Helping hands

More
9 years 10 months ago #20008 by Tom Otvos
Helping hands was created by Tom Otvos
As many of you know, I am running this site as a passion project. It helps me, obviously, and I want to ensure that it helps you too. But sadly, it is not a free endeavour...not outrageous by any means, which is why I can float the site for a while...but not free. To be precise, it costs USD 22.99 every month for hosting. While many of you have been very generous in the past, it has actually been quite a while since someone tossed something into the tip jar.

I would humbly ask, if you get any value out of this site, that you please take a moment, click on the green button at the top of every page saying "I'd Like to Donate", and pay for just one month. If we get a dozen, I won't have to bug for a year. Don't feel the need to be heroic and pay more...one month is enough if more than one or two answer the call. And I totally get that not everyone can do this, so don't feel as though you are going to be judged if you don't. All donations are anonymous (except to me, of course) and I would never share who donates what.

I'll try and find some gadget to display on the site that shows how much hosting "runway" we have but, in the meantime, you have my thanks.

-- tomo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #20011 by Chris Marti
Replied by Chris Marti on topic Helping hands
Done!

More
9 years 10 months ago #20012 by Russell
Replied by Russell on topic Helping hands
and done...

More
9 years 10 months ago #20013 by Tina
Replied by Tina on topic Helping hands

Russell wrote: and done...

Ditto! :)

More
9 years 10 months ago #20014 by Ona Kiser
Replied by Ona Kiser on topic Helping hands
I hacked the donations and stole $23. :evil:

More
9 years 10 months ago #20016 by Shargrol
Replied by Shargrol on topic Helping hands
I donated thirty seven sheep pelts.

More
9 years 10 months ago #20017 by Ona Kiser
@shargrol - I gave Tom your dinner for two at Outback Steakhouse. :P

More
9 years 10 months ago #20021 by Shargrol
Money much better spent!

More
9 years 10 months ago #20023 by Rod
Replied by Rod on topic Helping hands
Done! :cheer:

More
9 years 10 months ago #20025 by Kacchapa
Replied by Kacchapa on topic Helping hands
Done, thanks for the reminder Tom! Much appreciated.

More
9 years 10 months ago #20026 by Tom Otvos
Replied by Tom Otvos on topic Helping hands
We have surpassed our goal, and I am deeply grateful. Would it help to keep the thermometer somewhere accessible so that you can always see what our "runway" is?

-- tomo

More
9 years 10 months ago #20027 by Shargrol
Short answer: yes.

This is a bit of a tangent, but one of the things that I'm interested in these days is "open book accounting" for spiritual centers. The idea has its advocates and detractors in business, but it seems like the model would be perfect for small religious institutions, meditation centers, etc. Basically having the books open let's people know what they are paying for with their donations and, perhaps more importantly, if the venture iis anywhere close to sustainable.

(p.s. if anybody knows of churches/temples/dharma centers that have taken this route, please let me know.)

More
9 years 10 months ago #20028 by Ona Kiser
Our parish church does this - they only started with the new priest who arrived last year, and I instigated for it, as I'd seen it done on the websites of churches in the UK. If I'm giving money I'd like to know what's being done with the budget.

This for me is less a concern that it's being snuck off with (because if that's happening, posting the account on the bulletin board each month won't reveal it anyway), and more a desire to understand the costs involved - many people think Catholic Churches are funded by a flow of cash from the Vatican. Actually, each parish has to PAY 10% of all collected funds to the archdiocese. The flow is in the other direction. EXCEPT that the priests are on a stipend (just enough to cover clothing needs, local transportation, extra food) (they have room and board at the parish).

But what became clear was that the monthly operating costs (staff, utilities, etc.) are about $10k US a month, and the collections were just under that. Additionally there are separate renovation and repair projects, such as new electric needed (wiring was from the 1940s), a leak in the roof, a broken window, etc that can't be covered except by special appeals for donations.

There's a culture here in the Catholic church in general not to ask for donations. What happens is the priest tells the little committee of the heads of the various parish groups which meets once a month, and then relies on a sort of word of mouth and the local ring of wealthier donors to chip in. Which works. I suggested once they post that: "Hey folks, we have a cost of $20k for the renovations and repairs needed in the west wing, can anyone chip in?" but people were really uncomfortable with that, because it was too culturally unacceptable.

What does seem to have worked is that with the monthly budget the priest posts a printout at the END of each month saying: "this month here were the expenses, and here was the take." And you can draw your own conclusions. But he has been doing that for a year now, and the result has been a doubling of donations.

More
9 years 10 months ago #20029 by Ona Kiser
Tom - you could always leave it at the bottom of the column, perhaps moving it to the top if the need arises. I think it's helpful for people to know.

More
9 years 10 months ago #20034 by Tom Otvos
Replied by Tom Otvos on topic Helping hands
I have added a link in the standard donation banner up top to take you to a page that has the thermometer. Please let me know if you have issues accessing this.

-- tomo