If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Site features

Site features 16 Nov 2014 02:56 #96042

Ona:
So if we can structure some spaces that help make the shy folks feel more free to participate, that's great. Not sure what those would be. Maybe some of the shy folks will make more suggestions!

As a fairly new and quite shy person (though less shy in writing than in person), I'll think about this. I'll say quite honestly that what I love about having landed here is the number of very experienced, advanced, realized people here who so generously comment on journals and help us more junior practitioners understand some context for what we are going through, help us practice sanity amid turmoil, urge us to try new approaches, and gently call us on the carpet when we are headed down a bad alley.

This said, I've sometimes felt too intimidated to start a discussion post or participate much on ones already posted. I don't have that problem on the DhO, because that place is so big and full of . . . hrmmmm, well, let's just say not a small chat room of very experienced serious practitioners. Even though it is cozy here and feels safe in that respect, one is also therefore more visible here and responsible for one's speech acts. Probably a good thing, but can cause shyness in the beginning. Also, I like to observe for a while when I join a new community, so I understand the culture, norms, and what not to do.

Some introductory guide to the site would be good, I feel, as well as some tabs set aide to invite dumb questions from noobs. :whistle:
Last Edit: 16 Nov 2014 02:58 by Jenny Foerst.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Site features 16 Nov 2014 03:19 #96043

Because I've kept journals since I was 12 years old, I love online communities in which journals and discussions on entries are the main feature, or one of them. If I had one wish about the journal format here it would be that comments on posts would somehow look less like an entry in the journal--less disruptive to the flow of the journal itself . So a comment area that was smaller than, looked different from, and was attached to the bottom of a particular entry would be nice, so something less flat and homogeneous with regard to comments-versus-entries..

Site features 16 Nov 2014 13:00 #96049

I'm kinda used to the dho function of being able to see the list of members online each time I check in, but I wish it would sort the members who are logged on by the last time they interacted with the site so I could tell who was really online vs just logged on. Having a status of available to talk would then be nice. Then the ability to chat in a text window would be nice. Then the ability to take the chat to audio/video. I am getting tired of relationships based off of typing...I know some love it but the ability to move along a spectrum of communication would open this up to explore very involved and deep conversations that stay too light or become bookish when typed. I just seem to find typing extremely limiting when it comes to certain topics or when being able to interpret non verbal and para-lingual information that would help clear up misunderstandings. On the Dho I am getting to where I do not wish to interact with those who will not vid at least once...I tend to think they are sockpuppets, this is not a problem here, yet.
I'm sure there are negatives to these things too but I've not seen any forums that have actually tried this seamless ability to shift from one level of communication to another. If we could take out the barriers between these disparate communication methods I really wonder what could happen.
~D

Site features 16 Nov 2014 13:42 #96051

Re: Mobile
2 very, very, very minor quibbles.
- The login error thing happens to me as well. But I stumbled upon the fact that I only have to hit the login button without actually reentering my user name and password so it's not a big deal.
- It would be nice to have dates on posts. I used to use that exclusively to find where I left off in a conversation. But I've gotten used to just following the new posts number so that's also not a big deal. And I also realize you're dealing with really limited space on mobile.

Thanks for the forum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kate Gowen

Site features 16 Nov 2014 14:27 #96052

Yes, also figured out you don't actually have to log in again - just hit the login button. Very clever!!

Re: the increased chat/conferencing features - not of interest to me (I move to skype for that), but I'm probably less "chat online" oriented than some, preferring appointments to meet (even in real life) to lots of random interruptions. I wouldn't mind those features here, but probably would use them infrequently.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kate Gowen

Site features 16 Nov 2014 16:34 #96055

Kirk wrote:
It would be nice to have dates on posts. I used to use that exclusively to find where I left off in a conversation. But I've gotten used to just following the new posts number so that's also not a big deal. And I also realize you're dealing with really limited space on mobile.

How odd. I never noticed that. But if you turn your phone sideways, the timestamp does show up. Frankly, I would want the post # to drop off, if anything, when using the phone in portrait, as opposed to the date. Thanks for pointing that annoyance out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kate Gowen, Ona Kiser

Site features 17 Nov 2014 23:41 #96080

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds