If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Exercise, fitness and practice

Exercise, fitness and practice 23 Nov 2013 02:34 #16716

Today I was going for a run and doing some weight resistance exercises and I noticed that compared to other times I work out, this time was more difficult and I was getting less forcefully absorbed in it, both while lifting and while running.

So this got me curious to hear what you guys here might have to say about practice effecting exercise.

In particular, I was wondering if my difficulty had to do with a subtle negative mindstate that dulled me to the experience of exertion
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Exercise, fitness and practice 23 Nov 2013 13:07 #16744

That's a good question, and I wish I had a good answer for you!

I know that practice can have the effect of increasing one's sensitivity to being aware of discomfort, and this can, at times, amplify the discomfort of the otherwise easily tolerated suffering of every day activities.

Exercise, fitness and practice 23 Nov 2013 21:37 #16812

I cycle upwards of 1800 miles a year, and I also lift. I've gone through a period of low energy and motivation as my reasons for cycling and lifting underwent some fundamental restructuring. The importance of looks, endurance, strength, speed, and being to push myself just doesn't matter as much as it used to.

Instead, It seems way more important to connect to that simple, childlike pleasure in exercising my body, feeling my muscles move and my lungs breathe. I love the feeling of rain on my face, the company of friends, and the joy of exhaustion after a day-long ride.

That being said, I've found that the basics apply more than ever: I need plenty of water, carbs for fuel, protein for recovery. Most of all, I need plenty of sleep. But even with all this these in place, my mood, performance, willingness, enjoyment, energy levels, strength, hunger, sleep quality, and mental sharpness all vary. That's neither good nor bad. It just is, but it's still good to be curious about it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol, Ona Kiser, Tina
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds