" by another group, and do it in such a way that each group get benefits of membership in the broader network. Because, after all, there has to be a clear benefit for DhO to host their content here, otherwise why bother?

And this is all over and above the known technical issue of moving content from the DhO database into the one maintained here, while preserving link references.

While it remains true that Liferay, the backbone of DhO, is kind of a nasty piece of software, if they get their upgrade ducks in a row then the value proposition to moving (at least to some members) is not at all clear.

-- tomo

More
10 years 4 months ago #17066 by Femtosecond
Whatever happened to the proposed merger?

More
10 years 4 months ago #17068 by Chris Marti
I think the DhO audience likes their way and folks here seems to like our way, so maybe it just wasn't meant to be.

More
10 years 4 months ago #17069 by Chris Marti
BTW - rather than have a brand new topic started about this I appended Limbic's question to the existing topic.

- Chris

More
10 years 4 months ago #17091 by Femtosecond
Maybe we should do more to dissociate AW from the DFRC peeps

More
10 years 4 months ago #17121 by Tom Otvos

Limbic wrote: Maybe we should do more to dissociate AW from the DFRC peeps

Sorry, but I don't quite understand that comment. Can you please elaborate?

-- tomo

More
10 years 4 months ago #17125 by Femtosecond
Make sure of the emphasis of AW as an umbrella agency, as not being the DFRC

More
10 years 4 months ago #17232 by Femtosecond
for instance a redesign of the opening page and forum catelog, and a rethinking of the General forum, maybe removing that back into the DFRC partition

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #17259 by Laurel Carrington
This is off-topic, but could someone please tell me who Nathan, aka Triplethink, is? He seems to have taken over DhO. Some of his posts seem worthwhile, but a whole lot of them are just plain looney. And I'm just plain trying to make out the lay of the land. Thanks. Chris, Jake, and Nick all seem to be willing to interact with him. I told him off (briefly) on one thread and he sent me metta, which is nice. I suppose he's an example of the free-wheeling culture over there that folks didn't want to see diluted.

Edit:maybe I should just send him a message and ask him directly, right? :whistle:
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by Laurel Carrington.

More
10 years 4 months ago #17262 by Ona Kiser
No gossiping about other forums.

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #17264 by Chris Marti
Nathan (aka triplethink) participated on the early, early DhO on Wetpaint, and sometimes on the early KFD on Wetpaint. Those of us who participated back then know him from those days. His posts back then were easier to understand. Not sure what he's doing now but it's hard to follow.

EDIT: I got interested in a dialog with triple think over on DhO when he said he was born as a stream enterer and had been living his entire (current?) life that way.
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by Chris Marti.

More
10 years 4 months ago #17267 by Laurel Carrington
Sorry. He seems not to be thin skinned.