If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New neighbors?

New neighbors? 23 Nov 2013 14:43 #16765

In other words your purchase money for any gewgaws goes to CafePress, source of great gewgaws?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

New neighbors? 23 Nov 2013 14:47 #16767

Sorry, and thanks. I either forgot or failed to take it in when I first heard about it. So I have some nice new mugs coming with our logo on it, which I plan to enjoy using and thinking about this community whenever I do. Plus I'll do some dana as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kate Gowen

New neighbors? 23 Nov 2013 15:01 #16771

Just my own perspective -- I think we need to be careful not to give one or even few people who have a different sensibility about how to run a site likes this too much sway over how we run things. There is room for all points of view and those differing points of view are welcome to find expression here. This one person decided to relinquish their membership voluntarily, so they've clearly decided that this is not the place for them. That's okay. But because that person and some others have expressed a dislike for the AN Boutique is no reason to stop having one. Because some people have expressed a dislike for the way this particular site is managed is no reason for us to stop doing things the way we're doing them. We all have preferences, but that's what they are, preferences.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackson, Kate Gowen, Jake St. Onge, Ona Kiser, AugustLeo, Laurel Carrington, Tina, Rod

New neighbors? 23 Nov 2013 15:17 #16773

My mother, in one of her moments of wisdom that I didn't appreciate as a 12 year old, told me (over laundry - I remember the moment vividly) - the world would be really boring if everyone liked all the same things. This after I complained about someone not agreeing with me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kate Gowen, Tina

New neighbors? 23 Nov 2013 15:43 #16779

Ona Kiser wrote:
In other words your purchase money for any gewgaws goes to CafePress, source of great gewgaws?

That is correct. Looked at another way, that is why much of the stuff is so reasonably priced (IMO). Especially if you hit one of their almost daily 40-70% off sales. I certainly have the option of marking items up, by percentage or by a fixed dollar amount, but after discussing it with Chris when I first set it up, I chose not to do so. Part of the issue is purely an income reporting thing, that I don't want to have the hassle of dealing with.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Marti, Kate Gowen

New neighbors? 23 Nov 2013 16:11 #16786

Yes.

I've never seen a penny come my way from this place. I've shared start up and maintenance costs with Tom, and will be happy to continue to do that. But no money has ever come back my way, ever. So, if that's rampant consumerism then I'm Karl Marx.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kate Gowen, Tina

New neighbors? 23 Nov 2013 16:17 #16789

Chris Marti wrote:
if that's rampant consumerism then I'm Karl Marx.

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people".

:laugh:

New neighbors? 23 Nov 2013 16:19 #16790

If this is a religious place them I'm Jesus Christ.

;-)

New neighbors? 23 Nov 2013 16:23 #16791

This forum may not be religious, but I'm religious. :P (Yes, I'm fine with that word. No, don't call me "spiritual but not religious." Thank you.)

We need more manifestos written by cheerful happy people.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jake St. Onge, every3rdthought, Tina

New neighbors? 23 Nov 2013 16:25 #16796

Don't change the subject - or the object :-)
Last Edit: 23 Nov 2013 16:26 by Chris Marti.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kate Gowen, Ona Kiser, every3rdthought

New neighbors? 23 Nov 2013 16:28 #16799

Ona Kiser wrote:
This forum may not be religious, but I'm religious. :P (Yes, I'm fine with that word. No, don't call me "spiritual but not religious." Thank you.)

Dispirited: How Contemporary Spirituality Makes Us Stupid, Selfish and Unhappy

We need more manifestos written by cheerful happy people.

New neighbors? 23 Nov 2013 16:32 #16800

Consumerism and enlightenment go very well together, btw:

" Put yourself ` one step ahead of the rest'.

The road to Enlightenment & Wealth - revealed to you in
`Enlightenment Made Easy!'.

THIS KNOWLEDGE IS YOUR AWAKENED, ENLIGHTENED SELF.
YOUR BIRTHRIGHT!
POWER, PEACE & FREEDOM CAN NOW BE YOURS!

"ENLIGHTENMENT MADE EASY!"

ARE YOU UNIQUE?
This book is only for ` the particular.' "

(From a real website I refuse to link to.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kate Gowen, every3rdthought

New neighbors? 23 Nov 2013 16:47 #16802

That's a nice mandolin he is playing - I want that. Oh yes it will be mine! :evil:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kate Gowen, every3rdthought

New neighbors? 23 Nov 2013 17:02 #16804

I wanted to say that I really appreciate the Awakenetwork. It is very grounding to my practice. It helps me keep it real.
Much gratitude to everyone here. Thank you especially to those to take the responsibility of the administrative up-keep.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackson, Chris Marti, Kate Gowen, Jake St. Onge, shargrol, Ona Kiser, nadav, Russell, Laurel Carrington, every3rdthought and this user have 3 others thankyou

New neighbors? 24 Nov 2013 12:24 #16831

hmmmm I wonder if it would be lucrative to do a startup where you can hire a naive and idealistic teenage poet to go crash a party..

New neighbors? 27 Nov 2013 07:52 #16952

Chris Marti wrote:
... we'll hopefully get all this worked out soon. I am very happy to be able to get all of Kenneth's content to a safe place. It's something that we've been talking about for a few years, since the demise of his WetPaint site.

It would be great to get all of Kenneth's Wetpaint content onto a stable platform that's regularly backed up.

There's quite a bit of useful content in the forum posts and I really treasure all of Kenneth's written content - it's a very clear elucidation of his perspective and techniques.

The last time I corresponded with Kenneth I mentioned that he should put that content into a book (at least an online book, similar to MCTB), because I think it's too valuable to use.

Apparently he's very busy with his current meditation app project and I wish him the best of luck!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.242 seconds