If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New neighbors?

New neighbors? 19 Nov 2013 11:23 #16577

Looks like the KFD forum might move over here for realz! Kenneth posted this yesterday in reply to Chris about an Awakenetwork move:

Kenneth said:
To Chris: Yes. I am ready. And grateful to you and Tom and Nadav and Russell and the volunteers. I feel too spread out, and I long to simplify my online presence. What is the next step?

I'm sure we'll hear from our overlords when they know more.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

New neighbors? 19 Nov 2013 12:13 #16580

I have no idea what an overlord is, but yeah, we'll hopefully get all this worked out soon. I am very happy to be able to get all of Kenneth's content to a safe place. It's something that we've been talking about for a few years, since the demise of his WetPaint site.
Last Edit: 19 Nov 2013 12:16 by Chris Marti.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kate Gowen

New neighbors? 19 Nov 2013 12:19 #16583

This is an overlord:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kate Gowen, Rod

New neighbors? 19 Nov 2013 13:21 #16591

It will be interesting to go through the old threads that document the rift that spawned the original "refugee camp" that is now AwakeNetwork. While many relationships changed to some degree or another, I consider the rift to be healed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurel Carrington

New neighbors? 22 Nov 2013 05:19 #16668

Regarding the rift: I never was able to "get" the causes/conditions from reading the posts on KFD or the early ones on Refugee Camp.

But then I thought there must have been a lot of private communication.

I don't need to know all the details.

Cheers,
Florian

New neighbors? 22 Nov 2013 08:56 #16670

I'm glad to hear this. I never got used to the KFD site after the Wetpaint disaster.

Edit: just looked at KFD. Has it been hacked? Saw some strange topics, one in Greek.
Last Edit: 22 Nov 2013 09:02 by Laurel Carrington.

New neighbors? 22 Nov 2013 09:25 #16671

That's just a bunch of spam.

New neighbors? 22 Nov 2013 10:57 #16672

I cleaned it up and disabled new user registrations temporarily.

New neighbors? 22 Nov 2013 15:46 #16693

With Ken coming here I'm curious if awake network will also start offering coupons?? Pounding rampant consumerism into spirituality is such a thing of beauty. Hell, I'm weeping right now just thinking of it.
It's a wonderful lesson that anything, no matter how wonderful, can be made vulgar if the proper person is put on the job.

Let it Rot in Peace.

New neighbors? 22 Nov 2013 16:23 #16694

My God you need to do a better job of problematizing your discontent

I have some reasons to complain, maybe even more than you, but I do recognize that all of this is about making it possible for people to really awaken.

New neighbors? 22 Nov 2013 17:34 #16695

Brian Eleven wrote:
With Ken coming here I'm curious if awake network will also start offering coupons?? Pounding rampant consumerism into spirituality is such a thing of beauty. Hell, I'm weeping right now just thinking of it.
It's a wonderful lesson that anything, no matter how wonderful, can be made vulgar if the proper person is put on the job.

Let it Rot in Peace.

Good thing I did not mail out your AwakeNetwork mousepad yet. Seriously, dude, lighten up a bit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: every3rdthought

New neighbors? 22 Nov 2013 18:13 #16697

Tom, I think you should start charging a monthly fee for awakenetwork membership in 2014. Or better yet, a per-word toll fee for posting. Maybe we can come up with ideas for inserting some spirituality into the rampant consumerism that is awakenetwork too.

("You gotta pay the troll toll...")
Last Edit: 22 Nov 2013 18:13 by nadav.

New neighbors? 22 Nov 2013 18:24 #16699

At least spell the name of this place correctly. Branding, after all ;-)

New neighbors? 22 Nov 2013 19:14 #16705

Seriously Dude,(you really responded with this...wow)
I find crass consumerism to be offensive, the make a buck off of anything mindset truly disgusts me. Apparently the top minds here enjoy watching the world be simplified to the lowest common denominator in all things. Money. We all need to make a living, but why does everything have to become a commodity to be traded for cash?
At this point please continue with the adolescent hijinks, dude. It is so refreshing from what I see on other sites on the internet.
Thank you for clarifying my misconception that intelligence could be found on the awakenetwork(is that spelled correctly?)

Is it possible to cancel my account, dude?

Dude.
Last Edit: 22 Nov 2013 19:14 by Brian Eleven.

New neighbors? 22 Nov 2013 19:19 #16706

Do you really want your account cancelled?

New neighbors? 22 Nov 2013 19:48 #16708

I certainly understand Brianeleven's disgust however, whether it's at the presence of this consumerism element or people's possible interest in it, It always seems to circle back to ourselves and what we choose to hold our attention to.

For me some of the greatest territory for practice is the supermarket, the bus, shopping mall and of course at work where consumerism runs naked and free. The environment, the model, the situation seems not so important - more what we see (or don't see) in it and how it could be used to dis-embed, deconstruct, see through the ego and mind. Kind of like 'In the world, not of the world' (I think that's the bible, sorry bible!). This website is as much the 'world' as the shopping mall because it is made up of people who also use Google, go shopping, run businesses and get into arguments etc. Its all grist for the mill.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kacchapa

New neighbors? 22 Nov 2013 20:16 #16709

Can't figure out who is being accused of what. Is it Kenneth you are accusing of charging money, being featured in Wired magazine, or whatever? Or is it this forum with its t-shirts and other little items that help the management keep things going? We had this conversation awhile ago with Dharma Overground folks who think it's just fine for Daniel to keep subsidizing that forum for them out of his own pocket. Whatever the arrangement, you can count on the fact that someone is paying.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kate Gowen, Jake St. Onge, nadav, Andy, Kacchapa, Rod

New neighbors? 22 Nov 2013 20:58 #16712

How refreshing to get to sudden dose of bad attitude here at AN.

Brian, thanks for keeping us on our toes, and for reminding us how reactive patterns manifest in an online setting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ona Kiser, Andy

New neighbors? 22 Nov 2013 21:05 #16713

Florian wrote:
Regarding the rift: I never was able to "get" the causes/conditions from reading the posts on KFD or the early ones on Refugee Camp.

I've only read some of the stuff on the KFD schism and was not there when it happened. What I could gather from various forum posts, at various points in time, is that Kenneth was adding more and more stages to "done is what needed to be done". Thus, there were ethical concerns among students and schism was fomented. I couldn't decipher if the problem was 4 paths vs. 9 stages only or whether 2nd and 3rd gear teachings and jhana levels also contributed to the rift. Nor am I sure whether Kenneth charging money for dharma teachings added anything to the mix or whether there was some other disagreement not discussed on forums.

In short, I'm mostly clueless and this post is probably of little help. :P

New neighbors? 23 Nov 2013 09:47 #16727

Sorry for the temporary lock on this topic...i was contemplating splitting this discussion into a specific "crass consumerism" topic, even though Mr. Eleven has chosen to leave the site.

Carry on.

New neighbors? 23 Nov 2013 11:00 #16730

Tom - is there some idea of moving over old material from KFD, that which was lost/rescued after the wetpaint shutdown? Or just to create a space for Kenneth's students and interested parties to continue keeping journals, carrying on discussion, etc.?

New neighbors? 23 Nov 2013 11:10 #16733

Yes, we are planning on moving the existing KFD content over, either as read-only archives (for the Wetpaint stuff), or possibly as topics that can be continued (in the newer forum stuff). We are looking at the technical issues now. Because that is a labour-intensive process that we are doing in the time between our regular daily responsibilities, the immediate goal is, of course, to provide a place for discussions to carry on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackson, Chris Marti, Kate Gowen, Ona Kiser, Laurel Carrington

New neighbors? 23 Nov 2013 12:52 #16742

I'm excited for the old content to have a new home. There's a lot of valuable information in those threads and articles, particularly with regard to the long term practice trajectories of the many individuals who kept regular public journals. Both the specifics AND the overall trends could prove very useful to review.
Last Edit: 23 Nov 2013 12:56 by Jackson.

New neighbors? 23 Nov 2013 13:19 #16748

Yes; I kind of got the impression this place is not his--how shall I say it--cup of tea? Especially a cup with an awakenetwork logo on it. I must admit, though, I was spoiling for more of a fight. So it's a bit disappointing for him to insult us and then leave. I guess certain things haven't really changed for me. :evil:

Edit: Our critic inspired me to put my money where my mouth is and purchase two of the 15-oz. mugs. :) I hope it helps the bottom line.
Last Edit: 23 Nov 2013 13:33 by Laurel Carrington. Reason: update
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackson, Kate Gowen

New neighbors? 23 Nov 2013 14:37 #16763

Laurel Carrington wrote:
I hope it helps the bottom line.

While it has been said before (here and at DhO), it bears repeating as new members join up and read this thread and, possibly, get the wrong impression. There is no fiscal benefit to AwakeNetwork in buying stuff at the shop I set up. It is just for fun. This place runs on dana alone, backed by my credit card.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kate Gowen, cedric reeves
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds